10 gallon. Overstocked? want to add dwarf Gourami

Royal pleco

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello, I have a 10 gallon that needs some umph to it. It currently houses 2 black skirt Tetras (I know they need to be in groups of 5) and 3 small albino cory cats. Does any think I could add 1 flame Dwarf GouramI to the mix? Thanks

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi! If I haven't said it before, welcome to FishLore
Imo and experience a DG shouldn't be in anything less than a 20 gallon. They really like room to cruise.

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
hmmm, I am not completely sure.....but that might put you a little over your stocking limit. you could maybe do a couple of something smaller? i'd have to think about what would work with the little space you have left.

of course I think if you were to be a little overstocked, having really good filtration would certainly help. you could upgrade your filter.....not that it's permission to really overstock....but if you a bit over, that can really help.

pinksprklmonkey

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Are you keeping the tetras? I think if I were you I would get the school up to 5 if you are going to keep them and add another cory so that they are in the right numbers. If you put the dwarf gouramI in I think you'd be over stocked. If you rehomed the tetras I think you could have the DG and the corys. I'm sure there will be other opinions. Good luck!!

Rhan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I don't think its a good idea having only the 2 tetras and a dwarf gourami, the widows (plus some other species) can get nippy when not in a proper school. Also, even dwarf gouramis can sometimes be a little aggressive and territorial - if this happened in a 10 gallon tank it would be a rather large headache for you and not much fun for the fish (it was irritating enough for me in a 40 gallon tank....)

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Like Lucy, I believe Dwarf Gouramis need at least 20 gallon. They are way too active to feel comfortable in only 10 gallon. I would add antoth 3 Tetras to bring the number up to 5 & leave it at that. Even then you will be slightly overstocked. There's really not that many fish that can go into a 10 gallon tank in the right numbers, so best to just work with what you have & make them feel as comfortable as possible.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
wanted to add that I have some albino cories that are topping out at 3 1/2 inches to almost 4 so they are going to need more space soon too ......I think the black skirts, even if you upped the school, is going to be a super nippy bunch in that small of a space....

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads