10 Gallon Stocking Ideas

Anthony DiMezza

Member
going to have a 10 gallon tank to spare and looking for some invertebrate stocking ideas. also this 10 gallon just had goldies in it so besides the water should I also put in new filters?
 

Sarah73

Member
Anthony DiMezza said:
going to have a 10 gallon tank to spare and looking for some invertebrate stocking ideas. also this 10 gallon just had goldies in it so besides the water should I also put in new filters?
Give the goldfish back please. They don't need to be in a tank that small. Heard of the nitrogen cycle?
 

WTFish?

Member
I’m thinking there is no longer Goldie’s in this tank? He is asking about inverts.....so, as long as there were no diseases etc, I’d just clean the filter in dirty tank water. Check parameters and make sure it’s still cycled before adding anything.
 
  • Thread Starter

Anthony DiMezza

Member
Sarah73 said:
Give the goldfish back please. They don't need to be in a tank that small. Heard of the nitrogen cycle?
I know about the nitrogen cycle I'm just new and didnt know that those fish couldnt be kept in a 10 gallon tank.

WTFish? said:
I’m thinking there is no longer Goldie’s in this tank? He is asking about inverts.....so, as long as there were no diseases etc, I’d just clean the filter in dirty tank water. Check parameters and make sure it’s still cycled before adding anything.
they won't be in there soon and no diseases the tank is just too small for them so I'm trying to give them to someone and make it an invert tank instead and id probably start from scrach with they nitrogen cycle and do a fishless cycle before putting them in there
 

Bithimala

Member
What do you like? Shrimp, snails?
 
  • Thread Starter

Anthony DiMezza

Member
Bithimala said:
What do you like? Shrimp, snails?
I was thinking shrimp
 

ElectricBlueCrawfish1

Member
Anthony DiMezza said:
I was thinking shrimp
Just joining in, saltwater or freshwater?

ElectricBlueCrawfish1 said:
Just joining in, saltwater or freshwater?
Freshwater: Cherry shrimp and crowntail betta. Or Molly's of course but those are kind of boring so I would go with more like tetras or tiger barbs. Maybe some Cory cats.
Saltwater: Not the right guy to get asking.

Cool shrimp!: Blue fairy shrimp, cherry shrimp, ghost shrimp, atya gabonensis, amano shrimp,and for extra cool: DWARF MEXICAN CRAYFISH!!! It is supper cute.
 
  • Thread Starter

Anthony DiMezza

Member
ElectricBlueCrawfish1 said:
Cool shrimp!: Blue fairy shrimp, cherry shrimp, ghost shrimp, atya gabonensis, amano shrimp,and for extra cool: DWARF MEXICAN CRAYFISH!!! It is supper cute.
Hey I’m actually thinking about getting a blue cray for my 20 gallon but it’s a high 20 gallon is that still okay for one blue cray?

ElectricBlueCrawfish1 said:
Cool shrimp!: Blue fairy shrimp, cherry shrimp, ghost shrimp, atya gabonensis, amano shrimp,and for extra cool: DWARF MEXICAN CRAYFISH!!! It is supper cute.
And how many cherry shrimp would you suggest for a 10 gallon?
 

Dakotablue

Member
I'd get the Dwarf mexican blue cray, pretty cool and not much bigger than dwarf shrimp. Been eyeing up the orange version myself. Leaves you more bioload for other additions!

As for cherries, you can have a lot in a 10 gallon. Because they are pretty affordable I'd start with 10-20, but you could start with as little as 1 berried female or as many as 100. Lots of great color choices too if red isn't your favorite.
 

Robjoco

Member
In my area the shrimp are really pricey, but I’m loving snails! They’re surprisingly fun to watch!
 

Bithimala

Member
I'd probably go with RCS or some other neocaridina strain to start if it's your first time with shrimp. They tend to be pretty forgiving. And yes, starting with something like 10 would probably be reasonable. I would not add fish with them into a 10 gallon tank. Betta will likely eat them, and most other fish either don't do well in 10s, or would make a snack out of the young, even if they left the adults alone.
 

ElectricBlueCrawfish1

Member
Bithimala said:
I'd probably go with RCS or some other neocaridina strain to start if it's your first time with shrimp. They tend to be pretty forgiving. And yes, starting with something like 10 would probably be reasonable. I would not add fish with them into a 10 gallon tank. Betta will likely eat them, and most other fish either don't do well in 10s, or would make a snack out of the young, even if they left the adults alone.
Already decided on what you want to do I would do these minI Red Lobster thing he's there at the pet store they're kind of expensive for how big they are but they're really cute looking and you can probably put a ton of them in a 10 gallon.


ElectricBlueCrawfish1 said:
Already decided on what you want to do I would do these minI Red Lobster thing he's there at the pet store they're kind of expensive for how big they are but they're really cute looking and you can probably put a ton of them in a 10 gallon.
I don't think that they are get aggressive because of their size so they can't hurt anything else in the tank. But they only get like 1 inch big. So I guess they're more for the hobbyist.
 
  • Thread Starter

Anthony DiMezza

Member
ElectricBlueCrawfish1 said:
Already decided on what you want to do I would do these minI Red Lobster thing he's there at the pet store they're kind of expensive for how big they are but they're really cute looking and you can probably put a ton of them in a 10 gallon.


I don't think that they are get aggressive because of their size so they can't hurt anything else in the tank. But they only get like 1 inch big. So I guess they're more for the hobbyist.
ive been leaning away from RCS because they require(at least that's what I read) an RO and I don't really want to spend money on it. do these guys need an RO?
 

WTFish?

Member
Anthony DiMezza said:
ive been leaning away from RCS because they require(at least that's what I read) an RO and I don't really want to spend money on it. do these guys need an RO?
Well, long story short, I have hard water and I bought shrimp from soft, so I did half RO (after several deaths) until a few batches of babies were born, then I eased out of it, back to tap, a few more adults died but the babies were now born into it and survived. Basically I started with 7 shrimp and now 6 months later I have hundreds! No more RO.....Ok that wasn’t short but you get it. They are very fun!
 

BRDrew

Member
Anthony DiMezza said:
ive been leaning away from RCS because they require(at least that's what I read) an RO and I don't really want to spend money on it. do these guys need an RO?
I have loads of RCS and never used an RO system. Just make sure to acclimate them properly and you'll be fine IMO.
 

Bithimala

Member
Agreed. I have 3 neocaridina tanks running and none are on RO.
 

75g Discus Tank

Member
If you want any population control, I would get a smaller micro predator that will eat some of the babies but won’t hurt the adults.

If you don’t want this, I totally understand. If you do, my recommendation would be 3-5 sparkling gourami.

Keep the plant heavily planted with lots of hiding places in the hardscape.
 
  • Thread Starter

Anthony DiMezza

Member
75g Discus Tank said:
If you want any population control, I would get a smaller micro predator that will eat some of the babies but won’t hurt the adults.

If you don’t want this, I totally understand. If you do, my recommendation would be 3-5 sparkling gourami.

Keep the plant heavily planted with lots of hiding places in the hardscape.
thanks guys! anything else I shoul know about RCS that I can't find in google? lol
 

Mick Frost

Member
RCS are hardy. Drip acclimate from 6.5 RO water to 7.8 Tap water overnight and they do just fine. They do seem to breed a lot more in soft water.
Caridina shrimp (Bee Shrimp, CRS, etc) are the ones that are picky.
 

Bithimala

Member
Anthony DiMezza said:
thanks guys! anything else I shoul know about RCS that I can't find in google? lol
If they feel safe, they'll be all over the tank. They don't just hang out at the bottom
 

Most photos and links are disabled if you are not logged into the forum.

Log in or register to view

Top Bottom