10 Gallon Stocking Advice

willclark797

Reaction score
So I just got a brand new 10 gallon tank from a friend. I had some questions about it though. First which fish could I comfortably stock in it. I was thinking a honey gourami, 2 guppies, and 4 otos. Is this too much for a 10 gallon? Also which plants, filter, and substrate would you recommend for this type of tank?

fjh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
willclark797 said:
So I just got a brand new 10 gallon tank from a friend. I had some questions about it though. First which fish could I comfortably stock in it. I was thinking a honey gourami, 2 guppies, and 4 otos. Is this too much for a 10 gallon? Also which plants, filter, and substrate would you recommend for this type of tank?
I would not recommend that stock for a 10g tank simply becaise the gourami needs more space. You can check out the link for acceptable fish in a 10g
Stocking List for 10 Gallons

If youre looking for life plants, java fern, anarchis, java moss, and hornwort are all good beginner plants.
Filter... you can go but a tetra 10-15g filter for $10 at walmart. Any filter with sufficient space for media and gph works. Rest just comes down to price and preference. You also need a heater if tou dont already have one.
Substrate... again for preferance. Bare bottom is obviously easiest to clean, but not appealing looking (LOL). Gravel traps a lot of debris but is also easier to clean than sand imo. The fish you are looking at should do fine with either substrate, so its just personal preference.

PS welcome to FL!

Fishie_Mom

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
First thing you need to do is research the nitrogen cycle. I would cycle your tank before you decide on your stocking.

I do NOT recommend otos in a new tank. They most often starve to death in new set ups. They primarily feed on biofilm and algae. It is difficult to get them to switch to flake or even fresh veggies. They are one of the most difficult ones to keep alive because of it.

You could do 6 corydoras Habrosus, and 6-8 celestial pearl danios plus a few snails. I would do sand substrate and driftwood with java fern attached.

willclark797

Reaction score
fjh said:
I would not recommend that stock for a 10g tank simply becaise the gourami needs more space. You can check out the link for acceptable fish in a 10g
Stocking List for 10 Gallons

If youre looking for life plants, java fern, anarchis, java moss, and hornwort are all good beginner plants.
Filter... you can go but a tetra 10-15g filter for $10 at walmart. Any filter with sufficient space for media and gph works. Rest just comes down to price and preference. You also need a heater if tou dont already have one.
Substrate... again for preferance. Bare bottom is obviously easiest to clean, but not appealing looking (LOL). Gravel traps a lot of debris but is also easier to clean than sand imo. The fish you are looking at should do fine with either substrate, so its just personal preference.

PS welcome to FL!
What could be a spotlight fish that I could replace the gourami with? Also do you have any idea if kuhli loaches do well in a 10 gallon?

willclark797

Reaction score
lilabug4545 said:
You could maybe change to a betta, but not with guppies. Again, please look at the 10G stocking thread.
I looked but I'm not sure what any of them are. That's why I started this thread to get some advice.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom