10 Gallon split Betta build

Mhamilton0911
So I have 2 bettas in separate tanks, one 5 gallon on my kitchen counter, and one 2.5 gallon on my desk. I'm really needing my counter space for a stand mixer, STAND MIXER MAKES THE YUMMY THINGS, so it's very important, lol.

I have a 10 gallon currently used for a few guppy fry. How many? I dunno, 30? There is room for them elsewhere so they will be evicted.

Using current sand substrate, current heater and light, getting new sponge filters. I have them ordered and should be here friday. I've decided to use 2 sponge filters, one for each side, to make sure there is adequate filtration. The current filter is a cheap tetra hob and it's not the best, plus the flow is a bit much.

I am doing a DIY divider. If the divider fails, I'll just order one and keep one fish separate until then. I have plenty o' plants so no problem there. I also have 2 mopani driftwood pieces that really weren't fitting with my larger tank, but would look nice one on each side here.

Very excited to get this going, I kinda hate the 5 gallon, the light is just terrible and it's so... ehhh.

The 10 gallon:

20201103_123328.jpg

Betta in the 5, my male

20201103_123808.jpg

betta in the 2.5. A female. NO breeding, my daughter just loves that she's the exact opposite from my male.

20201103_125606.jpg

Advertisement
NotSoAggressiveAquatics
I don’t know if this is true or not but can’t they “Smell” each other through the water

Advertisement
Mhamilton0911
Well... hope not. I have previously inquired around, and read around, and some people say yes, some say no... I guess I'll find out.

I figured, worst case, the Male will stay in the 10 and the female will get the 5. I have the tanks so that's not the issue. I was just hoping for some consolation.

Mhamilton0911
Has anyone done their own divider?? I can't find the binder edges anywhere, and i'm trying to figure out the best way to provide structure without them.

I have the craft sheets, i bought a 3 pack, and I'm wondering, If I could possibly rig up something to give a 1/2" gap or so between two sheets and stuff it with moss. That way moss could eventually grow out of the sheets, giving a moss wall between the two bettas?

Mhamilton0911
Okie, got the jungle cleared, and now working on the airline for the new filters. Also squeezing in a water change while I'm at it.
I'll be running the current filter plus the two sponge filters for a while. I have to order the binder spines for the diy divider, couldn't find any local. So that should give time for the new sponge filters to establish. The guppies will stay to feed my cycle until I'm ready to add the bettas.

Attachments

• 20201105_100852.jpg
    20201105_100852.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 20201105_100934.jpg
    20201105_100934.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 30
Mhamilton0911
Update:
So i allowed my little lady into her half for a few days to make sure she saw no holes in the system. All checks out and I introduced the male into his half yesterday. They spent the day with the lights off, and this morning, happy to report, they seem active and exploring, and have for sure seen each other, but paid no attention, and went along their fishy business. Neither really hangs out near the divider, or seems too particularly interested in it at all.

I will be constantly monitoring the situation and am prepared to remove one if they seem stressed by their neighbor. I am keeping the decor and plants minimal to make sure i don't need to redesign or remove the divider completely. But I will be planting the anacharis today and likely adding lots of vals from my main tank as well. Planting the vals along the divider to blend it in. Also have the 'his' side with java fern growing in the wood, and 'her' side has some java fern floating that i will attach or shove somewhere soon.
20201113_084140[1].jpg

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
CaptainAquatics
Replies
Views
Rose of Sharon
Replies
Views
BottomDweller
Replies