10 Gallon Nano Reef Aggression. Little Solutions

CHAMELEON_BREEZE

Valued Member
Reaction score
I was topping off my 10 gallon nano reef (a little too rough) and now my clownfish is constantly scaring my blue/green chromis into the rocks. Now he can't even go an inch out of the rocks before he gets attacked! Poor guy! I tried talking to my parents but they just say "Let nature take it's course". That stupid "philosophy" only so accurate in the 1960s. They also don't want any more tanks or upgrades, meaning I'm stuck with having to use what I have. I don't have a lot of stuff, however. I can't separate them, as the only tanks I have are small 1 gallons which are TERRIBLE for saltwater fish, even the smallest! Dividing the tank means I have to rearrange the rockscape (plus there's no dividers for 10 gallon tanks). An isolation net would also be a death sentence. What can I do with what little I have, without going to the store, as I will be hit with more "no" bombs from my mom. Do I rebel? Do I just put the clownfish in a 1 gallon? Do I Euthanize one of them? Do I give them away?What?

Fishcat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Would your parents object to your returning one of the fish to the store, and possibly getting store credit to use against a replacement? I’m sure some of our members from the salty side will have suggestions regarding these specific fish, but if it turns out that they truly can’t get along, rehoming one of them is the best solution.

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Would your parents object to your returning one of the fish to the store, and possibly getting store credit to use against a replacement? I’m sure some of our members from the salty side will have suggestions regarding these specific fish, but if it turns out that they truly can’t get along, rehoming one of them is the best solution.
This. Returning the Chromis is the logical choice. A 10 gallon is really poorly suited to them because they are active fish and schooling fish by nature which they can't do in a tank that small. Given the size of the 10 gallon the Clown has likely staked it out as it's turf and it's unlikely it will let you add another fish to it. So either the clown and the chromis will have to go and start over or you will have to resign yourself to simply removing the Chromis and dedicating your tank to the clownfish plus some inverts. @The OP how far away is your LFS where you could return the fish?

CHAMELEON_BREEZE

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have two LFS choices. The first LFS is only 5 miles away. The second is 10 miles away. I'm thinking the first option will be better for giving back fish.

My parents have been saying that I might still be able to get a larger tank. Will this reduce aggression?

Also, the aggression has happened since I first got them. They kind of settled down, but just after the last water change they got cranky again. It's been 4 days since that day and they're seemingly settling, but there's still aggression and the clown is still chasing the other fish into the rocks every so often. Should I just let them be or should I still return one of them so that nothing goes totally wrong? I might get rid of the clown so that I could get some better fish more suited for a 10 gallon, but both might have to go because NONE OF THEM CAN GO IN A 10 GALLON! So, if I do still need to return them, I'll return both. It's going to be sad to let go of my first saltwater fish, though. After that, I might get some 10 gallon fish.

Maybe something like this:
Let me know what you think about my plan.

Magicpenny75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would, if I were you, return both of them and get a firefish...or possibly the possum wrasse. FIrefish are hardy, personable, can do well in a tank that size with proper maintenance, and they won't attack YOU when they get big like a clown would. Clown gobies are cool but they hide a lot, and the PJ Cardinal would much prefer to be in a group with is own kind.
I had a purple firefish and he was one of my favorite fish ever. I couldn't take a picture of my tank without his little mug in the middle of the shot.
IMG_0743.JPG

CHAMELEON_BREEZE

Valued Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking I might get a firefish. My clownfish and chromis seem to do fine in the daytime. However, it's usually at night when they start getting territorial. Should I still rehome them?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom