10 Gallon Stocking Help

1. c

cornmonster Initiate Member

Hi.
    I've been cycling a 10 gallonGallo for 2 months and just added 6 neon tetras. They all seem to be doing great.
    I was wondering if I could add a couple of platys in there?
    Thank you.

2. Dan12boy

Dan12boy Member Member

You couldon't get some corys or snails or shrimp

Mistake meant to say you could keep(not couldn't).

3. diddakoi

diddakoi Member Member

There are a lot of fish that are compatible tank mates with neon tetras, just be wary that neon tetras are prone to sickness due to severe inbreeding - I've found out the hard way and am looking at euthanizing some of mine as they're in a bad way - they've been in my tank since around Christmas/New Years and have been crook for some time now.

I have lyretail mollies and a bristlenose pleco in my tank. Algae eaters are always good tank mates with neons!

4. Duardo

Duardo Member Member

You can always get more schooling fish and have 2 different types of schooling fish! Or get more neons! Its really nice to see them move around the tank, if not bottom feeders are always a nice sight since theyre always actives like corys.

5. KaitlynR

KaitlynR Well Known Member Member

I've done so much research on what can and can't go into a 10 gallon, as I have a 10 gallon myself!

there are no cories that are suitable for a 10 gallon. It's just not okay. They require so much more space than you think due to how active they are. I would definitely not recommend cories.

Since you already have the 6 neons in there, you could just add a few more to their school. But that would be it for your tank. You can safely add 4 more neons for a total of 10 neons in your tank!

Another option you might consider is keeping your school the same size, and then adding a pair of Licorice Gouramis.

6. KaitlynR

A 10 gallon is too small to have more than 1 school unfortunately. they need to be able to have enough room to mark their own seperate territories. I wouldn't recommend two schools in anything less than a 20 gallon tank.

Corys are also not a good idea for a 10 gallon because of how much space they really require.

I do recommend upping the neon count though!

7. KaitlynR

Woops!

After doing further research, Although neons are super tiny, they are too active for a 10 gallon. However, getting a 20 gallon takes up a similar space. Would you be willing to get a 20 gallon? Otherwise I'd suggest rehoming the neons.

8. Duardo

Duardo Member Member

schooling fish like a long tank, but a 10 gal is fine for them. You can keep a school of 10 or so tetras, they dont really mark their territories unlelss theyre semi aggresive. 10 gal isnt ideal but its sufficient so dont be discouraged as long as you can filter the tank