10 gallon stocking

fishlips_lacey

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello, I have a cycled 10 gallon tank that now is only housing a large apple snail. I am moving next week and planning to stock it afterwards. I was hoping to add 3 male, fancy tailed guppies. Also, a family member is giving away their 2 dwarf frogs that come in that tiny little cube thing, and wondering if they could go in the tank as well. My concern is will the frogs be able to learn to swim up to breath in a 10 gallon when they are so used to the tiny little thing they are in. And also worried about guppies and snail stealing their food. Thanks in advance for the advice.

bankruptjojo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
i think it should work. you might have to make sure the frogs get food as they are very slow. if there true aquatic frogs they should do fine in a 10 gallon. make sure there is not to much filter flow for them, they arent the best swimmers.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They should be fine in the 10 gallon.
If they seem to struggle they may need to just get some muscle buuilt up.
If this happens lower the water level until they have a chance to really stretch their legs.

Careful with the guppies.
It's not unusual for adf's to lunge (and catch) something that might smell like food.

Also, as jojo said, be sure the frogs get their share of food. Guppies are quick and could eat it all before the frog finds it.

I'm really glad you're getting them out of that cube!

BigOlePappy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Guppies (like my platy) are notorious for outcompeting others at dinner. I'm not sure how to rectify this.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It's probably a bit easier to help adf's get food with competing fish than fish vs fish.

Spot feed the adf's using blunt tipped tweezers, reptile tweezers or a turkey baster.
They're usually at the bottom so you get the food right in front of their little nose/mouth.

With my froglets I used a plastic tube from an UGF and fed them individually.
I could drop blood worms or pellets in the tube and one would swim up the tube and grab the food.
Then I'd move on to the next frog.

For the adults I'd drop the food through the tube so it landed right in front of them.
They were too big to fit in the tube.
Especially momma. She was a chubbo.

It took some practice but they knew when the tube was in the tank food was coming.
og3

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My frogs were always hard to get to eat even when they were alone so I'd just try and focus on the ADFs getting food by a turkey baster or something

allaboutfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Mine gobble up frozen brine shrimp pretty fast if i soak it first

fishlips_lacey

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks everyone. The filter on the tank is just the standard filter it came with. I don't think the flow would be too much, but not sure?! And should I really be worried that the frogs will try to eat the guppies? How often do they come up for air and at what point should I decide to interfere and take them out?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom