10 Gallon Ideas?

1. AtomicMudkip

AtomicMudkip Valued Member Member

Hello all,
    Currently I have 3 mollies in a 10 gallon (DON'T RAGE I HAVE PLANS FOR THEM) but it looks a little bare at the moment. No, I'm not skint, but I have been spending a little too much lately and I need to cut back on spending, so I don't have the biggest budget (£20 max, although my parents buy the fish so they won't add any extra cost to me at least) I have very little idea as to what to do with this tank. It has 2-3mm gravel, which is reasonably thin, 2 LED very bright light bars (not sure specs) and a decent filter and heater. Any ideas for setup and stocking? It has an overkill filter (600lph) and a 50 heater. All ideas welcome
    ~Mudkipz[​IMG]

2. clk89

clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

Well until the mollies are not in the ten gallon I wouldn't add anything else to the tank.

When the mollies are out of the ten gallon you have a few options such as one betta fish, a couple pea puffers, least killfish, a shrimp colony, a snail colony, asian stone catfish, celestrial pearl danio, badis, sparkling gourami, or pencil fish.

You could go out of the fish territory and do something like african dwarf frogs too.

3. maggie thecat

maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

I love my frogs. I've even managed to get a cherry shrimp colony (using 2nd best shrimp, because they will eat the adults as well as shrimplets.) I'd vote to go that direction. You could do up to six in a 10 gallon, which was the stocking recommendation my research came up with, although a few of the keepers here are more conservative.

4. A

Alphonsus Well Known Member Member

Do a split tank and get 2 beautiful bettas

5. sunshine2012

sunshine2012 Valued Member Member

You could do a female beta sorority with shrimp and snails.

6. CROWNTAILBETTA

CROWNTAILBETTA Well Known Member Member

Isn't it a little on the small side for a sorority tank?

7. clk89

clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

I wouldn't do a female betta sorority in anything less then a twenty gallon, and heavily planted at that.

8. maggie thecat

maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

It is. A very heavily planted 20 is the mininium for a sorority, and even then it has to be carefully managed.

9. CROWNTAILBETTA

ok good to know, that's what I had heard but I wasn't sure.:)

10. D

Danfish1 New Member Member

You could do some guppies with cories, or if you want to keep the mollie's you could put some platys with them and shrimp.

11. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

The tank is too small for corys and mollies.

If it were my tank, I would get celestial pearl danios or some other nano schooling fish. Or make it a heavily planted pea puffer tank. :)

12. CROWNTAILBETTA

13. A

I would go with nano fish, although those are hard to get so you would probably have to order online. You can do corys if you do pygmy corys and have a sanded bottom. A school of ember tetras would also be nice.

14. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Even the dwarf corys would need a 15g min.

15. A

Oh thank you can just do a school of ember tetras if you don't want to do guppies or bettas

16. OP
    OP
    AtomicMudkip

Thank you all for your replies, I think I am going to go with the split betta tank as shrimp are unavailable near me and celestial pearls are very expensive, even for my parents as they are £8 a piece in my LFS. What sort of aquascaping ideas can I do? Plants?
    ~Mudkipz

17. Pringlethesnail

Pringlethesnail Well Known Member Member

Anubias is the best beginner plant I think and the bettas like to rest on their leaves! Make sure to put something near the top for them to sleep in. My bettas both have a floating log and a sideways plant for sleeping. Not the best looking ever but they really love to sleep there so I make an exception. If you get fake plants make sure they say Betta on them. There won't be very many but the bettas can rip their tails on other kinds. The same with decorations. Everything has to be completely smooth. I made a mistake my first Betta and got him a pineapple house and he ripped his tail on it. They like low/no current so I baffle my filter on my 10gal tank because it's like 120gph. Idk how that transfers to liters lol. [​IMG]. [​IMG][​IMG]

And here's my 10 gal and 3 gal Betta aquascapes lol. The 10 is different now but not by much. The little driftwood is from petco and the big pieces is from the beach. The smooth round rocks are from the beach and the jagged ones are from my yard. [​IMG][​IMG]

18. A

Really nice! Pothos plants are really nice. My betta likes to rest or sleep on its roots.

19. OP
    OP
    AtomicMudkip

Hi guys, just to update you on the situation. The mollies have moved out into my 29 gallon community and I have decided to sell the 10 gallon as my past experiences with a betta well... wasn't exactly a cake walk and ended up with beautiful Galaxy dying from dropsy whilst every remedy and cure I tried failed. I'm going to use the money from selling the 10 gallon (£90~) to buy a plain 29 gallon tank for my room to house a single wild type axolotl. I will also have a lot left over to add some nice plants to it and some decor as well as spruce up my goldfish and community tank a bit. Thank you all for your suggestions and I will make a new thread once I have returned from my wondrous, exciting holiday in Devon. (Sarcasm intended) thanks again,
    ~Mudkipz

20. A

Nice to know what happened: sorry about your Galaxy