10 gallon stocking help!

1. 1thing Member Member

Hi!

So this is my first post, YAY!

I have a 10 gallon tropical tank with a Fluval 2 plus filter.

It has been set up for 3-4 months and I do a 25% water change every week, and a quick wipe down of the glass and also vacuum the sand.

I have 2 large plants (not sure what they are) and a large wooden log which looks cool!

at the moment I have:

2 male dwarf Gouramis

1 Zebra Danio

5 Neon Tetras (I got one that died within 24 hours of getting them! they're fine though!)

1 Peppered Cory

1 Bamboo Shrimp

5 baby platys (will be keeping them untill adults! from my brothers tank!)

My question is is my tank overstocked??????

And also I was hoping to get a Kuhli loach!!!

could this happen or am I going to have to find another home for the baby platys???

thing

2. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

I think the tank is borderline overstocked, but there are some other issues. Two male gouramis are likely to fight sooner or later if they haven't already. Also, the danio and cory are both shoaling fish. They need to be kept in a group.
    As far as the loach, that won't work. They also need to be in groups, and they need bigger tanks.

And welcome to FL.

3. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

:sign0016: To Fishlore

Sorry to say yes your tank is rather overstocked.
    Zebra danios are very active swimmers needing more space & should be kept in groups, the cory also should be kept in groups of 6+ & peppered get quite big & chunky so at least 20 gallons for them.
    Male gourami will fight over territory, even in large tanks it's not advised to keep two males together.
    Tbh just the platys in there as they grow will cause you to be overstocked.
    If you can I'd look into either getting a bigger tank or rehoming some of your fish, until you can do that you have a water test kit? as overstocking can lead to water quality issues as your filter may not be able to cope with the bioload

4. Crissandra331 Member Member

Hello :)

Welcome to Fishlore!

I would say your over-stocked and I wouldn't add a Kuhli loach

Sounds like you have the right mindset for caring for your tank but I would consider a few things...

1. Zebra danios are a VERY active schooling fish best kept in 6 or more. They require very well oxygenated tanks because they use up quite a bit of it darting around.
    2. Neon Tetras are quite a bit calmer than Danio's they stay in the mid-strata of the tank, and also do best kept in groups of 6 or more.
    3. Peppered Corydora, I don't know as much as I would like to about this specific variation of corydora but most are best kept in groups of at least 6 or more. For they are very social fish. They usually require a sand substrate or very fine smooth gravel to aid against damage to their sensitive barbels
    http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+2855+935&pcatid=935
    4. Platy's prefer Alkaline water while the previous stated fish prefer Acidic. Though all fish are adaptable given the parameters are consistent :)

Another good website is www.aqadvisor.com They stock somewhat conservatively but it's a good example to build by.

5. 1thing Member Member

Interesting the Gouramis seem really docile and have never attacked each other!!

Also the Danio seems perfectly happy just swimming around!

I'm thinking of purchasing a 20g soon and will transfer them all in when I get this what do you suggest I add?

thing

6. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

The gourami may be juveniles, as they mature they will fight.
    If you get the 20 gallon & transfer most of the fish except 1 gourami & the platys, then you'll be fine stocking wise apart from the fact danios need more space & numbers.
    You could have a group of corys but I wouldn't advise peppered as of all the corys they need the lowest temperature & won't do well at the higher temp of the gourami, bronze or albino would be better

7. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

I had two DG's in my old 36 gallon tank. I thought the tank was large enough to give them each enough space to form their own territory. They seemed to get along just fine and many times would be swimming around together. Then one day out of the blue... ell suffice it to say I was suddenly down to one DG.