10 gallon long circulation

newbietetra

Hi,

if just using a box filter on one end of a 10 gallon Long tank (60 cm long).

Would the movement of 30 small fishes, like tetras and guppies, create enough circulation that i dont really need to add an airstone to the other end of the tank?

CrackerboxPalace

I would imagine so. As long as the box filter turns over at least ~50gallons an hour you should be ok.

30 of any kind of fish seems like far too much for a 10 gallon though.

Ouse

I’m not sure how the movement of fish would oxygenate water. As long as the filter output is situated at the water’s surface and is creating waves, an airstone isn’t necessary in the tank.

And yes, thirty fish is far too much for that tank size to handle.

newbietetra

The fishes all seem to be fine. Some are small and juvenile, like 10 neon tetras and 4 baby guppies. Maybe when they grow bigger, it will be problem. But So far so good. I do replace the floss filter every third day. And remove the poop everyday (bare botton tank). And there are lots of plants.

Ouse

Maybe when they grow bigger, it will be problem.
Scratch the “maybe.” I hate to say it, but that amount of fish will overwhelm this tank, likely sooner than you think.
I do replace the floss filter every third day. And remove the poop everyday (bare botton tank). And have lots of plants.
The tank is clearly overstocked already. If it weren’t, you wouldn’t have to change the filter floss or vacuum so often. In tanks with (good) substrate, vacuuming isn’t necessary at all.

Here’s some advice: don’t wait for fish to outgrow their tanks. They’ll outgrow small environments much faster than expected, meaning it’ll be too late when the owner realises it’s time to react.

Another concern: the tank is bare bottom; has it got anything in it? Anywhere for the fish to explore and hide amongst?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Coradee
Replies
Views
75g Discus Tank
Replies
Views
ikolbyi
  • Question
Replies
Views
Sanderguy777
Replies
Views
JeremyW

Random Great Thread!

Know of a great thread on Fishlore that should be on this list? Submit the thread link here:
Great threads on Fishlore

New Aquarium Equipment Threads

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom