10 Gallon shrimp tank

1. Arkwolf1995

Arkwolf1995 Valued Member Member

Starting up a 10G shrimp tank.
    I'm still starting up a new 10 g tank
    My substrate is river sand (natural from my area) and 3 5LB bags of sand mixed together (still ordering 2 of the bags) for now here is my test setup of some isinglass
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'll update as I get more supplies for the tank

2. Graphix

Graphix Well Known Member Member

that's really cool looking! I fear though the structure you have may not be completely stable? Unless you secured it together somehow. Either way, it looks awesome.

Put down a plate upside down on the sand and pour the water on top of that to preserve your hardscape as you fill the tank. You might have to redo that sand pattern after you fill it up.

3. OP
    OP
    Arkwolf1995

Thanks ^.^ and this was just a test, I still have more sand on the way (black and a semi dark blue) and yeah I'll be siliconing(?) the structure.

I am also trying a honeycomb like design on the other wall with some drift wood in the middle

4. KAnders

KAnders Valued Member Member

Looks cool! Can't wait to see more. What kind of shrimp are you planning?

5. OP
    OP
    Arkwolf1995

6. OP
    OP
    Arkwolf1995

So change of plans, I'll be getting blue velvet shrimp instead of rcs, only for the color.
    The Mica crystal caves are being removed because of a test I did, they flake apart in water :/

7. OP
    OP
    Arkwolf1995

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So I couldn't get any blue sand (mislabeling or something)

8. F

Frogtank1 Valued Member Member

hey man, glad to see you're off to the races!

have a look at this site. I haven't ordered anything from them yet, but I have yet to find a better site with everything you need for shrimp tanks

Their products that add bacteria the shrimp like may be interesting. Im going to run these products myself when I do a shrimp tank soon, but I will do it planted so it will look a bit different.

Read through this page if you have a moment

https://www.discobee.com/blogs/news/18442297-cycling-a-dwarf-shrimp-tank-the-easy-sl-aqua-way

9. A

Alphonsus Well Known Member Member

Your going to need lots of plants to help the shrimp reproduce and the young lings to survive. Java moss is one good solution if you are just breeding and not as a scape.

10. OP
    OP
    Arkwolf1995

Yeah, I'm going slow with this build so I can afford everything. I'm going to have a honeycomb like design with moss growing on it for the "left" side of the tank, a price of drift wood in the middle, and a cave on the "right".
    And loads of plants everywhere in between, I have some nana Anubis in my 20g I'm going to transplant a little and I'm looking for some guppy grass, I also have about 3 1/2 inch moss balls that are going in

11. OP
    OP
    Arkwolf1995

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. OP
    OP
    Arkwolf1995

[​IMG]

Shrimp tank is now running :) just waiting for more plants

13. A

Nice!

14. OP
    OP
    Arkwolf1995

Got my caves in[​IMG]

15. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

I will be watching this thread. I have a 10gal RCS tank! [​IMG] it has around 20 shrimplets.

16. OP
    OP
    Arkwolf1995

I got a question for people, would my tank be ok without the hob filter? Im thinking of adding another sponge filter if i need to

17. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Sure would! Sponge filters are great:)

I have to ask, what is that honeycomb wall made of?

18. A

19. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

No need to replace the sponge filter you already have, especially since you don't want to lose your cycle!

But yeah, I use sponge filters like those.

20. A

True you could just leave your old one and then after a month or so take it out if it you want. I really love the dual sponge as your getting more bacteria per filter for the same cost as those cylinder ones with the weights.