10 gallon start up.

1. STLBluesFan Member Member

this is day 2, its a 10 gallon kit from walmart, (which by the way, seems to have improved, with better hood, and filter. ) the background is spray painted Caribbean Sand. natural colored rock, and some real plant bulbs, i havent got co2 yet, but that is in the plans. and of course, who doesnt like the look of terra cota pots in thier tank? lol

Attached Files:

2. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Looks good! With Aponogenton and Lilies (the bulbs from WalMart) I wouldn't worry about CO2, really. They'll grow anyway, and grow well :)

A suggestion: You might like the look of breaking one (or both :)) of the pots in half, and adding driftwood and more plants :)

3. STLBluesFan Member Member

yes, those plants are it, and i have thought about breaking them and adding drift wood.. however, ive never had luck breaking the pots, it always just shatters, any suggestions in how to do it properly?

4. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I use a flat head screwdriver (or a serrated butter knife), score both sides, and the bottom of the pot, then tap it on the tile floor (or any other hard surface). Sometimes I just score one side of the pot and let it brake how ever it wants :)

5. STLBluesFan Member Member

well i might try that, and i will add more plants, probably fake ones, i really like the look of the aloe vera plant that walmart has.. and that would be a big leaf for a betta to rest on

6. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Aloe is actually a deserty-ish plant, and doesn't like to have too much water, so putting it an aquarium would make it very upset ;)

7. STLBluesFan Member Member

ahh!!! it will be ok... no one told it, but its just plastic... it will survive just as well as the sandy in bikini bottom lol

8. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

If its plastic, it'll be fine, but terrestrial plants should be kept out of the aquarium :) If you want more live plants, check out PetSmart and PetCo. They have good selections on plants. Just be sure that if you buy the plants in those plastic tubes, you research them first and make sure they are actually aquatic.

Other wise, I like to buy fake plants at the Dollar Tree and make my own plants! Its fun and cheap! You just need a good pair of scissors to get through the wire, a tube of silicon, and some glass marbles or rocks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can see the flowers in the middle, and the pots that I broke on either side :)

[​IMG]

9. STLBluesFan Member Member

yes, those are beautiful pics... and yeah, the aloe plant is fake and sold with the fish stuff in my walmart. its about 6inches tall, and has about 15 leafs, and they are about inch n half wide, so i figured thatd be a good place for a resting betta. i like them so much, they have been in just about every tank ive decorated lol. and with petco and petsmart, sadly im more than an hour away from one, and have to depend on online sales, walmarts, and a few really sad excuses for small pet stores lol

10. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Man that sucks! I don't know what I'd do with out a local PetSmart and PetCo XD As long as its sold in the fish (and even reptile) section, it should be fine :)

11. STLBluesFan Member Member

and i see you have nls food, i have nls goldfish, and some nls thera A, and plan on feeding that to the betta when i get it

12. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I feed my Bettas (and all my fish) on NLS betta pellets. They like it :) Thera A will be fine for a staple diet for a betta :)

I need to find me some NLS Goldfish food! :O My Goldfish actually gets Aqueon Goldfish Pellets, because that what I could find at the time...

13. STLBluesFan Member Member

yeah, i have to order mine lol

14. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I'll have to look at PetCo. Thats where I get mine lol I tried Omega One, and they didn't like it, spoiled brats XD

15. STLBluesFan Member Member

yeah, they get that way lol

16. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

Yey! Another STL member! How far are you from south county or Arnold? Both have Petsmarts now.

17. STLBluesFan Member Member

about an hour, i put st louis cuz it was the closes city

18. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

I know lots of people who do that( although not on here, haven't seen a whole lot of members even from missouri) because no one has ever heard of Desoto or Lonedel, mo.
    If you ever do make the trip twards the city there is a store on Waston rd. in the county that sells NLS foods, its called Tropical World Pets.

19. STLBluesFan Member Member

yeah, ive made several trips to the petco and petsmarts in arnold

20. STLBluesFan Member Member

so, its the end of day 2.. and i followed your advice Akari.. and went to the dollar tree.. found some fake plants and some aquarium safe silicone and have made some of my own plants

Attached Files: