10 Gallon Overpopulated?

FEARADDAY

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Al913 said:
LOL, many people think their fish isn't stressed or there is no problem if the fish is eating and swimming.

The stress is mental health and sometimes you can see it through behavioral. Through many years in the hobby, we know that corys living by themselves or in less than a group of 5-6 they normally don't live long. Again, corys are a shoaling fish, thus they are more social than schooling fish. Lack of being in a group is detrimental to their health. It is similar if I took a kid and secluded him from the rest of his life from any human interaction. After awhile the kid won't be in the best shape mentally, although behaviorally he will still do normal human things
oh, well should i replace him with something? or just take him out?

Al913

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
No you should take him out, this way he may be able to live with others of his own kind

I suggest you get shrimps and/or snail which are actual clean up crew.

FEARADDAY

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Al913 said:
No you should take him out, this way he may be able to live with others of his own kind

I suggest you get shrimps and/or snail which are actual clean up crew.
i cant just return him becuase he was 5 dollars and the waranty was only for 2 days {ive had him for about 2 weeks}

Al913

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You can always donate or return for free. Normally the warranty is to get your money back. The only other choice would be to get a 20 gallon, and then buy 5 more.

Can you post a picture of it?

FEARADDAY

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Al913 said:
You can always donate or return for free. Normally the warranty is to get your money back. The only other choice would be to get a 20 gallon, and then buy 5 more.

um im in school night now, i will do it at lunch, what do you want a picture of the tank?

FEARADDAY said:
um im in school night now, i will do it at lunch, what do you want a picture of the tank?
could i add a betta? or would he attack everything?

Al913

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
FEARADDAY said:
could i add a betta? or would he attack everything?
Either he will attack the other fish, or the other fish will attack him. Guppies are also known to be nippers.

You're already fully stocked.

FEARADDAY

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Al913 said:

can i get a betta? or would it attack my guppies?

Al913 said:
Either he will attack the other fish, or the other fish will attack him. Guppies are also known to be nippers.

You're already fully stocked.
sorry sent that twice, do yo want me to send a picture of my tank?

FEARADDAY

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
BottomDweller said:
Al913 has given good advice

Apart from the whole aggression issue bettas would prefer warmer water to the platies.

Once you've rehomed the cory you could add an Asian stone catfish, some shrimp and nerite snail.
how do i get one? are they rare? expensive? can you send me a link to one for sale?

BottomDweller said:
Al913 has given good advice

Apart from the whole aggression issue bettas would prefer warmer water to the platies.

Once you've rehomed the cory you could add an Asian stone catfish, some shrimp and nerite snail.
how many can i get?

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I wouldn't add any other fish, you'll be stocked once you remove the Cory. Asian stone fish also have a lower optimal temperature than the others as well. You could add some shrimp or snail if you'd like though.

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The Asian stone fish Have a range of 64-75F, their optimal range would be either big 60s or low 70s. Platies have a range of 68-79, their optimal range would be in the mid 70s. Personally I wouldn't put them together because their temp difference is a bit much IMO.

I'd recommend rehoming the Cory and just keeping what you have.

Al913

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It's noctornal so you need to feed at night, I believe they are also not the best for beginners. I think @TexasDomer might own some

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I've kept one, and they are not easy fish. Mine couldn't even compete with food with cherry shrimp; they stole the food I put in for him before he could eat it. I had to hand feed him every day. They are also very reclusive.

Affinitymlg

Valued Member
Reaction score
Danjamesdixon said:
You need to be thinking about rehoming fish right now, not buying more.
You should take this into major consideration, if your really interested in getting more fish you should just get a 20 or 29 gallon so you can add more fish right now I don't think it would be wise to add anything else except inverts(cleanup) if you overstock your tank it's just more work and more stress because you be asking questions why your fish are getting sick and you will have to change water frequently and your fish won't be happy

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom