10 Gallon Tank 10 Gallon Stocking List?

lolapetrovik

Hi everyone!

I am pretty new to the hobby and have been researching and looking at ideas for stocking a 10 gallon that I have yet to plant and cycle. I have written down a few stock lists that I have seen for a 10 gallon aquarium and I would like to paste them over here to see what other more experienced keepers have to say about them.
Please feel free to critique and give more information about each list; whether it would work or not, or if you have tried one of these combos.

1. 1 Male Betta + 6 Dwarf Corydoras + 2 Snails
  1. 6 Female Bettas + 2 Snails
  1. 7 Micro Danios (Celestial Pearl Danios OR Zebra Danios) + 2 Snails OR 5-10 Shrimp (5 Ghost Shrimp OR 10 Cherry Shrimp)
  1. 20 Shrimp (10+ Cherry Shrimp OR 6+ Amano Shrimp OR 10+ Blue Velvet Shrimp OR 5+ Ghost Shrimp) + 2 Snails
  1. 3 Peacock Gudgeons (1 Male + 2 Females) + 5 Male Endler’s Livebearers + 2 Snails OR 3-5 Shrimp (3 Ghost Shrimp OR 5 Cherry Shrimp)
  1. 6 Scarlet Badis + 3 Snails
  1. 6 Dwarf Chain Loaches + 5 Micro Danios (Celestial Pearl Danios OR Zebra Danios)
  1. 12 Male Endler’s Livebearers + 5-10 Shrimp (5 Ghost Shrimp OR 10 Cherry Shrimp) + 1 Snail
  1. 5-10 Tetras (6 Cardinal Tetras OR 10 Neon Tetras OR 5 Rummy Nose Tetras) + 3-6 Shrimp (3 Ghost Shrimp OR 6 Cherry Shrimp)
  1. 3 Sparkling Gouramis (1 Male + 2 Females) + 6 Neon Tetras + 1 Snail

jinjerJOSH22

Hi, welcome to fishlore

So the Tetra you've picked really aren't great for a 10 gallon and neither are Zebra Danios. I'd also avoid a Betta sorority in a 10, they often fail in larger tanks let alone smaller ones.

Ember Tetra, Chilli Rasbora, CPDs, Green Neon Tetra are a few that are more suitable for this tank size.

I would go for the Sparkling Gourami, keep around 10 and try to get 1-3 males, they are very entertaining fish to watch

Upvote 0

bumblinBee

jinjerJOSH22 is correct. I would say to either go for the sparkling gourami option as they suggested, "I would go for the Sparkling Gourami, keep around 10 and try to get 1-3 males, they are very entertaining fish to watch" OR your first option of the single betta (might I recommend a plakat male or a female instead of the standard long fin males) with dwarf cories and snails.

Upvote 0

The_fishy

1. 1 Male Betta + 6 Dwarf Corydoras + 2 Snails
Maybe; many people think that the dwarf cories should get at least a 20 long.

1. 6 Female Bettas + 2 Snails
Do not do this in a 10, especially as a beginner. A 20 long tank should be the absolute minimum for a sorority attempt, but a larger tank with more females is better. These tend to be very finicky setups better left to experienced keepers with space to separate out females if necessary.

1. 7 Micro Danios (Celestial Pearl Danios OR Zebra Danios) + 2 Snails OR 5-10 Shrimp (5 Ghost Shrimp OR 10 Cherry Shrimp)
Zebra danios are too active for anything under than a 20 long, but the CPD with snails and cherry shrimp would do nicely. You could probably do more than 10 shrimp.

1. 20 Shrimp (10+ Cherry Shrimp OR 6+ Amano Shrimp OR 10+ Blue Velvet Shrimp OR 5+ Ghost Shrimp) + 2 Snails
This sounds good! You could keep up to 100 shrimp in a 10 gallon (get fewer than this, but don’t be surprised if they breed to a carrying capacity around 100). You could do cherry or blue velvet with amano without interbreeding.

1. 3 Peacock Gudgeons (1 Male + 2 Females) + 5 Male Endler’s Livebearers + 2 Snails OR 3-5 Shrimp (3 Ghost Shrimp OR 5 Cherry Shrimp)
I don’t have extended experience with livebearers with gudgeons, so I’m not going to comment on this one. Gudgeons on their own with the shrimp should be fine though.

1. 6 Scarlet Badis + 3 Snails
Could be done, but needs to be densely planted (like tank looks full of plants) and the badis will likely only eat live or frozen food.

1. 6 Dwarf Chain Loaches + 5 Micro Danios (Celestial Pearl Danios OR Zebra Danios)
I wouldn’t do this in anything smaller that a 20 long.

1. 12 Male Endler’s Livebearers + 5-10 Shrimp (5 Ghost Shrimp OR 10 Cherry Shrimp) + 1 Snail
The number of endlers seems very high here, but I am not a livebearer keeper. You’d likely was some sight breakers for when the males start to harass each other.

1. 5-10 Tetras (6 Cardinal Tetras OR 10 Neon Tetras OR 5 Rummy Nose Tetras) + 3-6 Shrimp (3 Ghost Shrimp OR 6 Cherry Shrimp)
All of these tetras need a 20 long or larger because of activity levels and individual size.

