10 Gallon Nano Odd Ball???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aqua'rd_FishKeeper

Valued Member
Reaction score
got a planted 10g i want to stock with some nano odd ball fish. looking for suggestions or input. so far im thinking:

1 scarlet badis
5 khuli loaches
7 rocket killifish
3-5 assassin snails.

tank has an amazon sword, lots of java fern and anubias, and some some floating plants. also im running a sponge filter on it. any input or suggestions will be appriciated. thanks

Last edited:

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I’d remove the kuhlis(need a 20 long as well as 2 schools shouldn’t be done in a 10) and up the killis to 8.

calypsorufus

Reaction score
Aloha!

This sounds like it's going to be a really fun tank! Kuhli loaches are great fun, when you can see them! Heehee. They are very shy and nocturnal, so 1) they need lots of places to hide and prefer a Sandy substrate and 2) are most active when the lights are off...

The Scarlet Badis is a BEAUTIFUL choice and a super fun nano fish, so long as you keep 1 Male to several Female, or simply 1 Male. Males will get pretty territorial with other males of same species.

As for the Clown Killifish, again, SUPER FUN CHOICE!!! Do keep in mind that they are known to jump out if the water level is too close to the rim and no lid!
I have a 1/2 dozen in my tank and I keep them with Chili Raspbora, about 10 of them, and they get along SUPER WELL!!! I also have lots of floating plants for them to all cruise around in, and this really helps bring out the best coloration.

The Assassin's are also a good choice, but if they don't have anything to give Chase to, they just kinda lay around in the sand. Throw a handful of MTS snails in there (Malaysian Trumpet Snails) and watch them spend the day chasing them around for a snack!

Something to consider:
With the Clown Killifish and Scarlet Badis, you have two fish that have a small mouth and are slow feeders, so maybe consider other slow feeders so that they aren't out competed for food. Threadfin Rainbowfish are a great fish as they are quite pretty when in pairs (M/F), also have a small throat (not mouth) and live a good planted tank with floating plants. Chili Raspbora are also great nano fish and, coincidentally, I happen to have all of these in a 12 Gallon bookcase and haven't lost a fish to date to aggressive behavior...

Best of luck

got a planted 10g i want to stock with some nano odd ball fish. looking for suggestions or input. so far im thinking:

1 scarlet badis
5 khuli loaches
7 rocket killifish or gold ring danios
3-5 assassin snails.

tank has an amazon sword, lots of java fern and anubias, and some some floating plants. also im running a sponge filter on it. any input or suggestions will be appriciated. thanks
...for got to ask, what type of filtration are you going to have here?

I have a 10G planted and I have two internal filters to help OVER-filtrate to help keep the water parameters where I want them, as well as to promote good water flow due to the plants.

You may also want to consider adding something like a Peacock Gudgeon. They are REALLY ATTRACTIVE and have a great personality. They get along with everyone on your list, so that's a win-win...

For filtration, I have a Cascade 300 and 170 on opposite sides of the tank. Really helps. Anyway, best of luck...

Aloha!

Last edited by a moderator:

Aqua'rd_FishKeeper

Valued Member
Reaction score
i have a sponge rated for a 10 gallon but i can also throw on a small HOB & pre-filter for more filtration. Also i realize a 10 gallon isnt alot of real estate. but i really think i can get the khulis in because only 1 badis will be in the lower to mid region, while the rocket killies will be near the surface. for feeding i plan to feed the same foods as my other nano tanks. foods like blood worms, cyclops, mysis shrimps, betta pellets(i like the size) and crushed tropical flake. also thumbs up on the peacock gudgeon and mts suggetsion.

calypsorufus

Reaction score
i have a sponge rated for a 10 gallon but i can also throw on a small HOB & pre-filter for more filtration. Also i realize a 10 gallon isnt alot of real estate. but i really think i can get the khulis in because only 1 badis will be in the lower to mid region, while the rocket killies will be near the surface. for feeding i plan to feed the same foods as my other nano tanks. foods like blood worms, cyclops, mysis shrimps, betta pellets(i like the size) and crushed tropical flake. also thumbs up on the peacock gudgeon and mts suggetsion.
The done may be a little shall for your needs. Remember that in a planted tank, you want to avoid dead pockets (areas of little to no flow). I use a Cascade 170 for this reason. I can plunge it lower into the tank or bring it up to the surface for additional oxygenation at night.

Screenshot_20180316-134112.jpeg

This is good for planted tanks as it allows you a little control of water flow... and it is WAY easier to hide!

$3.00-$5.00 on Amazon. Comes from China, do it may take a few days to arrive, but definitely worth the wait! I also use an air pump rated for more than what the tank size is as flow/rating will decrease substantially as the pores on the sponge begin to get obstructed... Just FYI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Advertisement

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 6 60.0%

Top Bottom