10 gallon stocking with Dwarf Gourmani.

1. 1thing

1thing Valued Member Member

So I'm going moving my stock from my current 10 gallon to a larger tank!!

In the 10 gallon I will have a Dwarf Gourami left in there!!

so what could I put in there with him?

thing

2. Viriam Karo

Viriam Karo Well Known Member Member

Dwarf Gourmand... lol

Anyway, why not put your DG into the 20 gal? He'd appreciate the extra space.

3. OP
    OP
    1thing

Well I initially had 2 in the 10 gallon because they were miss sold to me!!!

:(

and i I think it would be good to keep both if needed I could rehouse him if there is anything cool I could do to my 10g

thing

4. h

hopeful fish Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't put anything in with him in the 10. IMO, a 10 is the absolute minimum for a DG, and if you can, I'd get him in a bigger tank. Once he's in a bigger tank, fish can go in with him, but in a 10 gallon, I'd only add some snails or shrimp (if they don't get eaten).

5. Viriam Karo

Bioload-wise I think you're actually probably okay with a couple of other small fish. IME DGs are not aggressive to other community fish, though they are pretty insistent on getting their food, and it might be different with smaller territory.

Do you already have a QT?

6. hollie1505

hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

MY DG hates white mollies. Just the white ones, just mollies. I suppose they are all individual!x

7. OP
    OP
    1thing

I don't have a QT ATM but there are other small tanks I can use as one in the house!!

but ATM with the two DG's in the 10g they never bother any other fish!!

so I was thinking a group of some kind of tetra!!

i don't want neon as I already have them!

would this work?

thing

8. Viriam Karo

How small are your small tanks?

If you can rehome one of the DGs, I would do that. Keep the 10 gal as a QT. If you have a 5 gal tank or something and you really want a second tank, you could maybe stock that with some shrimp.

9. h

hopeful fish Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't put any tetras in a 10 gallon. They really belong in 20+.

10. ricmcc

ricmcc Well Known Member Member

I realise that this sort of goes against the Orthodoxy of Fishkeeping, but I read an interesting article in TFH a month or 3 ago about the author breeding his DG in a ten gallon (I know, TFH is not the most reliable source, but does have great pictures, sort of like National Geographic:) ).
    His method was to keep as many hides as possible for the female, mostly plants, but any port in a storm, as they say (that add to condition them well, especially the female, even if you need add a divider).
    The advantage is that their already impressive colours become even more so when spawning.
    Just a thought------rick.

11. Bob Ellis

Bob Ellis Valued Member Member

Mine are happy in a ten.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum