10 Gallon Stocking Ideas

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by myerlemons, Jul 29, 2017.

1. myerlemons

myerlemonsValued MemberMember

Hi! This is my very first post on Fishlore. I just bought an Aquaculture 10g for about $14. I plan to decorate, plant, cycle, etc. as normal. In the meantime, I was wondering about stocking options.
    I'm getting a betta in an old 5g (heated, filtered, planted, still currently cycling) and some RCS or Amano shrimp with it, so I'm not particularly interested in having the 10g with another one. Mostly, I'm looking for a simple tropical community tank. I've based these off other stocking lists I've seen on Fishlore, either suggested or from the profiles of other users.
    Some ideas I had:
    SETUP 1:
    6 Ember Tetra
    3 Asian Stone Catfish
    RCS
    Nerite snails (how many?)

SETUP 2:
    6 Black Bar Endler's Livebearers
    3 Panda cories
    RCS
    1 Mystery Snail

SETUP 3:
    6 Neon Tetra
    3 Panda cories
    RCS
    1 Mystery Snail

SETUP 4:
    6 Cardinal Tetra
    3 Panda cories
    RCS
    1 Mystery Snail

SETUP 5:
    6 Ember Tetra
    3 Panda cories
    RCS
    1 Mystery Snail

Any thoughts? I don't want to overstock or cause stress due to schools that are too small.

2. goplecos

goplecosWell Known MemberMember

3. Kenny777

Kenny777Well Known MemberMember

First off Cories need to be in groups 6+
    Here's some more options
    3 Dwarf Puffers
    OR
    1 Betta
    10 Amano Shrimp
    2 Nerites
    OR
    8 Celestrial Pearl Danios
    10 Red Cherries
    2 Nerites

4. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeperFishlore VIPMember

Just to note that panda cories, neon tetras, and cardinals need a 20 gallon minimum.

5. OP
    OP
    myerlemons

In what order should they be introduced after the cycle is complete? Are some hardier than others?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  6. goplecos

I doesn't matter that much as long as the tank is cycled. I would add the Endlers or the CPDs, and the Snails first, and the Catfish And the Shrimp last, because they are the most sensitive to water quality.

7. OP
    OP
    myerlemons

Ok thanks!! I really love CPDs and I'm looking forward to it!!

8. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

9. Logan AdamsNew MemberMember

Get a great white with that size whoah. You will need a big heater would recommend  

10. OP
    OP
    myerlemons

That's a computer graphics card lmao... I read that 50W would be good for a 10g. I have one in my 5g that keeps the water at a perfect 80F, so I think I'll repurchase that. The fish I'm getting do prefer cooler water, so the 5 extra gallons should spread it out.

Yeah, I saw that in a google search before I joined. Good ideas, but I didn't know how many of each species would be good in a multi-species tank or if they were compatible.

I'm into the idea of a community, but I can't seem to find caresheets/resources on ASC. And to top it off they're near impossible to find on the Internet, even Aquabid. Are there any other bottom feeding alternatives?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2017
  11. Anders247

12. goplecos

You can find almost everything we suggested here on   . They have the best customer service and though their shipping is a little more expensive you are paying for the safety of the fish. I have done several orders from them and I have had one fish DOA.

13. OP
    OP
    myerlemons

I like the peacock gudgeons! Do they have any special care requirements?

14. Anders247

Not in my experience. I have 2 in my 10g right now.

15. OP
    OP
    myerlemons

What does everyone think about sparkling/honey/dwarf gouramis? I think the 10g stocking list said 5 sparkling could work.

16. Anders247

Honey or dwarf get too big, imo. But sparkling would be fine.

17. OP
    OP
    myerlemons

Well, we don’t have any good freshwater LFS where I live, and I’m too broke for shipping. So I got 3 cute little platies!

18. Mushishi

MushishiWell Known MemberMember

If you have a tank for ONLY local flora and fauna, you can make a natural SUPER INEXPENSIVE tank. But I only recommend invertebrates and plants. Wild fish should stay where they are.

19. OP
    OP
    myerlemons

Interesting! However, the streams/creeks I live near are polluted af and don’t have much growing or living there

20. Mushishi

MushishiWell Known MemberMember

Oh no! That is always so sad to hear. Here in Wisconsin the majority of our streams and lakes are fine but the further south you go the worse it gets it seems.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice