10 Gallon Planted Tank - Runsoncoffee's 1st Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by RunsOnCoffee, Apr 17, 2019 at 12:50 PM.

1. RunsOnCoffeeNew MemberMember

Hello guys! How are y'all doing?

Since I posted in the forum for the first time, time sure has flown by. I haven't gotten as far as I would like, but I guess we are finally getting somewhere and I thought I'd post about my work in progress. I am still setting things up and trying out different rocks I've been collecting.

I encountered some hiccups along the road. The first stand I ordered arrived badly damaged. The first tank I ordered, also arrived damaged. Amazon was much more pleasant to deal with than Petco. Hence, Petco will forever have lost my business.

But now we're finally here:
    20190417_115039.jpg

- White stand (that will eventually be replaced with something much nicer - I am not a huge fan of this stand but it will do for now).
    - 10 gallon rimless tank - yes, I will get a lid cut at one of the local glass places to prevent fish suicides
    - Aquaclear 30
    - clean towel (no, it won't be staying in... I just didn't want to scratch the glass with the rocks)
    - 2 rocks
    - LED light
    Not pictured: Heater (50W), freshwater master test kit, ammonia, prime, substrate (Amazonia) and some other stuff...

Plan going forward:
    - Make sure nothing leaks
    - Put in soil
    - Play with hardscape some more (I need to find more rocks that will work with these two)
    - in the meantime make sure I test my tap water
    - come up with more plant ideas, and then buy them at "local" LFS 1 hour away
    - start fishless cycle

Plant ideas so far:
    -Vallisneria (background)
    - Java Moss in between Rocks
    - Anubias in front of filter
    - Dwarf Hair Grass as possible carpet...
    - a couple small crypts...

I know I still have to do my plants homework and still have some more stuff to do.
    I was planning on starting the fishless cycle after the plants are in.

If you guys have any ideas or suggestions, especially in regards to plants, please feel free to share. I love to profit from your experiences. :)

2. GiulWell Known MemberMember

Congrats! I love reading these threads as they’re so open to possibility. Will you be injecting CO2 in the tank? The hairgrass would appreciate it but I don’t believe it’s necessary. If you’re patient you can use the dry start method to get a nice, full hairgrass carpet before filling it up. @Colleen B did this for her tank and it worked out really well! Also do you know the intensity of your light? The hairgrass would benefit from a high light too.

For whatever reason I can’t grow Val’s though I desperately tried. Instead I use pearl weed as my background plant for my 10 and so far I really like it. I use Thrive as my weekly fertilizer and I highly reccomend it too

3. RunsOnCoffeeNew MemberMember

I am not sure about the intensity of the light. It came with the Cobalt Aquatics Microvue 30 Kit (the tank arrived broken but I kept the light and internal filter). According to the description it's enough to grow plants... I was thinking of upgrading the light if I noticed that the plants needed something brighter. Already have one of the Finnex picked out ;-)

Probably holding off on CO2 for now. But will consider it down the road. :) Very much appreciate the input and fertilizer suggestion. We will see if I get lucky with the vals...

Can't wait to see this tank progress and come to life. :)

4. Colleen BWell Known MemberMember

I actually didn't do the dry start method! that was my plan but I ended up using monte carlo

5. GiulWell Known MemberMember

Ah, yes. I was just thinking of the title, I forgot you got excited and filled it ;)

@RunsOnCoffee I’m not familiar with the Cobalt light but fingers crossed that it serves you well!

6. imbaWell Known MemberMember

Great start, rimless tanks look best! :)
    With the hair grass, it might be hard for it to carpet without CO2 and a good light. I would just plant more initially creating a more carpet look upfront.

7. RunsOnCoffeeNew MemberMember

Hardscaping... just a picture today. Time for family movie pizza night. :)20190419_165222.jpg

8. GiulWell Known MemberMember

I like this a lot more than what you had before! I’m excited to see plants in there too

9. RunsOnCoffeeNew MemberMember

Me too. Especially the towel wasn't the best substrate...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice