10 Gallon Set-up... Platys, Guppies, Or Dwarf Gouramis ?

What should I do for my 10 gallon

• guppies

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • platys

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • dwarf gouramis

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Addie42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I am cycling a 10g right now. What would you recommend I do? I'm looking into platys, guppies and gouramis

Gouramis look really awesome (the dwarf one I have a small tank) and if I get that what would you recommend as a schooling fish with it? Not neon tetras though. Also whats a good food to buy for the Gouramis??

For guppies and platys I think I would do species only with maybe a bottom dweller. Should I get male and female or it is better to stick with just males?
What do you find to be more rewarding?

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
With livebeerers especially in that size tank its best to stick with just males. Having both they over populate a tank rather quickly. That and at least with guppies they are usually brighter colored.

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well, if you did a dg it would need to be the only thing in the tank(and only one dg). They are territorial and a 10g is just barely big enough for one.

You like gourami's though? Have you looked into sparkling gouramis? You could have a nano schooler with them.

The guppies or platies I'd suggest all males, otherwise you will have truckloads of fry shortly. You could do 3 platies or 5 guppies in a 10g. I believe all males will be more rewarding considering you will not have to go crazy dealing with hundreds of fry and the increased bioload.

There aren't really any bottom dwellers for a 10g aside from shrimp/snails, which you could have with the livebearers.

I've attached a 10g stock list you can look at/get ideas from if you'd like-
Stocking List for 10 Gallons

OP
Addie42

Addie42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
With livebeerers especially in that size tank its best to stick with just males. Having both they over populate a tank rather quickly. That and at least with guppies they are usually brighter colored.
how many would you recommend keeping ?

Margaux

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have guppies (4 males) in my classroom 10g. I love them. I am going to add a mini shrimp or too for bottom cleaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom