10 gallon specialty community stocking

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by junebug, Aug 5, 2015.

1. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

I don't usually post questions in this section anymore, but I figured since I'm looking for unbiased and arbitrary opinions, along with any tidbits anyone happens to know about the fish, I migth as well.

I'm going to soon be revamping one of my ten gallons, as a new home for one of my other fish (we'll get to that later). I wanted to turn it into a semi-community tank, but it's gonna have some less-common fish in it. I basically just wanted opinions on which of the two species I'm considering, folks would choose. Both are 100% acceptable tankmates for the fish I already have, both have comparable bioload and group requirements.... the catch is that one of them is going to be really, really hard to find.

I'm considering the following:
    Daisy's Ricefish - (this is the one that will be insanely hard to find. I may have to import wild specimens from asia, and that's IF I can even find them. good news is, I know who to ask LOL)

Dwarf Pencilfish - (currently available at The Wet Spot)

The tank will be well planted, as always, with plenty of wood and rockwork for hides. I'm planning several small tunnels made of PVC an anchored with rocks. I can modify pH to meet the requirements of the fish, so that's not an issue, even though they're both sensitive to pH levels.

The following is important only for aesthetic reasons - the "centerpiece" fish in the tank will be a female betta. I'm not interested in hearing about bettas in communities. I am usually the one giving those speeches :p lol. But, this particular female is community friendly. She's also sterile, so she can't be used in my breeding program. She's a very red koi coloration with black, white, and some irid specs. I definitely want fish that will compliment her, both in demeanor and in coloration. For reference, I've included a video of Polly and Neo, her ex-husban, for those who haven't intermet her yet ;)

The most important factor in choosing a species is going to be whether they will nip her fins. She's community friendly, but let's not kid ourselves, she's still a betta.

Pencilfish are common dither fish for shy SA cichlids, so naturally I assume they're not going to be bitey with her. Ricefish are common among the same habitats as wild bettas and I've never come across anything stating they tend to be rivals, so my mind immediately goes to them when considering tankmates for bettas. As far as I know, Ricefish are completely peaceful, so likely will not be attacking my Polly.

Anyway, given that both species are so... alike.... just based on looks, what would you choose?

[video=youtube;gtJHPPB-IKo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtJHPPB-IKo[/video]
    (hopefully you can all tell the difference between the male and female... lol). Polly has colored up considerably since this was taken. She has acquired black lipstick, black specs, 2x the red over her back, and a few speckles of iridescence here and there.

Edit: Just found Mekong Ricefish for sale at The Wet Spot.
    My main concern with this species is that Polly might look at them as a yummy snack. She's quite small for a betta, and she's full grown. But those are REALLY small ricefish and not very deep bodied at all. Opinions?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  2. Tonia

Tonia Well Known Member Member

I have Rocket pencilfish with my dwarf puffers, with a backup tank option (of course) and amazingly both the puffers and the pencilfish have been more visible and active in the tank since I put them together. I find the pencils tend to inhabit the upper and middle sections of my 15g tank.

I'm sorry to hear that the lovely miss Polly is sterile :'( I absolutely love her colors and hoped to see many gorgeous babies with her and Neo. I would think the pencils would be a great addition. Mine show NO aggression whatsoever and they aren't super flighty or active so they will be a nice calm addition for her. My pencils love the mosquito larvae, daphnia and other assorted live wiggly things that I feed the puffers. They are in a tank with a larger jungle val which they all adore and bacopa, drift wood with java moss and java fern growing on it.

I don't have any insight on the rice fish, though. Sorry.

3. E

Et tu Valued Member Member

I lived in Portland OR for a few years, and truly miss the Wet Spot (no pun intended).

4. Flowingfins

Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

Sorry Polly's sterile:( She's a beautiful fish though.
    I have no experience with any of the species but I think the pencil fish would compliment her nicely.

5. OP
    OP
    junebug

I have a friend in Indonesia, who generally works with bettas and guppies, as an exporter, looking into the ricefish to find out if O. woworae is even available. Honestly if they are, I may have to go for it, if only because they're even less common than pencilfish, and their breeding habits are... interesting.

Sarcasm Included, I know you keep some blue eyes and such. Would you happen to know anything about Oryzias spp?

It is unfortunate that Polly is sterile... It's pretty common in koi colored bettas though. Happens whenever a new color variant comes up, because of the linebreeding required to achieve the strict color adherence.

6. Sarcasm Included

Sarcasm Included Well Known Member Member

Daisy's Ricefish are easy to get and even easier to breed, surprising that such a beautiful fish isn't around more. Wetspot has them listed as   on aquabid, Bobstorpicalplants.com carries them from time to time, but I haven't had the best experience with them. They also pop up in the killifish egg section on aquabid pretty regularly, but most are shipped from Asia.

7. OP
    OP
    junebug

Cardinal lampeyes? LOL they're not even listed on the wet spot species list.

I'll have to have another look. They are really, really cool looking fish, the females in particular, with the way they carry their eggs. Thanks!

Edit: Ah, as it turns out, bluegrass aquatics has them in stock :)

8. Sarcasm Included

Bluegrassaquatics is a good supplier, but if wetspot is easier for you, it is listed on his page.

9. OP
    OP
    junebug

I did eventually find them, thanks :) All that looking for "ricefish" on their page, I should have been looking with the killifish. LOL.

If I get O. woworae, I'll get them from TWS just because I know and trust their stock.
    Sarcasm Included can you imagine any scenario in which the ricefish would be tempted to nibble a shortfin betta's fins? If I get them, I'll definitely be breeding them. I'll just have to breeder box polly or move her when I want to raise up a batch of fry.

10. Sarcasm Included

I don't think that you will have any problems with nipping, but they eat like rainbows. Which could make difficult feeding the slower betta.

11. OP
    OP
    junebug

Polly has no trouble getting her food, and very quickly. LOL. She's a tiny little piggy!

At the very worst, since I feed flakes that sit on the surface for a bit, I can always feed the quick fish on one end of the tank and the betta on the other.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice