10 gallon set up & cycle

Skrabbitskrabbit

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
HI there! Quarantined and looking to finally set up a small community tank. I have a used 10 gallon and a new filter && lots of questions about a fish-less cycle. Hopefully I’ll be allowed out to buy some fish by the time it’s cycled.

I’m ordering decorations and gravel, thermometer etc. online but will eventually want (live) plants, is it okay to start cycling without the plants since I’m unable to pick them up from the store?

I don’t have ammonia, should I make another order for that or can I just “feed” the tank? Will it take longer?

I have the master API test kit, do I have to test every day? I don’t think I did with. the last tank I set up but it was a smaller tank.

I also have quick start and prime. How often should I add these?

Thanks for any help!!!

Danny002

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Skrabbitskrabbit said:
HI there! Quarantined and looking to finally set up a small community tank. I have a used 10 gallon and a new filter && lots of questions about a fish-less cycle. Hopefully I’ll be allowed out to buy some fish by the time it’s cycled.

I’m ordering decorations and gravel, thermometer etc. online but will eventually want (live) plants, is it okay to start cycling without the plants since I’m unable to pick them up from the store?

I don’t have ammonia, should I make another order for that or can I just “feed” the tank? Will it take longer?

I have the master API test kit, do I have to test every day? I don’t think I did with. the last tank I set up but it was a smaller tank.

I also have quick start and prime. How often should I add these?

Thanks for any help!!!
You will be just fine to go ahead with cycling without your plants. You can just add them when you get them.

I would order some pure ammonia (I'd go for the drops because powder is a real pain for smaller tanks, learned that the hard way). Feeding the tank will take a long time, will gunk up the tank and probably make it smell after a while.

For the first two weeks or so, just test once or twice a week, once you start seeing nitrites (I never really did with my tank, it may just go straight to nitrate) start testing every other day, until you can cycle 2ppm of ammonia to nitrate in 24 hours. Then you'll be cycled.

Prime you add after every water change, which you may need to do at some point during your cycle, even though some people will tell you not to. Doing a water change will not hurt anything, and you may need to get rid of excess nitrates that could crash your cycle if they get too high. Also be sure to do a big water change before adding fish to get nitrates below 20. I've never personally used quick start, so unfortunately I can't help you there.

OP
Skrabbitskrabbit

Skrabbitskrabbit

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Danny002 said:
You will be just fine to go ahead with cycling without your plants. You can just add them when you get them.

I would order some pure ammonia (I'd go for the drops because powder is a real pain for smaller tanks, learned that the hard way). Feeding the tank will take a long time, will gunk up the tank and probably make it smell after a while.

For the first two weeks or so, just test once or twice a week, once you start seeing nitrites (I never really did with my tank, it may just go straight to nitrate) start testing every other day, until you can cycle 2ppm of ammonia to nitrate in 24 hours. Then you'll be cycled.

Prime you add after every water change, which you may need to do at some point during your cycle, even though some people will tell you not to. Doing a water change will not hurt anything, and you may need to get rid of excess nitrates that could crash your cycle if they get too high. Also be sure to do a big water change before adding fish to get nitrates below 20. I've never personally used quick start, so unfortunately I can't help you there.
Thanks! Just added ammonia drops to my order. Now we wait!

Inner10

Well Known
Reaction score
If it's a fishless cycle and you aren't in a big hurry just toss in a piece of shrimp and let it decompose. Don't bother testing the water for several days...and even then you are just satisfying your own curiosity monitoring the cycle.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom