10 gallon planted tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by convict15, Jan 5, 2013.

1. convict15Valued MemberMember

I set up a 10 gallon planted tank a while back as my first planted/dirted tank. Its been set up for 3 months now and I have 5 neons tetras and 3 otos in there currently. I was wondering if I could add some fancy guppies to the tank. If so how many? If I bumped up the neon school to 8 how many fancy guppies could I have then? Thx

2. Bettalover99Valued MemberMember

Don't add anymore neons I think you have enough for such a small tank . Neons like to dart around and from what I've heard ottos need alot
    More space however I could be mistaken or mixed up. As far as guppies you have to be prepared for
    Alot of fry , your going to need a seperate tank to house your fry and if you don't this is unfair to the babies as the ones that survive would be cramed. I would go with the 1 male to 3 female ratio and purchase only that.

3. convict15Valued MemberMember

Could I just get males to avoid babies

4. Bettalover99Valued MemberMember

You could do that, I didn't think you were getting them as Pets I thought you were hoping to breed them, of course you could do that

5. oscarsbudWell Known MemberMember

IMO, I don't think you can add much more to what you already have. And if you do add just male guppies you might have an aggression issue to deal with.

6. kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

I wouldn't add anything else either. Three otos in such a small tank is dangerous; they often don't want to eat prepared foods and it'll be hard to keep up enough algae for them. Neons are pretty active and personally I wouldn't keep them in only 10 gallons - I have them in a 20 and they use every inch of it - but other members think that 10 gallons is the minimum.

Personally I would rehome the otos and get a few more neons so you have a full school....well, honestly if it was MY tank I would upgrade to a larger one ;) Or get something more suited for a 10 gallon tank, like CPDs or endlers. But I would rehome the otos either way.

7. convict15Valued MemberMember

I could put the Otis in my 40 breeder. My dad will only let me have a 10 gallon in my room since I'm on the 2nd floor and he doesn't want water running through the whole house if a bigger tank breaks, so all my larger tanks are downstairs. So if the Otis go to the 40 what could I have as far as neons and guppies?

8. kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

Understandable, though I know people who've had 100+ gallon tanks on the second floor without a problem :p Sometimes there's no convincing those parents, though.

Hmmm hard to say, since personally I don't think neons should be in a 10 :p I would at least get one more, so you have the "technical" minimum of six. With that...maybe three guppies? I'd wait for someone else to answer first though. Maybe your dad will take the neons too? ;)

9. lp89Valued MemberMember

I would also suggest asking your dad to take the neons.

I just made this video of my neons in my 29g (3 times the size). Look how they use the entire length of the tank:
    [video=youtube;SQeBDaHDK-A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQeBDaHDK-A[/video]

There are lots of options for 10gs, why don't you try doing a forum search for suggestions. One of my favourites is a divided 10g betta tank :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice