10 gallon Stocking Question after cycling

Bettafish1

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
TW2AQUATICS said:
Hi all,

With a tank processing 2PPM ammonia within a day, how should stocking for this tank go?

12x Cardinal Tetras
5x Panda Corys
3x Hillstream Loaches
3X Rabbit Snails

Cheers!
Is your tank cycled? It needs to be cycled, then be 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and low nitrates. If its cycled, what size tank do you have? If you get at least one more panda it could be ok. I've only had pandas from you're list so I hope someone with more experience posts as well :)

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Cardinals and cories are fine together, but the loaches have very different temperature and O2 needs.

Bettafish1

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
MacZ said:
Cardinals and cories are fine together, but the loaches have very different temperature and O2 needs.
If they have different needs, dont get the loaches op

OP
LadfromLondon

LadfromLondon

Well Known
Reaction score
StarGirl15 said:
Depends on the size? ;)
10G haha!

Bettafish1 said:
Is your tank cycled? It needs to be cycled, then be 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and low nitrates. If its cycled, what size tank do you have? If you get at least one more panda it could be ok. I've only had pandas from you're list so I hope someone with more experience posts as well :)
10G tank fully cycled, yeah sorry I’m planning to get 6 Panda Corys not 5!

I
MacZ said:
i’ve heard people even manage to breed to the loaches 80+ so I figured I could try it out?...

Bettafish1

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
TW2AQUATICS said:
10G tank fully cycled, yeah sorry I’m planning to get 6 Panda Corys not 5!
A ten gallon is too small for any corys except pygmies. I've heard tetras can get nippy so smaller tanks and cardinals probably shouldn't mix. Also the hillstream loaches would need a 20gal. The snails should be ok. You could maybe do some male endlers or guppies, rabbit snails, and some rcs. Or if you dont want anything that could breed you could do 8 pygmy corys and your rabbit snails

kanzekatores

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Your stock could be fine if you lower a few numbers. Decrease your tetra number to 6-8 and maybe try out neons instead which look similar but are smaller and would match up more with the temperature of the hill stream loaches. And pick one bottom dweller: a few loaches, or corydoras. Also look into dwarf corydoras species? There are ways to keep your stock similar without such a large bioload.

Bettafish1

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
watermelon46 said:
Your stock could be fine if you lower a few numbers. Decrease your tetra number to 6-8 and maybe try out neons instead which look similar but are smaller and would match up the temperature more with the hillstream loaches. And pick one bottom dweller: a few loaches, or corydoras. Also look into dwarf corydoras species? There are ways to keep your stock similar without such a large bioload.
Corys need 20gal longs so a 10 gallon wouldn't cut it. Mine are super active and my 20 long is almost too small

kanzekatores

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Bettafish1 said:
Corys need 20gal longs so a 10 gallon wouldn't cut it. Mine are super active and my 20 long is almost too small
I know some disagree but I think dwarf species of cories like the dwarf Cory, salt and pepper Cory, and Pygmy Cory can cut it for a 10. Bigger species might feel slightly cramped.

Bettafish1

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
watermelon46 said:
I know some disagree but I think dwarf species of cories like the dwarf Cory, salt and pepper Cory, and Pygmy Cory can cut it for a 10. Bigger species might feel slightly cramped.
Yes pygmies should be fine- just not bigger species:)

OP
LadfromLondon

LadfromLondon

Well Known
Reaction score
bgntoc said:
I suck at conversion and stuff like that but if I'm not mistaken the stocking you have will be a bit cramped in that tank size.
Oh I’ll look into this, but which would you put into a newly cycled tank first? All of them at once?

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
TW2AQUATICS said:
Oh I’ll look into this, but which would you put into a newly cycled tank first? All of them at once?
I think it'll be fine if you add all of them at once, however I personally would split it up in at least two groups just in case.

OP
LadfromLondon

LadfromLondon

Well Known
Reaction score
bgntoc said:
I think it'll be fine if you add all of them at once, however I personally would split it up in at least two groups just in case.
bgntoc said:
Cheers for your help! :)

MrBryan723

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The more stock you want to add at once, the higher the amount of ammonia you need to be able to process in a day. With those stock levels in such a small tank, i would make sure you can process at least 3ppm.

New Threads