10 gallon stocking confirmation

Birbfish

Heya, I finally ordered a new lid and light for my 10 gallon, and I'm going to go pick up the plants for it in about a week so I thought I'd confirm with you all what I've decided to put in the tank to make sure I'm not doing anything stupid!

Betta: I was planning on getting a male, but I might fall in love with one of the females who really knows haha. I'd put this guy last as to not let them set any territory before I add their tankmates.

Pygmy cory's: I just love these little guys to bits, I don't know how many would fit in a 10 gallon with the other tankmates but that is something I thought id ask here so answer away! I read they like having sand as substrate but I also read elsewhere that sand can be dangerous if air bubbles with feces or food get caught and pop into the water, (if that even makes sense) so should I risk it with the sand or stick to gravel/another substrate?

Snails: I love snails, I think that's all I can say. apart from the species I guess, I was hoping to have a non-aggressive helpful snail?

okay I hope I don't sound like an idiot, thank you and have a nice day!

jkkgron2

Sounds good to me. I would get 6 Pygmy corys, they like to be in groups and they’re small enough that 6 won’t make them feel cramped.

As long as you use a gravel vacuum on the sand to remove food and feces once a week during water changes you shouldn’t have issues with any bubbles appearing.

Nerite snails work great with bettas, eat algae, and don’t have large bioloads so you may want to look into them.

Upvote 0

alven

Sounds good to me. I would get 6 Pygmy corys, they like to be in groups and they’re small enough that 6 won’t make them feel cramped.

As long as you use a gravel vacuum on the sand to remove food and feces once a week during water changes you shouldn’t have issues with any bubbles appearing.

Nerite snails work great with bettas, eat algae, and don’t have large bioloads so you may want to look into them.
This might seem like a dumb question but what other side fish do you think can go with a Betta in a 10 gal.?

Upvote 0

jkkgron2

This might seem like a dumb question but what other side fish do you think can go with a Betta in a 10 gal.?
Ember tetras will get along with more laid back less aggressive bettas, female guppies or very dull colored male guppies with short tails can work. It depends on the temperament of the betta.

Upvote 0

Birbfish

Great thank you so much! Do you have any recommendations for specific sand or should any be fine?

Also I was wondering what kind of plants would work well with the conditions, the light I ordered seemed fairly bright so I would like some kind of top dwelling shaders to keep the betta from going blind

Upvote 0

jkkgron2

Great thank you so much! Do you have any recommendations for specific sand or should any be fine?

Also I was wondering what kind of plants would work well with the conditions, the light I ordered seemed fairly bright so I would like some kind of top dwelling shaders to keep the betta from going blind
I would use black diamond blasting sand, or Caribsea super naturals. I think the super naturals would work better with corys. Both substrates grow plants well. The super naturals and black diamond sand are very cheap compared to some sand so that’s another reason why I like them so much.

Here’s a link to the super naturals.

For floating plants dwarf water lettuce works great for providing shade, and it grows fast too.

Upvote 0

Birbfish

Thank you so much for your help!! I like the Caribsea ones so I'm gonna grab those, thank you for the link and the tips!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
NoahLikesFish
  • Question
Replies
Views
animalgirl257
  • Question
Replies
Views