10 gallon stocking help

1. Boopy Mitch Member Member

Hi.
    i have a standard 10 gallon aquarium and wondering how many fish to get. I am thinking of:
    - 1 male betta (I already have in a 8 litre tank)
    - 6-10 harlequin raboras
    - 6 Pygmy cories OR 6 Khuli loaches.
    just want to make sure it is not over stocked. As I have already googled and all are comparable.
    Thanks for any answers.

2. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

I think 1 Betta and the rasbora is already pushing it. Cories and khulis don't fit in a 10 gallon.

EDIT: I don't know a whole load about the rasbora but I think you could pull off a Betta with 6 harleys. I don't know if it's recommended or not. Somebody should chime in about that.
    But the cories and khulis are a sure no-go. Khulis can grow to 4-5 inches, so with 6 that's 24-30 inches of fish! Physically a bad match already. The cories are physically a good match, but they're so adventurous that they won't be very comfortable in a 10 gallon.

3. FallenOwl Well Known Member Member

IME, you could possibly do
    1 Male betta
    5 Harlequins,
    or if your not completely in love with them, I have mine with White Cloud Minnows.
    If you go with the white clouds, you could possibly have 6-7.

4. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Yes I've heard White Cloud Minnows are another good option to go with betta. Another I've heard suggested is Ember Tetra. I have no experience with any of these as my Betta is in a Betta/inverts setup in my 10 gallon. He's the only fish in the tank, with some shrimp and snails.

5. FallenOwl Well Known Member Member

Ember Tetras may work as well. And you could get 6-7 of them as well. Just remember, fish enjoy their space just as much as we do ;)

6. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

7. JFreshwater Member Member

Yea a 10g seems a little small for schooling fish and a beta together. I'd do one or the other personally.

8. clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

9. Pringlethesnail Well Known Member Member

I would do the Betta with one school of 6 fish of any of those three as well as the others suggested. So read up on the nitrogen cycle, cycle your tank for 3-4 weeks, add a passive Betta and your school. My Betta is with a school of 6 neon tetras right now in my ten gallon with an aquaclear 30 filter and all is well.

10. JFreshwater Member Member

Most people will say 10 gallons is not enough swim space for neons.

11. PlatyGurl2015 Initiate Member

I think a betta would be very happy if you kept him alone in a 10g. It also kind of depends on the personality of the betta. Some bettas can't be kept with any other fish.

12. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

The majority of bettas do not like other fish in their tanks, and will eventually kill or really damage the other fish in the tank and are best kept by themselves. You could try a nerite snail and a couple of ghost shrimp. Alison:;hi2

13. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I would keep the betta with shrimp and snails. No other fish will work, the other fish you listed in the OP are too big/active for a 10g anyways.