10 Gallon On Desk?

RachelNoel

Valued Member
Reaction score
So I have this desk that I'm thinking of using as an aquarium stand. It is decently long as you can see in the photo (that I hope shows up as I have never put a picture on here) and very sturdy. I think it's oak but I don't know how to tell. I plan on putting the tank more to the side on one if the "legs" if that matters.

If the pic does show up I apologize about the quality.
And sorry about the mess, just doing some overdue spring cleaning.

Attachments

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
the tank should weigh around 100 pounds so if you can sit on it the tank will be fine.

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hey Rachel,
Pretty sure it isnt oak but it looks sturdy. A 10 gallon tank with water only is about 85 lbs so you add substrate and rock and filter call it 100 lbs or so. You should have no problem with that as a stand.

RachelNoel

Valued Member
Reaction score
david1978 said:
the tank should weigh around 100 pounds so if you can sit on it the tank will be fine.
yeah, I stood on it and it only shook a little bit when I was jiggling around; and I'm pretty sure that's just due to the floor being noticeably uneven (I will be using shims).
NavyChief20 said:
Hey Rachel,
Pretty sure it isnt oak but it looks sturdy. A 10 gallon tank with water only is about 85 lbs so you add substrate and rock and filter call it 100 lbs or so. You should have no problem with that as a stand.
that really is good to know. Stands are expensive, and usually unsightly IMO
Thanks guys!

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I dont use store bought stands cause they cheap out on construction. They charge too much for shoddy engineering plus they rarely have the right interior dimensions for my filtration. You can build a stand very inexpensively and make it look how you want. In your case that desk will work wonders.

RachelNoel

Valued Member
Reaction score
NavyChief20 said:
I dont use store bought stands cause they cheap out on construction. They charge too much for shoddy engineering plus they rarely have the right interior dimensions for my filtration. You can build a stand very inexpensively and make it look how you want. In your case that desk will work wonders.
definitely! I was going to build a cinder block stand but those are ugly and the desk is free so I'm super relieved.

Lorekeeper

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I have a 10 gallon sitting on a particle board dresser that I reinforced with a 2x4. I sat on it for about an hour before I put the tank on the dresser, and no issues.

RachelNoel

Valued Member
Reaction score
Lorekeeper said:
I have a 10 gallon sitting on a particle board dresser that I reinforced with a 2x4. I sat on it for about an hour before I put the tank on the dresser, and no issues.
good to know,

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom