10 gallon stocking questions

Griffboy123

Hello, I was thinking of adding a honey gourami to my 10 gallon tank along with a school of 9 ember tetras or green rasboras and a few shrimp/snail. I read that honey gourami get lonely if kept alone and was wondering if I could get another? I wouldn’t mind sacrificing a few of the schooling fish but would prefer to keep them above 9. Is there a substitute for a gourami (or different fish) that does well by itself alone or is it fine if I add 2 females and 1 male gourami?

KingOscar

Wouldn't the Embers alone fully stock a 10? I'd leave it at that.

Griffboy123

I’m not sure, it’s planted quite a bit and has a good filter. I would enjoy having a centerpiece fish also, so I wouldn’t mind having 6 tetras instead. Would that work better you think?

Noroomforshoe

Honey gourami do best in a school of six or more in a 20-gallon tank or larger. A female betta would be a possible center piece for your tank with 6-9 ember tetra.

Griffboy123

i would be okay with that just worried about aggression there. Maybe ottos instead of the Tetras?

Noroomforshoe

Ottos can be a problem, they require a lot of live algae. They do not always adapt to processed foods. and a ten gallon may run out of algae. A female betta and ember tetra should work, there is always a chance that it won't, you are right. Pygmy cories and a female betta should work. Kuhli loaches and betta are another possibility.

Griffboy123

The only thing is I have a gravel substrate and don’t know if that would be ideal for bottom dwellers, is that something that would be a problem?

Noroomforshoe

I think it depends on how sharp it is. I use smooth edged natural type gravel and I have 12-13 year old loaches with long barbels.

Random Great Thread!

New Aquarium Stocking Threads

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom