10 Gallon Planted Tank - Runsoncoffee's 1st Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by RunsOnCoffee, Apr 17, 2019.

1. RunsOnCoffee

RunsOnCoffeeValued MemberMember

Hello guys! How are y'all doing?

Since I posted in the forum for the first time, time sure has flown by. I haven't gotten as far as I would like, but I guess we are finally getting somewhere and I thought I'd post about my work in progress. I am still setting things up and trying out different rocks I've been collecting.

I encountered some hiccups along the road. The first stand I ordered arrived badly damaged. The first tank I ordered, also arrived damaged. Amazon was much more pleasant to deal with than Petco. Hence, Petco will forever have lost my business.

But now we're finally here:
    20190417_115039.jpg

- White stand (that will eventually be replaced with something much nicer - I am not a huge fan of this stand but it will do for now).
    - 10 gallon rimless tank - yes, I will get a lid cut at one of the local glass places to prevent fish suicides
    - Aquaclear 30
    - clean towel (no, it won't be staying in... I just didn't want to scratch the glass with the rocks)
    - 2 rocks
    - LED light
    Not pictured: Heater (50W), freshwater master test kit, ammonia, prime, substrate (Amazonia) and some other stuff...

Plan going forward:
    - Make sure nothing leaks
    - Put in soil
    - Play with hardscape some more (I need to find more rocks that will work with these two)
    - in the meantime make sure I test my tap water
    - come up with more plant ideas, and then buy them at "local" LFS 1 hour away
    - start fishless cycle

Plant ideas so far:
    -Vallisneria (background)
    - Java Moss in between Rocks
    - Anubias in front of filter
    - Dwarf Hair Grass as possible carpet...
    - a couple small crypts...

I know I still have to do my plants homework and still have some more stuff to do.
    I was planning on starting the fishless cycle after the plants are in.

If you guys have any ideas or suggestions, especially in regards to plants, please feel free to share. I love to profit from your experiences. :)

2. Giul

GiulWell Known MemberMember

Congrats! I love reading these threads as they’re so open to possibility. Will you be injecting CO2 in the tank? The hairgrass would appreciate it but I don’t believe it’s necessary. If you’re patient you can use the dry start method to get a nice, full hairgrass carpet before filling it up. @Colleen B did this for her tank and it worked out really well! Also do you know the intensity of your light? The hairgrass would benefit from a high light too.

For whatever reason I can’t grow Val’s though I desperately tried. Instead I use pearl weed as my background plant for my 10 and so far I really like it. I use Thrive as my weekly fertilizer and I highly reccomend it too

3. OP
    OP
    RunsOnCoffee

I am not sure about the intensity of the light. It came with the Cobalt Aquatics Microvue 30 Kit (the tank arrived broken but I kept the light and internal filter). According to the description it's enough to grow plants... I was thinking of upgrading the light if I noticed that the plants needed something brighter. Already have one of the Finnex picked out ;-)

Probably holding off on CO2 for now. But will consider it down the road. :) Very much appreciate the input and fertilizer suggestion. We will see if I get lucky with the vals...

Can't wait to see this tank progress and come to life. :)

4. Colleen B

Colleen BWell Known MemberMember

I actually didn't do the dry start method! that was my plan but I ended up using monte carlo

5. Giul

Ah, yes. I was just thinking of the title, I forgot you got excited and filled it ;)

@RunsOnCoffee I’m not familiar with the Cobalt light but fingers crossed that it serves you well!

6. imba

imbaWell Known MemberMember

Great start, rimless tanks look best! :)
    With the hair grass, it might be hard for it to carpet without CO2 and a good light. I would just plant more initially creating a more carpet look upfront.

7. OP
    OP
    RunsOnCoffee

Hardscaping... just a picture today. Time for family movie pizza night. :)20190419_165222.jpg

8. Giul

I like this a lot more than what you had before! I’m excited to see plants in there too

9. OP
    OP
    RunsOnCoffee

Me too. Especially the towel wasn't the best substrate...

10. OP
    OP
    RunsOnCoffee

Coming along slowly. Latest water testing showed that my Ph is stable at 6.4 - more acidic than I would like. KH is basically 0 and GH stable at 7 dGH. I put a tbsp of crushed coral into my filter and will see how that affects the water in a few days. I am in no rush to cycle the tank, so I can take my time figuring this out slowly.

Oh, yes, we got some anubias nana petite in there, and a bit of moss. Still waiting for my Dwarf Hair Grass to come in the mail and the new light fixture for it. 1556144305080.jpg

11. OP
    OP
    RunsOnCoffee

We will see how things go from here. :)20190501_160027.jpg

12. Fanatic

FanaticFishlore VIPMember

It's absolutely gorgeous, the rocks are arranged perfectly!

13. OP
    OP
    RunsOnCoffee

Thank you

14. OP
    OP
    RunsOnCoffee

According to my water testing results this morning I have accumulated three Infinity Stones. Time for another water change.
    1556890890467.jpg

15. OP
    OP
    RunsOnCoffee

New light... it is really bright, so I will have to see how long my lights need to stay on/off and which brightness setting suits my needs better.
    I am considering adding duck weed. But not sure about it.
    At the moment I have the timer for the light set to be in for 6 hrs a day - 2 hrs in the morning and 4 in the afternoon. I might cut back ok the time in the morning and add it to afternoon/early evening when the fam is home, for viewing pleasure.

Definitely considering CO2... especially with this light. Algae taking over would stink...

Opinions and suggestions welcome. :)20190503_183643.jpg

16. Giul

I like the light, but I would advise against duckweed. It literally grows like a weed but it’s so small that it’s hard to get rid of. I would do dwarf water lettuce or red root floaters instead. If your light is strong enough the red root floaters may even flower

17. OP
    OP
    RunsOnCoffee

Awesome! Thanks. I will look into them.

18. OP
    OP
    RunsOnCoffee

My tank has moved on to converting approximately 3 ppm ammonia to nitrite and nitrate in a 24 hr period. More nitrate than nitrite. Huzzah!
    I guess I am getting really close to finishing the cycling process.
    20190505_094502.jpg

19. OP
    OP
    RunsOnCoffee

I ran my usual water tests this morning while sipping my dark morning brew, and I am happy to report: It seems that I am cycled.
    NH3: 0, NO2: 0, NO3: about 40 ppm.

I will do another 50% water change and redose ammonia to 3 ppm and see what tomorrow looks like. And then continue dosing and water changes until Sunday when I have time to pick up my CPDs from my LFS guy and nitrates are lower.

20. OP
    OP
    RunsOnCoffee

I forgot to attach the picture...

Also, worth mentioning that all my plants already have new growth. 20190508_081205.jpg20190508_082234.jpg