10 Gallon Low Flow Betta Filter Suggestions

PhatDave
I've got a betta in a 10 gallon tank, looking for a filter with a low flow and that is quiet. Planning on adding live plants in the near future as well as using a sand substrate. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

adh/smile
I've really wanted to get a quiet, low flow filter for quite some time now. I'm waiting for my current filter to stop working though... (I think it will still last a good long while :shifty. Anyhoo, I've been researching filters and found on Amazon an Aqua Clear Power Filter that is supposed to be really quiet with good water flow for good filtration AND it's adjustable so you can control the water flow!

Of course, I've never actually owned this (supposedly AMAZING) filter myself, so it could be absolutely terrible. However, most of the reviews I've read say its really great!

PhatDave
I've really wanted to get a quiet, low flow filter for quite some time now. I'm waiting for my current filter to stop working though... (I think it will still last a good long while :shifty. Anyhoo, I've been researching filters and found on Amazon an Aqua Clear Power Filter that is supposed to be really quiet with good water flow for good filtration AND it's adjustable so you can control the water flow!

Of course, I've never actually owned this (supposedly AMAZING) filter myself, so it could be absolutely terrible. However, most of the reviews I've read say its really great!
I actually currently have this filter and it rattles! I read online that it's a common problem with the magnetic impellar that causes it to do this. It's still relatively quiet and I can only hear it at night when the house is silent (it's right next to my bed). I'm debating returning it and getting a new one to see how it is without the rattling. I'll let you know how it turns out!

JLeeM
I myself have 3 Aquaclear power filters. They are my all time favorite HOB filter. The only noise I get out of mine is a trickling water sound if I don't top my tanks off soon enough. I really love how easy they are to pack with media.

adh/smile
I actually currently have this filter and it rattles! I read online that it's a common problem with the magnetic impellar that causes it to do this. It's still relatively quiet and I can only hear it at night when the house is silent (it's right next to my bed). I'm debating returning it and getting a new one to see how it is without the rattling. I'll let you know how it turns out!
What? The supposedly awesome, SILENT filter makes NOISE? Unheard of! Preposterous! Inconceivable! How dare it wake you at night with it's rattles! Haha, yes, please share with me how it turns out!

The filter that is on my tank right now is a Tetra filter, and like JLeeM's filter, mine only makes water trickling noises if the water level goes down. I just wish it's flow was WAY softer. I tied some string to some clean art painting sponges and stuffed them in the "waterfall" and that helped a lot. Just every now and then the string rots and I have to retie the whole thing. That's why the adjustable flow feature on the Aqua Clear was appealing.

PhatDave
What? The supposedly awesome, SILENT filter makes NOISE? Unheard of! Preposterous! Inconceivable! How dare it wake you at night with it's rattles! Haha, yes, please share with me how it turns out!

The filter that is on my tank right now is a Tetra filter, and like JLeeM's filter, mine only makes water trickling noises if the water level goes down. I just wish it's flow was WAY softer. I tied some string to some clean art painting sponges and stuffed them in the "waterfall" and that helped a lot. Just every now and then the string rots and I have to retie the whole thing. That's why the adjustable flow feature on the Aqua Clear was appealing.
I highly recommend an adjustable flow if you have a betta. Ever since I switched the flow in my tank is noticeably lower and my betta is much happier in the calmer water.

CanadianFishFan
I just use sponge filters. I divide the tank but took it out so now I have two power 10 sponge filters on each side running. Perfect for bettas, no way to suck up fins and low flow.

bettabo1
Azoo mignon filter 60 is what I run.

georgelee1000
any hob, revise it and cut a plastic bottle to divert the flow to the back of your tank wall.

adh/smile
any hob, revise it and cut a plastic bottle to divert the flow to the back of your tank wall.
Some plastic bottle is a good idea. I like using the art sponges because it gives extra filtration media as well as slowing the flow. But it still agitates the surface water. I will try some plastic and see how it goes. Thanks!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
HorsesHamstersAndFish
Replies
Views
Amy Haas
  • Question
10 Gallon Tank Filter flow issue
Replies
Views