1. 3 Sparkling Gouramis (1 Male + 2 Females) + 6 Neon Tetras + 1 Snail
This would work if you swapped the neons for something else, such as shrimp or ember tetras or scarlet badis or kubotai rasboras.

Let me know if you have more questions!

Upvote 0

redmare

I like your first option. My 10 gallon is nearly done cycling and I'm gonna do a betta with 6 habrosus cories, i think they're cuter than the pygmies but that's just preference

Upvote 0

lolapetrovik

Hi, welcome to fishlore

So the Tetra you've picked really aren't great for a 10 gallon and neither are Zebra Danios. I'd also avoid a Betta sorority in a 10, they often fail in larger tanks let alone smaller ones.

Ember Tetra, Chilli Rasbora, CPDs, Green Neon Tetra are a few that are more suitable for this tank size.

I would go for the Sparkling Gourami, keep around 10 and try to get 1-3 males, they are very entertaining fish to watch
Thank you so much for the input! I will edit my list according to this.

jinjerJOSH22 is correct. I would say to either go for the sparkling gourami option as they suggested, "I would go for the Sparkling Gourami, keep around 10 and try to get 1-3 males, they are very entertaining fish to watch" OR your first option of the single betta (might I recommend a plakat male or a female instead of the standard long fin males) with dwarf cories and snails.
Okay thank you! A single Betta with dwarf cories and snails sounds great as well.

Maybe; many people think that the dwarf cories should get at least a 20 long.

Do not do this in a 10, especially as a beginner. A 20 long tank should be the absolute minimum for a sorority attempt, but a larger tank with more females is better. These tend to be very finicky setups better left to experienced keepers with space to separate out females if necessary.

Zebra danios are too active for anything under than a 20 long, but the CPD with snails and cherry shrimp would do nicely. You could probably do more than 10 shrimp.

This sounds good! You could keep up to 100 shrimp in a 10 gallon (get fewer than this, but don’t be surprised if they breed to a carrying capacity around 100). You could do cherry or blue velvet with amano without interbreeding.

I don’t have extended experience with livebearers with gudgeons, so I’m not going to comment on this one. Gudgeons on their own with the shrimp should be fine though.

Could be done, but needs to be densely planted (like tank looks full of plants) and the badis will likely only eat live or frozen food.

I wouldn’t do this in anything smaller that a 20 long.

The number of endlers seems very high here, but I am not a livebearer keeper. You’d likely was some sight breakers for when the males start to harass each other.

All of these tetras need a 20 long or larger because of activity levels and individual size.

This would work if you swapped the neons for something else, such as shrimp or ember tetras or scarlet badis or kubotai rasboras.

Let me know if you have more questions!
Thanks so much for all the input! I’ll edit the list according to your advice and if you have any more stocking recommendations I’m completely open to them!

I like your first option. My 10 gallon is nearly done cycling and I'm gonna do a betta with 6 habrosus cories, i think they're cuter than the pygmies but that's just preference
That sounds great! I’ll definitely look into other similar cories, thanks for the recommendation.

Upvote 0

DuaneV

Dwarf Corys are going to want MUCH cooler water than a Betta. A Betta (ESPECIALLY as someone new to fishkeeping) will be better kept at 80/82 (Ive kept all my Bettas at 82 for the last 10 years and they do MUCH better there) and Dwarf Corys will do much better around 74/76. In fish terms, thats a BIG difference.

Upvote 0

lolapetrovik

Dwarf Corys are going to want MUCH cooler water than a Betta. A Betta (ESPECIALLY as someone new to fishkeeping) will be better kept at 80/82 (Ive kept all my Bettas at 82 for the last 10 years and they do MUCH better there) and Dwarf Corys will do much better around 74/76. In fish terms, thats a BIG difference.
Thank you for that information! What other fish would you suggest keeping with a betta? I've looked at some but is there any that you specifically have kept with a Betta and done well with?

Upvote 0

The_fishy

Other options:

-Peaceful wild betta species (1 female, 2 male) with nano schooling fish and a snail

-African shell dwellers

-Cherry shrimp and 10 Asian stone catfish (Nocturnal though and require frozen or live foods)

-3 Mexican dwarf crayfish (will need numerous caves, rock piles work well for this) and a small schooling fish

-2 pea puffers (requires plenty of plants)

-6 Gertrude’s spotted blue eye rainbow fish or red blue eyed rainbow fish, shrimp, and 2 snails

Thank you for that information! What other fish would you suggest keeping with a betta? I've looked at some but is there any that you specifically have kept with a Betta and done well with?
Nano schoolers can be done with a betta depending on the betta’s personality and plant density. I have gold ring danios with mine.

Upvote 0

lolapetrovik

Other options:

-Peaceful wild betta species (1 female, 2 male) with nano schooling fish and a snail

-African shell dwellers

-Cherry shrimp and 10 Asian stone catfish (Nocturnal though and require frozen or live foods)

-3 Mexican dwarf crayfish (will need numerous caves, rock piles work well for this) and a small schooling fish

-2 pea puffers (requires plenty of plants)

-6 Gertrude’s spotted blue eye rainbow fish or red blue eyed rainbow fish, shrimp, and 2 snails

Nano schoolers can be done with a betta depending on the betta’s personality and plant density. I have gold ring danios with mine.
Thank you so much! I am definitely going to revise the list and maybe put something like Ember Tetras with the Betta.

Upvote 0

New Aquarium Stocking Threads

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom