10 gallon kit includes filter - Should I get a bio-wheel filter instead?

eepruls
Hi,

I want to buy a tank and was looking at a 10 gallon kit at Wal-Mart for $44. It comes with a filter - one of those ones with the charcoal in the plastic cartridge that you insert. I had one of those many years back.

Since I'm starting from scratch, would it be better to buy a separate tank and a bio-wheel filter? I know they hold the good bacteria better and are easier to maintain (I think). Is it better to buy a quality filter separately or are the kits okay for filtration? I find it difficult to find just tanks but the kits are priced quite nicely considering everything you'd have to buy.

Your advice is appreciated!

tkfury
I used the filters that came with the tanks for awhile but I went ahead and got new filters for everything while I was at it. I personally think its best if you could get a differant filter that would allow you to custimize your media the way you want it. (If you look around the board you'll see charcoal isn't exactly a media of choice.)

COBettaCouple
We buy this and cut it to fit the filters:

It's good stuff and you can use it a long time.

Angela_96
honestly I would get the kit and then get a filter later that you like... the filters that come with it are okay... I am still using mine that came w/ my 10 gallon kit (of coarse I only have guppies in that tank right now)... If I ever put anything else I will change to a biowheel... in fact I am looking at a biowheel for a second filter for my 55 gallon tank to my Ehiem.... and going to replace all the filters on my smaller tanks also w/ biowheels if I like it...

Angela_96
BTW Foster and Smith have the 20 gallon bio wheels pretty cheap right now so it would be a good deal to get the kit and then get the bio wheel too... the kit does have a good hood, and I do like my tank from walmart

eepruls
Thanks for the advice! I actually bought one of those kits many years ago and after doing things completely wrong, I packaged it up for a garage sale. I thought I had given it away or something. That's why I was considering buying a new one.

Anyways, I found everything I had years ago (including the charcoal filter). So I don't need to buy a new kit anymore. I think I'm going to get a bio-wheel filter and go from there. Having found the tank, pump, heater, etc. will save me money to get a better filter! I have taken the time this go around to learn how to do things properly.

eepruls
I landed up getting an AquaClear 20 as I've read on this forum it's very good. It's got the bio things for good bacteria. It's really quiet (my light makes more noise). The bio-wheel filters at Petland were like $100+. I don't have that kind of money!

Angela_96
Wow, petland really overcharges! foster and smith has a sale going on there filters right now that even beats our lfs and that is where I am buying my biowheel filter system.....

COBettaCouple
Yea, that's crazy pricing there at petland.

Phishies Inn
Good choice, I have that Aquaclear filter for my 10 gallon It is virtually silent, unless you let your aquarium water evaporate over the week (between water changes), then you hear the waterfall more. I almost never hear the filter itself though Plus it's a breeze to clean. I just rinse out the sponge every week and replace the carbon when needed.

eepruls
I am very impressed with it so far. I don't mind if the water drops and you hear more of the waterfall. It's soothing! Better to hear a waterfall than a loud motor! I really like it though. Nice design, easy to open and clean, and quiet. I think it will do the trick.

susitna-flower
What fish are you planning to get? It is so nice to find people willing to wait it out and cycle their tank before buying fish. Good Luck

eepruls
Well, I have a male betta in a goldfish bowl. I put him in there Dec. 2006 and he's still swimming around looking good after over a year. The bowl is off in the corner and he doesn't have much room to move around. Plus, there's no heater in the bowl and the water gets pretty cold (I live in Winnipeg and it's -35C out right now!) It's not the nicest way to show people a fish in my opinion. I like things a bit more natural.

Since I already had a 10 Gallon tank, I was going to move him to a new upscale home with live plants and take up the hobby. I'm setting up the tank and cycling it first before I move him over. I guess I could leave him in the bowl and get different fish for the tank but that almost seems cruel to let him swim in circles watching other fish living the life of luxury! LOL. So I think I'll move him over and then down the road when he dies I'll put in some other fish because I'm leery about adding other fish with a male betta!

COBettaCouple
It will be great for him to have a 10 gallon to himself. They really love room to swim, plants and a place of their own so that sounds perfect for him.

eepruls
That's what I thought too. Plus, since the tank is in the kitchen, he can actually be seen! He totally needs somewhere to hide and peek out. He's got nowhere to go in the bowl. I'm sort of claustrophobic myself so I feel for him! LOL

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Kabar
Replies
Views
sfsamm
Replies
Views
cichlidmac
Replies
Views