10 Gallon Holding Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Jerrod Grant Robker, Apr 10, 2018.

1. J

Jerrod Grant Robker New Member Member

Hey all,

I have some aftrican mbunas that are holding and I want to set up a holding tank. Is it possible to take part of the filter from my 135g tank and 10 gallons of my tank water and use them both in the 10g to have it already cycled, or is there more to it and I'm just dreaming? TIA

2. Lorekeeper

Lorekeeper Well Known Member Member

Taking water over from the 135G won't help any. The filter media will though.

3. OP
    OP
    J

So how long should I wait if I'm using old, cycled filter media in a 10g tank for it to be safe for holding females and fry (2 females at a time)

4. Lorekeeper

In theory, you could add fish immediately. Just have to make sure you take enough from the 135 to insta-cycle the 10, but not disrupt the cycle in the 135.

5. OP
    OP
    J

The response is very much appreciated. Thank you!

6. Snailwhisperer

Snailwhisperer Valued Member Member

I often read about taking filter media. Can you do this when the filter is one carbon filter cartridge? Does putting water into a new tank which has been vacuumed off cycled gravel help? Thanks

7. Lorekeeper

If it's a filter cartridge, then yes it would work. But you'd need more media to stay on the cycled tank. Getting some mulm (the crap from your gravel) and adding it the new tank can help as well, but usually it's more helpful to just take some substrate from the cycled tank.

8. Snailwhisperer

Snailwhisperer Valued Member Member

Do I cut it? How do I prevent it falling apart?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice