10 Gallon Stocking. (ultra-beginner)

1. fisher282715 Member Member

Hi everyone,

Brand new here and thinking about getting my first tank. I have been reading up, so I have some basic knowledge, but don't know too much about filters, sumps, etc. But this thread is about fish. I was thinking about getting a ten gallon and was hoping for a setup similar to this but am unsure about what fish specifically. Here it is...

1 group of schooling fish (I was thinking a type of tetra)
    1-2 centerpiece fish. Looking for something slightly bigger than some nano ones, and be the main attraction of the tank. Maybe one that particularly dwells in the middle area?
    A few shrimp and maybe a nerite snail. (Heard these were good cleanup crew)

Can anyone give me a few setups according to this plan?

2. Kenny777 Well Known Member Member

Not much schooling fish can fit in a 10 gallon same with the centerpiece. I can give a few suggestions if you want to here them? But not sure if they interest you?

3. FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

For a 10 gallon, you could do:
    6 Harlequin Rasboras (that would be pushing it)
    2 Male Endler Guppies
    with a aquaclear 30 and the temperature at 77f.

4. fisher282715 Member Member

I would love to hear any options that you have!

5. PLECO657 Member Member

What kind of centerpiece fish are you looking to get? A ten gallon is pretty small and personally I would recommend getting as big of a tank as you can get in the situation. Believe it or not the smaller the tank the harder it is to care for because the water is affected much more by fish waste than a large one. (Take it from me my 55 gallon is 10x easier than my 10 gallon) but for a ten gallon I would say a few tetras and maybe some guppies with a few cherry shrimp would be good. Just make sure your filter can support this amount of fish. ESPECIALLY the biological filtration so you don't suffer from ammonia poisoning.

6. Kenny777 Well Known Member Member

Options:
    1) 3 Dwarf puffers

2) 1 Betta
    5 Ghost Shrimp
    2 Nerite Snails
    Or an all invterbrate tank
    15 Ghost Shrimp
    5 Nerite Snails

7. Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

8. minervalong Well Known Member Member

I am building a 10g nano and going with a rasbora, haven't decided which. Celestial pearl danio, emerald dwarf rasbora, or chili rasbora with snails and shrimp and perhaps a pearl gourami for centerpiece.

9. Kenny777 Well Known Member Member

That sounds like to much for a 10gallon all of those fish like to be in groups 6+

10. Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

The rasboras you listed can go in a 10 gallon, but the pearl gouramis get to be 4-5 inches long.

11. Kenny777 Well Known Member Member

Won't the Danios eat the shrimp or am I wrong??

12. Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

Celestial pearl danios only get to about 3/4 of an inch. They're pretty safe with shrimp.

13. DHIWZ Member Member

@fisher282715 I agree with @Bruxes and Bubbles, some ember tetras and 1-2 male guppies would make a nice setup as far as fish go. Since guppies get considerably larger than ember tetras they could appear like a small centerpiece fish.

There are really pretty and interesting fish like Sparkling Gourami, Scarlet Badis, etc. that could live in a 10 gallon, but they are pretty high demanding and I would shy away from them as a beginner. They tend to be a little more sensitive to water conditions and/or picky with food.

The setup suggested above would be extremely stunning with a planted tank, and you'd also have more than enough room to stock a considerable cleanup crew of your favorite shrimp and snails, which is key to the long term success of a tank. In a tank as small as a 10 gallon water conditions can swing drastically if you have some organic debris or uneaten food, and the cleanup crew would be able to scavenge off these bits before they can cause any harm.

All in all it would be a nice, relatively low-maintenance setup that would provide you with a good base to work off of if you ever decided to stock a bigger tank.

14. minervalong Well Known Member Member

Thanks for that Bruxes, I hadn't researched them yet. Just saw one and thought they were pretty and maybe a candidate for this tank.

15. minervalong Well Known Member Member

Yep the larger the school the better for those, but don't worry, I've researched them, all except the pearl, and have had the plan, all except the pearl, run by the folks here. Those are all microrasboras, not getting bigger than 1" and since it will be one school of one of the types, then I think I am ok as the snails I plan and the shrimp I plan have a low bioload.

16. BettaPonic Well Known Member Member

You can keep a colony of Least Killifish. They are really good beginner fish. There are a few other good beginner Livebearers for a ten gallon.

17. fisher282715 Member Member

I am looking to get anything slightly bigger than the other fish, as well as maybe more bold as well.

18. fisher282715 Member Member

Wow, this was super helpful. Thanks so much!

19. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to fishlore!
    I'd do this:
    8 ember tetras
    2 peacock gudgeons
    15 red cherry shrimp
    2 nerite snails

20. halljo222 Member Member

I would suggest

10x Neon Tetras (Schooling fish)
    1x Neon Dwarf Gourami (Centre piece
    4x Otto catfish