10 gallon redesign (blog?)

Dewclaw83
Update so newcomers can catch up quickly:
Tank specifics:
Aqueon 10 Gallon
Aqueon heater for 20 gallons, not adjustable (Temperature ~78 degrees)
This Aquaneat Light
Cheapie sponge filter for 10 gallons
Bubbler statue

Stock:
1 wild variety male Betta splendens (Have)
6 Celestial Pearl Danios (Need)
6 Salt and Pepper or Pygmy Corys (Need)
Potentially 1 EBR (Have - would up temperature to 79 with a different heater)

Plants:
8(ish) Amazon frogbit (Have)
3 Unknown plants (Have)
2 Anachris (Need)
2 Pogostemon stellatus
3 Limnophila sessiliflora

Hardscape and stuff:
Soil underlayer (Have)
Black sand layer (Have)
3 Smooth black rocks (Have)
2 Gold/Bronze statues (Have)
Potentially might leave my flat red rock in there

How it looks now:

1581911752335.png
Next thing to do: Wait for plants

Original Post:
Okay so, some of you might have seen this picture of Lemy:

1580837111346.png
He's a wild variety Betta splendens, so the same species you find in pet stores, but only a few generations away from the wild, unlike those.
He is quite tolerant of tankmates, and I'll have a 10 gallon opening up soon, but I haven't planned a thing to go in there yet! I could cobble something together with the fake decor I have on hand for now, but for a longer term aquascape, I have no clue what to do, hence why I'm here asking you!

We can go in any direction, but here's what will be left over from the tank's current setup after some of the stuff moves out:
- Dirt capped with "black" sand (It's more of a dark brown tbh), sloped kinda - This would be annoying to remove but I could do it
- Preset heater for 78 degrees
- Sponge filter for 10 gallons
- Red and Green "Freak Rock", small piece of granite, flat rock - these three form a cave of sorts
- 2 gold colored decor statues - 1 elephant, 1 Chinese(?) lion thing that's also a bubbler

I know he likes floating plants, I currently have the following available:
- Red Root Floaters
- Dwarf Water Lettuce
- A few Amazon Frogbits

As for stocking:
- The betta of course
- Was thinking maybe celestial pearl danios?
- Will have some young ramshorns I can put in I'm sure (Probably will be blue)

So what would you guys do? What should I add in? What should I take out? What color fish would compliment him? What color decor/plants would do the same? I'm not set on anything, except that Lemy's going to go in this tank

Sprinkle

1859004A-9835-461E-948E-CE977206D50D.jpeg

You can see the jungle? It is my favorite plant, it grows very well and it grows even better with ferts.

My shrimp love it. My shrimps give it a good pedicure!

Dewclaw83
You can see the jungle? It is my favorite plant, it grows very well and it grows even better with ferts.

My shrimp love it. My shrimps give it a good pedicure!
Jungle Val? All the plants in the pic look cool, what are they?

Sprinkle
Jungle Val? All the plants in the pic look cool, what are they?
I don't remember the names, so sorry

You can find some cool plants at

tropica

The same plants should be there

Dewclaw83
opalEssence
I think the tall wide "hornwort" plant in the back is Limnophilia. I have some in my tank.

Dewclaw83
I think the tall wide "hornwort" plant in the back is Limnophilia. I have some in my tank.
I do have some hornwort on hand!

opalEssence
I mean, the plant in the back is not hornwort.

It's Limnophilia

Sorry if I confused you. The two plants just seem kinda similar

Dewclaw83

It's Limnophilia

Ah sorry! I see now! I thought you were suggesting hornwort because I didn’t recognize Limnophilia as a plant - I broke down the word into “Limno” meaning “Lake” (or body of water), and “Philia” meaning “a love for”, so I thought you were saying hornwort would make it look like a lake, which you like

Limnophilia looks super cool though! I may have to put in some of that

ajoyfulbettta
love your betta op! how the heck did you find one like that! i’ve always wanted a wild but that’s a super cool mix!!

Dewclaw83
love your betta op! how the heck did you find one like that! i’ve always wanted a wild but that’s a super cool mix!!
All my wild bettas are from Franks Bettas! I really like that he does a lot of conservation for the natural habitats of these fish He’s got a website but you’re better off going to his Facebook - franksbettas (all one word). Pretty sure he also has red splendens, but I only asked about the yellows cause that’s what I wanted lol

Dewclaw83
So I was thinking more about basic colors:
-If I leave the dark sand, Lemy’s yellow will show up nicely against it
-If I go with bright green plants - like the Limnophilia - his darker sections will look nice against it, and it’ll keep the tank from feeling too dark
-Might move the few amazon frogbit plants over
-With dark sand and bright plants, the gold statues may still look good
-I think I’d take out the rocks as they're red
-Maybe a piece of spider wood?

So what other fish?
-The celestial pearl danios are cool, but would their yellow clash with his?
- if so, what color would look good? Royal/Dark blue might, but what’s that color and small enough?
-Any bottom dwellers? Panda or salt and pepper corys?

Sprinkle

It's Limnophilia

Ahh! Yeah! That's the one! Oof! Thanks!

Craig_84
Looks the limnophila sessiliflora I just ordered for my tank at the week end, looks great

Craig_84
So I was thinking more about basic colors:
-If I leave the dark sand, Lemy’s yellow will show up nicely against it
-If I go with bright green plants - like the Limnophilia - his darker sections will look nice against it, and it’ll keep the tank from feeling too dark
-Might move the few amazon frogbit plants over
-With dark sand and bright plants, the gold statues may still look good
-I think I’d take out the rocks as they're red
-Maybe a piece of spider wood?

So what other fish?
- if so, what color would look good? Royal/Dark blue might, but what’s that color and small enough?
Dark substrate & bright green from plants will look nice with your betta. Black background helped me have fish colours pop also.

Sprinkle
Looks the limnophila sessiliflora I just ordered for my tank at the week end, looks great
Yeah, it is great. My shrimp love giving it a pedicure

Dewclaw83
Dark substrate & bright green from plants will look nice with your betta. Black background helped me have fish colours pop also.
Alright then I think we can start working with that idea!

Limnophilia for sure
And I think I have a couple plants I don’t know the names of floating around in another tank - one kinda grassy and one low thing

Not sure that just those are enough to fill the tank nicely... anyone have more suggestions?

Sprinkle

Limnophilia for sure
And I think I have a couple plants I don’t know the names of floating around in another tank - one kinda grassy and one low thing
Buy few bunches of Limnophilia and put them in the back of the tank where your betta could go and hide and explore. You also should get a heater cover so it won't burn the plants.

Also, java fern will look good.

image.jpg

Ooh! I got a molly fry on the photo! The one next to the skull, a lil black dot

Also, this plant will look good in a bunch

image.jpg

Dewclaw83
Buy few bunches of Limnophilia and put them in the back of the tank where your betta could go and hide and explore. You also should get a heater cover so it won't burn the plants.

Also, java fern will look good.

View attachment 659886

Ooh! I got a molly fry on the photo! The one next to the skull, a lil black dot

Also, this plant will look good in a bunch

View attachment 659889
What’s that, anachris? It’d match the Limnophilia shape wise!

And what a cute little fry!

FinalFins
So what other fish?
I would do betta with either cpds OR salt and pepper cories.

Dewclaw83
I would do betta with either cpds OR salt and pepper cories.
Out of curiosity, why or?

Craig_84

Limnophilia for sure

Not sure that just those are enough to fill the tank nicely... anyone have more suggestions?
I am not great with plant names to help you out other than the ones I have, I quite like the pogostemon Stellatus I have at the back right. Dwarf sag is also a nice foreground/Midground plant middle right between rock

FE6738DF-63FC-4003-84A9-7CB2A8ABD909.jpeg

FinalFins
Out of curiosity, why or?
Not enough space to play with both species in a 10g. This is a 10 gallon right? I may of gotten lost.

Dewclaw83
Not enough space to play with both species in a 10 gallon. This is a 10 gallon right? I may of gotten lost.
Yes, it’s a 10, but are you sure? Because I was just told in another thread by several people that I could do a female betta (same size), 6 celestial pearl danios (or chilI Rasboras which I decided were better), and 6 Pygmy corys in a 5.5.
Salt and pepper corys are smaller than Pygmy corys, so I figured they’d be fine in a 10. Salt and pepper corys grow to 3/4 of an inch, celestial pearl danios grow to 1 inch - both “nano” fish

Dewclaw83
I am not great with plant names to help you out other than the ones I have, I quite like the pogostemon Stellatus I have at the back right. Dwarf sag is also a nice foreground/Midground plant middle right between rock

View attachment 659896
The Pogostemon stellatus is perfect! and I think one of the plants I don’t know the name of may be dwarf sag. Not 100% sure about that, and it’s at home so I can’t take a picture

also... that tank is gorgeous - can I have it?!

ajoyfulbettta
Yes, it’s a 10, but are you sure? Because I was just told in another thread by several people that I could do a female betta (same size), 6 celestial pearl danios (or chilI Rasboras which I decided were better), and 6 Pygmy corys in a 5.5.
Salt and pepper corys are smaller than Pygmy corys, so I figured they’d be fine in a 10. Salt and pepper corys grow to 3/4 of an inch, celestial pearl danios grow to 1 inch - both “nano” fish

in my experience this stocking would be okay. chilI rasporas do seem better tho, ime cpd are sensitive and i’m pretty sure they get bigger

Dewclaw83
in my experience this stocking would be okay. chilI rasporas do seem better tho, ime cpd are sensitive and i’m pretty sure they get bigger
Yeah, that’s why I thought the cpd would be better in a 10, and the chilis in the 5.5

FinalFins
I am very positive on my position. 3 species in a 10 gallon, 13 fish in a ten gallon. And salt and pepper cories grow to 1 1/4" and my biggest CPD was 1". Bettas can grow to 2-3"

Craig_84
The Pogostemon stellatus is perfect! and I think one of the plants I don’t know the name of may be dwarf sag. Not 100% sure about that, and it’s at home so I can’t take a picture

also... that tank is gorgeous - can I have it?!
The pogostemon or “pointy thing” as I call it I expected it to die as I don’t have c02 (just dose seachem excel) and also don’t have a fancy substrate just black/grey sand. I did upgrade the light and dose tropica ferts after a weekly water change and that’s it. Only thing that seems to be struggling is dwarf hairgrass at very front, plus me male cichlid has a digging fetish... thanks for compliment on tank it’s only been running for 1 month.

Craig_84
Would 5 or 6 lamb chop or glow light rasboras work in 10g? Or do they need more swimming space?

ajoyfulbettta
Yeah, that’s why I thought the cpd would be better in a 10, and the chilis in the 5.5

oh wait I definitely read that as those 3 species in a 10g, not a 5.5. I wouldn’t do that many in a 5.5, definitely not the pygmy cories. min 10 gallon imo, along with the cpd. 15 gallon would be better. I would only do the betta in the 5.5, maybe some shrimp or a small snail. sorry for the confusion!

Dewclaw83
I am very positive on my position. 3 species in a 10 gallon, 13 fish in a ten gallon. And salt and pepper cories grow to 1 1/4" and my biggest CPD was 1". Bettas can grow to 2-3"
I just poked around some more regarding the salt and pepper corys. It seems sources are very split on whether they reach .75”, 1”, or 1.4” though the majority seemed to say .75”
I was spot on about the cpd max size, and the betta won’t grow as large as the domesticate variety
Like I said, I wasn’t set on the stocking, they were just some suggestions.

Corys are located on the bottom
Cpd hang out mid to low
Betta hangs out high to mid
Call me crazy but that doesn’t sound overcrowded, and it’s not overstocked. (Based on both my knowledge, and aqadvisor - which is comes back as 85% stock)

Would 5 or 6 lamb chop or glow light rasboras work in 10 gallon? Or do they need more swimming space?
I poked around a bit, sounds like they’d be okay, but they grow larger than the cpds (1.2-1.4” max)

Dewclaw83
oh wait I definitely read that as those 3 species in a 10 gallon, not a 5.5. I wouldn’t do that many in a 5.5, definitely not the pygmy cories. min 10 gallon imo, along with the cpd. 15 gallon would be better. I would only do the betta in the 5.5, maybe some shrimp. sorry for the confusion!
Nope, you were right, we’re talking about a 10 in this thread, the 5.5 was another thread

ajoyfulbettta
Nope, you were right, we’re talking about a 10 in this thread, the 5.5 was another thread

oh okay! yes then that stocking seems okay in imo.
-1 betta
-6 chilI rasboras
-6 salt pepper cories

my only concern would be the betta being aggressive but you’re planning on planting a lot right? shouldn’t be an issue

Dewclaw83
oh okay! yes then that stocking seems okay in imo.
-1 betta
-6 chilI rasboras
-6 salt pepper cories

my only concern would be the betta being aggressive but you’re planning on planting a lot right? shouldn’t be an issue
Yeah he’s chill! He’s hanging with some neon tetras and snails rn in a different tank and doesn’t even glance at them. And yeah, I’m thinking a lot of fluffy kinda plants is kinda where we’re headed with this

Dewclaw83
Okay, so fish are relatively sorted. So to recap the plants:

Floating:
- a few Amazon frogbit (~8 plants - they're propagate)
Foreground:
-My unknown grass-looking plant (See below)
-my unknown low plant (2 plants, I think) (See below)
-Dwarf sag? (1-2 plants?) (If that's not what I already have... thinking it's not)

Mid/Back:
- Java ferns? Maybe?
-Anachris (2 plants?)
- Pogostemon stellatus (1-2 plants?)
- Limnophila sessiliflora (2-3 Plants?)

1580857810390.png
<- grass plant thing

1580857850073.png <- low thing

FinalFins
Call me crazy but that doesn’t sound overcrowded, and it’s not overstocked. (Based on both my knowledge, and aqadvisor - which is comes back as 85% stock)
I'm gonna call crazy (no offense) but personally I still think you should only do cpds or salt and pepper. I have cpds and they are very sensitive.

Dewclaw83
I'm gonna call crazy (no offense) but personally I still think you should only do cpds or salt and pepper. I have cpds and they are very sensitive.
I mean, I am considering what you're saying, I'm just not quite understanding why you're saying it- as I said, it wouldn't be overcrowded, it wouldn't be overstocked - but if you could provide more information as to why, I will happily listen .
And yes, I've read that they're sensitive, but this is an established tank, and I am quite proficient at keeping the parameters in check - the majority of my tanks are 10 gallons actually, for various bettas. I did read about these fish prior to contemplating them for this tank lol

FinalFins
I mean, I am considering what you're saying, I'm just not quite understanding why you're saying it- as I said, it wouldn't be overcrowded, it wouldn't be overstocked - but if you could provide more information as to why, I will happily listen .
And yes, I've read that they're sensitive, but this is an established tank, and I am quite proficient at keeping the parameters in check - the majority of my tanks are 10 gallons actually, for various bettas. I did read about these fish prior to contemplating them for this tank lol
The reason I think it should be only one of them is because it is gonna be pretty overcrowded. 12 fish at 1 inch long plus a betta is overcrowding, and all those fish are active fish and they would not like all that action going at once and would stress them out. Also betta's become pretty tense with lots of action around, learned that the hard way and they can snap sometimes.

Dewclaw83
The reason I think it should be only one of them is because it is gonna be pretty overcrowded. 12 fish at 1 inch long plus a betta is overcrowding, and all those fish are active fish and they would not like all that action going at once and would stress them out. Also betta's become pretty tense with lots of action around, learned that the hard way and they can snap sometimes.
This is a very similar stocking to my other 10s honestly (yes, with bettas). Personally I do not think it’s/they’re overcrowded at all. If it makes you feel any better, I could do the cpd first, and see how it goes, and if it goes well, then I’ll try the corys. If that doesn’t seem like it’ll work out, I have alternative tanks that would work for any of them

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Dewclaw83
Replies
Views
smileyshrimp
Replies
Views
emmysjj
Replies
Views