10 gallon starter ideas

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Plecomaker, Jul 23, 2015.

1. Plecomaker

Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

Ok, so im looking for some ideas, maybe a list of critters and or fish hat would do well in a 10 gallon tank. Ive had big fish on the brain, so i need some ideas a variety.
    Keep in mind these dont have to go together, im just trying to make a list to choose from.

ideally this will be her first freshwater tank, but she will have my supervision and she has helped somewhat with other tanks, so not a total novice.

Ok ideas?

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Have you checked out the 10 gallon stocking ideas sticky by Anders?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. OP
    OP
    Plecomaker

Yeah, i have. I dont agree with some of those, but also dont have 70-80% of thoseavailable.
    im also wanting people to consider suggestions of non fish, so other water craetures that are not on that list are welcome :)

ps justread this what a joke

kribs in 5 gallons, they must be nuts

4. Dom90

2 or 3 African Dwarf Frogs?

5. OP
    OP
    Plecomaker

Niceidea, but she'd have alot of work ahead of her as her mother is deathly afraid of frogs!
    and yes its ridiculous...

6. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

You could do shrimp and snails?

7. DanB80TTS

DanB80TTS Well Known Member Member

Shrimp! They are so mesmerising to watch.

8. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

I would do a betta with shrimp and snails, bettas are simply so full of personality! They act like puppies!

9. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

I go with shrimp. A good cherry shrimp colony :)

10. DrSahl

DrSahl Valued Member Member

I would go with a Betta or a Shrimp or a combo as some suggest.

11. ClearEyes

ClearEyes Well Known Member Member

I love the look of blue shrimp! I've never seen one in person, as my LFS doesn't carry them, but pictures I've seen look really cool :) If it were me, I'd get some blue shrimp (if available) and contrast it with a bright red betta :D

12. M

Marinedude17422 New Member Member

You could do shrimps, fish, or even go for an electric blue crayfish, this are really cool

13. DrSahl

DrSahl Valued Member Member

He might even be able to have two depending on what kind of Crayfish he wants.. he would also save some money on not having to warm up the water. If I recall most of the Crayfish do well even in water below 20 degree and I am certain most people have it warmer

But it might need more water changing than the other options posted here.

14. DanB80TTS

The blue crayfish would need a bigger tank, 20L minimum. A pair of CPO should be ok in that size, either way it would need to be fortified so they don't escape.

15. kidster9700

kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

Do you mean 20G? A 20L isn't larger than a 10G

16. Dom90

He means 20 Long... its 30x12 footprint, a 10 is only 20x10.

17. DanB80TTS

Sorry I didn't mean to confuse, yes as Dom90 said , I meant a 20gallon long tank :)

18. kidster9700

kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

Oh yeah, for some reason my mind went to liters.... Hahahaha! Whoops. Yeah. 20 long is definitely bigger than a ten

19. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

I have three 10 gal tanks with a mix in each. Each tank now has a mystery snail, a nerite or 2, some ghost shrimp, One tank has 6 neons and 3 embers , need to find three more, tank 2 has 5 harlequin rasboras and tank 3 has 7 glowlight tetras, 3 regular and 4 albinos for a school of 7. Alison

20. tartersauce

tartersauce Valued Member Member

Also, if you were to do 2 crayfish, make sure there are ample hiding places they can stake out as territory. Otherwise they may fight for turf.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice