10 gallon planted Betta aquarium

1. Echostatic Well Known Member Member

Alright, this is a continuation of this thread!

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/betta-fish/117875-its-official-i-have-mts.html

Picture time!

Ghost shrimp added to tank, off to begin their ceaseless foraging!
    [​IMG]

Here's another, smaller one.
    [​IMG]

Mr. Betta is added to the tank, sees his reflection, and provides a beautiful flare! I don't think he's a halfmoon, but I love his look.
    [​IMG]

Mr. Betta flares a bit more, before going off to do other things.
    [​IMG]

Full tank shot
    [​IMG]

Shrimp sighted! Must investigate this clear terrified squirmy fast swimming thing.
    [​IMG]

Curiosity satisfied, off to explore more.
    [​IMG]

Shrimp tries to recover from the heart attack induced by the giant frilly pink and blue thing with sharp pointy teeth.
    [​IMG]

Mr. Betta finds a nice looking corner.
    [​IMG]

Aaaand off to the other side of the tank to check out the hardware.
    [​IMG]

2. Echostatic Well Known Member Member

What's this thing sticking out of the ground?
    [​IMG]

Food? *Taste* no... Definitely not food.
    [​IMG]

Traumatized shrimp begs to be let out.
    [​IMG]

Shrimp forget their fears when they discover a big heaping helping of food!
    [​IMG]

Mr. Betta really likes the corner. Perhaps he will call this home? Time will tell.
    [​IMG]

And that's what happened. He chased the shrimp some, but maybe he will chill out as he settles in. There were no actual attempts to bite. I'm hoping for clear sailing...

3. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Great pics! He does look to be a HMDT :)

4. Echostatic Well Known Member Member

Should I be concerned about him not showing much of an appetite yet? I got a tub of little betta pellets, and he showed no interest in them this morning.

5. QQQUUUUAADDD Well Known Member Member

Usually it's ok if they don't eat in the first few days. They probably are stressed. On the other hand, my betta gobbled up the pellets in the first day.

6. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Naw, it took a week and a half for one of my boys to eat. He's just stressed out from the move :)

7. Echostatic Well Known Member Member

Oh good! I was a bit concerned. Well the ghost shrimp are certainly enjoying the nice food. I think I'll wait to give Mr. Betta a name. I must find a quirk to name him after.

8. Echostatic Well Known Member Member

I am happy to report that he ate his full allotment of three pellets just now. So far so good! (I have a tub of NLS betta pellets, is 3 pellets twice a day a good regimen? skip a day weekly?)

I stopped by the LFS on the way home that repordedly carried Segrest Farms stock. He said his neons came from a local guy, but insisted he takes good care of them before selling them to the LFS. (Then again, isn't that expected to be said no matter the case?) His tanks do look healthy though, and he seems pretty smart, recommending agaisnt buying any fish until they had been in the store for a few days to make sure no problems come up in that time. I dunno if I should chance it or not.

9. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I find only feeding 3 of those NLS little pellets isn't enough. I feed 5 or 6, twice a day.

Thats up to, really. If they all look good, go for it, just, obviously, QT any new fish :)

10. Echostatic Well Known Member Member

There's that darned Q word... *looks around* Let's see, where to put a QT... Dresser surface is taken up by fire ants, work shelf is taken up by carpenter ants and tailless whip scorpion, empty custom gargoyle gecko habitat was demolished to make room for the 29g, roach tank was moved off the side table and onto the floor to make room for the 10g, other work shelf is taken up by OTHER carpenter ants... Hm. Well this is a real pickle. Where in the heck can I put a QT tank? The good news is there's another old 10g lying around that can be cleaned up and used for such a thing.

11. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

You can put it on the floor in a safe place ;)

12. Echostatic Well Known Member Member

...Erm... Lets see... I got a pile of empty terrariums over here, my computer and everything is on the floor to free up a workshelf for ants and actual projects, water buckets and cricket "critter keepers" (and a microscope for some reason) are all bunched together by the roach tank... I could move my mighty 400kv Van De Graaff generator somewhere else to make room for a tank, but that spot gets sunlight for part of the day... There is one surface I could try, I'm using it to do all my water testing on. It's a small TV stand, but it's the same one that started to bow when I tried to use it for my 29g, when it was half full. It might be iffy. Maybe if I put some foam or something down to better distribute the weight...

Also, you probably know, how does one run a quarantine tank? There is no cycle, so do you just do daily water changes and dose prime?

13. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

You run an extra filter sponge in the filter of your main tank, and then when you buy new fish, you pop a filer sponge in the QT filer, and you have a magical cycled tank =D

14. Echostatic Well Known Member Member

...Oh... Hey, I'm already doing that! Sweet.

Mr. Betta has been playing nice with his tankmates so far. I went ahead and tossed a couple MTS in to help keep things tidy.

15. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Glad everyones getting along =D

16. Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

I'm enjoying your running commentary on Mr. Betta and the shrimp!

(umm, unless "fire ants" are a project of some sort, they really don't belong on your dresser. And a can of HotShot will take care of your roach tank... muwhahahaha)

17. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I agree with this :p

18. escapay Well Known Member Member

Love the photos and the captions. :)

19. Echostatic Well Known Member Member

My fire ants are a mega pet >.>

I always see strange quirks with my water it seems... I have about .25 ppm of nitrite out of nowhere. No ammonia. I dosed with Prime, hopefully the nitrites will have poofed by tomorrow.

20. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I think your water hates you XD