10 gallon ideas????

Bettafish1

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have an empty 10 gallon laying around that I want to get fish for. Any ideas? I only have access to Petco and PetSmart.
Here's a few things so you don't have to ask
*It going to be fully cycled
*It's going to have a 10 gallon filter (the kind that comes in kits)
*It will have an adjustable heater
*I have sand, and gravel that's good for plants
*I don't have a lot of experience so hardy and beginner fish are preferred
Thanks!

Bettafish1

Valued Member
Reaction score
You are limited with petco and with a 10g.

Options:

1 betta
Or
3 guppies
Or
1 pea puffer
Or
2 dwarf frogs

Unfortunately most schoolers need a 20g because of their activity level.

Platies and mollies have too high a bioload and mollies get too big.
Thx! I will look at maybe another betta. That will be pretty easy to maintain. And they are beautiful and interesting.

Bettafish1

Valued Member
Reaction score
I was looking up lists (to see everything because sometimes Petco and PetSmart get different fish in) and neon tetras kept coming up. I know that they are at my local PetSmart since I've seen them there. Are they too active?

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
With neons theres always a discusion an minimum tank size. Some say 10 others 20.

Bettafish1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Dear @Bettafish1 ,

10x Ember Tetras or Green Neon Tetras or Chili Rasboras,

Together with;

10-20x NeoCaridina Shrimp (only one single chosen color),

Would work wonderfully in a 10 gallon tank !

Happy Fish Keeping :)
Are green neon tetras at Petco and PetSmart? I've only seen neons and black neons.

Are green neon tetras at Petco and PetSmart? I've only seen neons and black neons.
Sry for double posting but I just googled them and they are ADORABLE I'm going to *have* to get them. And I've always loved neocaridina shrimp so I'm definitely going to get those. I know they are at my lfs.

KeeperOfASilentWorld

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Happy to hear that.

Buy them from here:
https://www.liveaquaria.com/category/830/freshwater-fish

You will always get better health and disease free fish when compared to Petco, Petsmart ect. !

Edit: Just saw that they also don't have Green Neon's in stock. You are gonna have to get them through another online supplier. I recommend starting a thread on the subject of online suppliers that are reliable, sell disease free fish and have Green Neon's in stock.

Bettafish1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Happy to hear that.

Buy them from here:
https://www.liveaquaria.com/category/830/freshwater-fish

You will always get better health and disease free fish when compared to Petco, Petsmart ect. !

Edit: Just saw that they also don't have Green Neon's in stock. You are gonna have to get them through another online supplier. I recommend starting a thread on the subject of online suppliers that are reliable, sell disease free fish and have Green Neon's in stock.
Ok thanks!

Joshaeus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I'd recommend looking online for fish for your 10 gallon, as not many pet store fishes will unambiguously do well in a 10 gallon long term...even ebay has a variety of live fish for sale at any given time, many of which are sold from sellers with good (99% or higher) feedback. If you are willing to look online, your options expand greatly.

Some potential options that are reasonably hardy include;
- Many killifishes (such as fundulopanchax gardneri). Avoid gigantic species like the blue gularis, Fundulopanchax sjoestedti.
- Splendens complex wild bettas (Betta mahachaiensis in particular has no issue with hard water). Most other wild bettas appreciate (or outright need) soft water.
- Heterandria formosa (a tiny livebearing fish...a 10 gallon is easily big enough for a colony of these things! Very prolific, expect to eventually have to rehome fry regularly)
- Endlers, Girardinus sp (again, expect lots of fry...which will need to regularly be thinned out. Not quite as ideal as the 'hets').

There are probably others I cannot recall at the moment...don't hesitate to do research :)

Bettafish1

Valued Member
Reaction score
I'd recommend looking online for fish for your 10 gallon, as not many pet store fishes will unambiguously do well in a 10 gallon long term...even ebay has a variety of live fish for sale at any given time, many of which are sold from sellers with good (99% or higher) feedback. If you are willing to look online, your options expand greatly.

Some potential options that are reasonably hardy include;
- Many killifishes (such as fundulopanchax gardneri). Avoid gigantic species like the blue gularis, Fundulopanchax sjoestedti.
- Splendens complex wild bettas (Betta mahachaiensis in particular has no issue with hard water). Most other wild bettas appreciate (or outright need) soft water.
- Heterandria formosa (a tiny livebearing fish...a 10 gallon is easily big enough for a colony of these things! Very prolific, expect to eventually have to rehome fry regularly)
- Endlers, Girardinus sp (again, expect lots of fry...which will need to regularly be thinned out. Not quite as ideal as the 'hets').

There are probably others I cannot recall at the moment...don't hesitate to do research :)
Ok thanks!

Joshaeus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
No prob...this is what forums are for, after all :) to exchange information.

Another tip...if you are interested in a fish you find online, try to contact the seller to ask a few basic questions about the fish - what they are eating, preferred water conditions, what fish they will cohabit with (with that being said, a 10 gallon is best used as a species tank due to its modest size), and so on. This will give you a better chance of success with the fish you choose.

Bettafish1

Valued Member
Reaction score
No prob...this is what forums are for, after all :) to exchange information.

Another tip...if you are interested in a fish you find online, try to contact the seller to ask a few basic questions about the fish - what they are eating, preferred water conditions, what fish they will cohabit with (with that being said, a 10 gallon is best used as a species tank due to its modest size), and so on. This will give you a better chance of success with the fish you choose.
Thanks! Will do

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom