10 Gallon Nanofish Ideas

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by NinjaTetra, Aug 9, 2015.

1. NinjaTetraWell Known MemberMember

I just set up a 10 gallon, aquascaped with a backdrop of rock and with some smaller plants in front. I'll show pics later. Anyways, I've had a lit of different ideas for stocking, but would love input.
    -A single male betta: I would pick out a super eyecatching betta. It would throw off the scale of the scape a bit, but its still an option.
    - A pair of killifish: Never had experience with these, but they seem like cool nanofish.
    -A pair of any other nanofish would be cool. They would have to stay under an inch and stay lower in the tank to fit in nicely, so gouramis are probably not the best.
    -A school of tiny tiny fish( tetras and celestial pearl danios were ky ideas) : If I could find a schooling fish that stays under an inch and is a little out of the norm, that would be cool.
    Thanks!

~ <-----thats one of those cool squiggly lines you do before a signature.

2. AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

I would go with a school of dwarf Rasboras. They would look great in a small aquascaped tank

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

Espes rasbora, ember tetra, boraras maculatus all school and would fit in a 10.

4. AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

I think you can also do some sparkling gourami's

5. NinjaTetraWell Known MemberMember

Oh yeah! Sparkling gouramis were one idea, but the scape only goes about 2/3 of the way up and my pearl gourami tends to stay at the top, so I figured they do too. Any experience with them?

6. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

How bout a shellie tank? Almost guaranteed to stay on the bottom.

7. chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

Sparkling Gouramis actually spend a lot of time in the lower part of the tank, rather unusual for a Gourami. They build their bubble nest under a leaf or object near the substrate. I've used coconut shells for them, as well as small flowerpots tilted so that the nest stays inside.

Croaking Gouramis spend more time at the surface, and prefer to build their nest there like normal Gouramis. I have not bred the third species, schalleri.

8. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

I replied to your duplicate thread, but what about a few scarlet badis or an Indian dwarf puffer?

9. NinjaTetraWell Known MemberMember

I've looked into scarlet badis, live and frozen food might be a bit pf a hassle this next month, but they seem to be really awesome. I haven't looked into a puffer yet. Shellie? What are those? And I always thought spakling gouramis, croaking gouramis, and pygmy gouramis were the same? I've seen them listed as synonyms for each other, so if I bought one, might I end up getting the wrong kind?

10. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

11. NinjaTetraWell Known MemberMember

Shellies seem cool... But in an aquascaped tank with eco-complete as the substrate, are they ideal? It seems like they move the substrate and shells around a lot, so with some low growing plants, that may not be best. Also, it said in 40 liters (which is about 10.5 gallons), 4 or 5 is a good amount of shellies. What do you think?

12. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

i guess I missed the part about the substrate and plants. In that case, shellies are out.

13. NinjaTetraWell Known MemberMember

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1439179720.299686.jpg
    Heres a low quality pic. Haha, too bad, shellies look awesome. Maybe way into the future. I'm wanting to do some sort of pair, any ideas?

14. AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

Nice tank! A school of dwarf fish would look great in there :)

15. junebugFishlore LegendMember

You can't put anything in that tank until the pearl gourami is out of it. Pearls get too large for a 10 gallon.

If you move the pearl, sparkling gouramis would be awesome in that tank, with a fancy snail or two and a herd of feeder grade cherry shrimp. They're one of the most engaging fish I've ever had.

If you want bottom dwelling fish, a trio of scarlet badis and a herd of feeder cherry shrimp would be a great option. You would have to supplement their diet with live worms though, as they usually can't be trained onto prepared foods. Boraras maculatus would be a fun, unusual and colorful fish.

Also I'm going to put it out there even though they're larger than your ideal size when full grown - Barbus hulstaerti would look great in that tank. They're a gorgeous fish, spend much time exploring, and peaceful for a barb. Mine are wild caught and they eat readily anything I put in the tank, including stealing pellets from the cories.

16. NinjaTetraWell Known MemberMember

Thanks. I can't decide between some sort of pair or a school. I'm almost tempted to try and do tetras of some sort m... But my other tank is mostly south-american, so I think it would be cool to do asian fish. ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1439183766.903366.jpg
    This book I got a couple year ago on good tropical fish recomends these combinations, seems a bit overstocked to me... Are kuhli loaches even an option for a 10?

17. junebugFishlore LegendMember

Kuhli loaches would be smashing into the walls of a 10. Way too spazzy IMO, the need at minimum a 20 long. They're very active when they're happy.

I would totally ignore anything that book had to say. Marbled hatchets, corydoras, cherry barbs, and all loaches, are schooling fish and require AT LEAST 5 in a group.

If you decide to do tetras, the only suitable species is the Ember tetra. Fortunately they are gorgeous fish and look amazing in planted tanks.

18. NinjaTetraWell Known MemberMember

Yeah, I've known the book was off. Mostly wanted to point that out.

Any ideas? I don't like the look of ember tetras for this tank much, I'm leaning towards the idea of a single fish or a pair. I just feel limited in that whenever I look it up, killifish appear to be the only option.

19. junebugFishlore LegendMember

Well I gave you a couple other options, as did some other responders.

If you do go with killifish but don't like the look of the tropical freshwater species, have a look at Pygmy killifish from online shops that sell US natives. They're beautiful, colorful, and hardy.

20. NinjaTetraWell Known MemberMember

Oh!! I didn't read your first post. My pearl gourami is in my 37 gallon and is doing quite well there. I wouldn't ever think to put him into a little 10 gallon! Sorry if it came across that way. Scarlet badis seem to be really popular for nano tanks. Do they need live food? I've mostly heard that they need live and frozen. I would have to order them online as my lfs doesn't carry them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice