10 Gallon; Real Stumped

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by GBR.Moorrreeee, Apr 20, 2010.

1. GBR.MoorrreeeeValued MemberMember

New ten gallon tank. Got it for 4 dollars. Has a aquaclear 20, sand substrate. So here's the two ideas I have that I have come around to.
    3 Lamprologus meleagris
    OR 3 Honey blue-eye, 3 Paska's Blue-eye, 7 Dwarf pencilfish, 1 Hara Jerdoni

Any help on which one I should go with?? I'm kinda not sure??

2. MeenuFishlore VIPMember

You want to put 14 fish in a 10 gallon? That's more than the 11 you posted earlier. I don't know that anyone here's going to give you a thumbs-up on that...

3. e_watson09Well Known MemberMember

Well you're all over the spectrum here. I'll go ahead and give you a little more information on these fish that you have listed. Then at the end I'll give you my suggestions.

The Lamprologus meleagris need a bigger tank, generally they do well in a 20gallon for two alone.

The honey blue-eyes are very picky from what I've read, they like more acidic water (pH 4-5) they like soft water and something else was jumping out at me I just can't think of it off the top of my head.

The Paska's tend to like the water a bit colder than all the other fish you've mentioned so far but they will be fine in a 10 gallon tank. They like driftwood and a lot of hiding places.

The dwarf pencil fish will do well in a 10 gallon tank but from what I've heard they're a nervous fish and so they'll hide a lot and also not get enough food. They do best in a species tank apparently. But here's a site I found helpful on them

Then the hara also prefers low temps and they do well in slightly acidic water. They like lots of hiding places and you also have to feed them at night as they are noctunal.

You also mentioned way too many fish for such a small tank. If your really wanting any of these fish out of the list I'd go with the 7 dwarf pencil fish and then 1 hara catfish. Then maybe get a snail or something eventually to help with the algea.

4. e_watson09Well Known MemberMember

no I think option one is....
    3 Lamprologus meleagris

Then option two is....
    3 Honey blue-eye, 3 Paska's Blue-eye, 7 Dwarf pencilfish, 1 Hara Jerdoni

Which puts 14 fish in a 10 gallon tank. And also all of those get 1 to 2 inches each so that's way overstocked for a 10 gallon plus most of them their water conditions are all over the place.

5. NutterFishlore VIPMember

I agree that L. Meleagris need a larger tank. A pair in a 20gal is usually the way to go with them. More suitable for a 10gal would be Neolamprologus Multifasciatus. A small colony of those will be ok in a 10gal with enough shells to claim as home with a little territory around each one. Here's a site that could be usefull for you:  

I won't comment on the other option until you have clarified if you mean all of the fish or if they are seperate options.

6. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

I think the "OR" is pretty clear that there are two options......

7. NutterFishlore VIPMember

That's my take on it to but I'll still wait for clarification. If it's any consolation I wouldn't be choosing option two if it is supposed to include all of those fish. :)

8. GBR.MoorrreeeeValued MemberMember

Sorry about the confusion. The websites I had looked at for the blue-eyes said that there water req.were different. So shell dweller wise these are the species that I understand can work in a ten from the website nutter gave
    Lamprologus meleagris/stappersi
    Neolamprologus similis
    ornatippinis
    speciosus
    kungwee
    Neolamprologus brevis

9. e_watson09Well Known MemberMember

Just because a fish can go in a min of 10 gallons doesn't mean you can have say 10 fish that need a min of 10 gallons. I'm not sure how many fish you're planning on but it'd be helpful to go more indepth as to what you really want then what you'd like to have and also how many fish you are really planning on because it just went from 14 to an unknown number with 6 different species and I'm sure you'd have more than one of each kind since many fish like to have more of their kind.

10. GBR.MoorrreeeeValued MemberMember

I'm sorry. The only thing im looking at now is the shell dwellers. I'm not sure on how many but from what websites i've looked at they say a trio for the larger ones and a colony for the smaller. I'm trying to get the numbers down but am not sure what exactly they mean by a "colony". The ones in the post above are the ones i've found on websites that say they can go in 10 gallons well, and i'd do it as a species tank. Sorry for the confusion.

11. NutterFishlore VIPMember

I don't think all of the ones you listed are recommended for smaller tanks. If you go to the Shellies site & click on articles up the top, you will find an article for Shellies that are suitable for 10gal tanks. A colony usually means a breeding colony. EG: 1 male 4 females or whatever the ratio of females is to a single male. Occasionally it means multiple pairs but I don't think that's the case with Shellies.

12. GBR.MoorrreeeeValued MemberMember

These were all of them that were recommended and several more. Here's the site;  Would i be able to keep a colony in the 10??
    ( The kungwee wasn't supposed to be in there)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  13. NutterFishlore VIPMember

I disagree with many of the Shellies they claim to be suitable for a 10gal. In some of those cases you would only be able to go with a single fish & in others only a breeding pair. Read the article in the link I gave you on Shellies suitable for 10gal tanks. & do some research into the size, behaviour & territory needs of the Shellies your interested in. With the Meleagris you will soon work out that they should be in a larger tank. Brevis or Multifasciatus would be the two I would choose from.

14. GBR.MoorrreeeeValued MemberMember

Sorry. Which site??

15. GBR.MoorrreeeeValued MemberMember

Thanks. So if i went with Multifasciatus how many should i get?

16. NutterFishlore VIPMember

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice