10 gallon planted betta palace

sairving

After the last round of maintenance on my 5.5 gallon 'rimless" tank, I decided to make my life easier and buy a rimmed tank. Pet Supplies Plus was having a sale, so I bought a 10 gallon tank. Today, I picked up a tank lid and found a nice piece of driftwood at my LFS.

The sponge filter and Aquatop forza 5-15 HOB will be transferred over to the new tank. I'm going to start running the tank with my finnex planted plus clip. We'll see how things go for a few months. If the tank needs a bigger filter or a different light, I'll switch them out then.

I'm currently deciding what to use for substrate right now. The 5 gallon has seachem flourite red. I'm not super thrilled with it, but it's loaded with beneficial bacteria. I could mix it with Brightwell Aquatics FlorinVolcanit Rio Escuro-F or I could buy pfs. I'm not sure what I want to do yet.

I would like to put most of my funds towards planting this tank as heavily as possible right from the start. This is why I'm leaving more towards pfs at the moment.

I'm even mulling over getting a small clean-up crew. Maybe some pygmy corydoras. Louie the betta could care less about his nerite snail roomie. I'm hoping he'd be okay with a few bottom feeders.

IMG_20210920_135442939_HDR.jpg

BigManAquatics

That piece if wood looks like fishy fun!

sairving

It does look like fishy fun.

sairving

I have finally figured out what I'm going to do for the substrate. Another fishkeeper said they use a mix of sand, aquasoil, and gravel for the areas that will have plants. Then cap it off with sand. It will give the plants some nutrients but not cost a ton.

I'm giving it a try. Small bags of fluval stratum are sold out pretty much everywhere. So, I bought a small bag of brightwell aquatics planted substrate and pool filter sand from Ace Hardware. Both should be here by the weekend.

Now I can spend some time planning the scape.

sairving

Today was the day. My friend came over and helped out. It went a lot faster with extra help.

First, I added a small bag of aquasoil. Then I capped that off with a lot of pool filter sand. One thing I've learned is the substrate in my previous tanks wasn't always deep enough. We added the wood and used rocks to make sure it stays standing. I did add some corkscrew val and mermaid weed. We'll see if they make it.

I do need some more plants. Plus, I'll probably rearrange things a bit over the next few weeks. Tank is cloudy right now. I'll take another picture in a day.

Attachments

• IMG_20210926_165516137.jpg
    IMG_20210926_165516137.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 14

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Davidh9054
Replies
Views
Chewbacca773
Replies