10 Gallon Freshwater Tank With Shrimp

DogsOfWars
Member
I have a 10 Gallon Tank that I pulled out of one of my storage buildings and was wondering how many shrimp that I can put in this tank total??. I am un sure which type of shrimp I want but I am doing the tank of course planted so would like the shrimps to have color of course to them. Any advice is appreciated. Thank You
 
JLAquatics
Member
DogsOfWars said:
Hello I have a 10 Gallon Tank that I pulled out of one of my storage buildings and was wondering how many shrimp that I can put in the tank total??. I am un sure which type of shrimp I want but I am doing the tank of course planted so would like the shrimps to have color of course Any advice is appreciated. Thank You
Will this tank be shrimp only or have other nano fish in there as well? Shrimp have very low bioloads on their own, you could probably easily have over 100 neocardinia in there if the tank is well filtered, maintained and densely planted with no fish.
 
  • Thread Starter
DogsOfWars
Member
JLAquatics said:
Will this tank be shrimp only or have other nano fish in there as well? Shrimp have very low bioloads on their own, you could probably easily have over 100 in there if the tank is well filtered, maintained and densely planted with no fish.
Yes will be aqua scape tank and I prefer shrimp only and maybe 1 snail of some kind. I have never really ever had shrimp so thought I would ask about them. Looks like I also have a spare preset heater that is rated 78 temp. Would this work are is that to hot for shrimp?? I also have spare Jungle Val, Java Moss for the tank and some other plants on hand and some sand and a filter rated for a 20 gallon tank and if this is to strong I can use a filter sponge instead if need be ect. Maybe I will try 10 yellow and 10 cherry and see how this goes, Maybe a few Ghost as well too. I hate seeing a tank empty with nothing in it, It drives me crazy lol
 
JLAquatics
Member
DogsOfWars said:
Yes will be a aqua scape tank and prefer shrimp only and maybe 1 snail.
I am doing something very similar to you right now actually. What I plan on doing is add 2 male and 4 female Cherries (or other Neocardinia Shrimp) once the tank stabilizes and let them multiply on their own. Provided with the right habitat breeding them is very easy and happens automatically. Since it is your first time owning shrimp I would stick to the hardier Neocardinia shrimp and avoid shrimp from the more temperamental Cardinia family until you have more experience. For a single snail, I will recommend a Nerite snail. They are excellent algae eaters, will not reproduce in freshwater, and they look great to boot!
 
Leeman75
Member
I'm just a little bit ahead of you in a similar journey having just completed the tank set up and purchasing shrimp a few weeks ago. I originally purchased 8 shrimp and have already seen at least 3 babies...though I think they may have hitched a ride in the bag unseen as they are already colored up fully and I can't imagine they would have done so after only a few weeks at most.

They are fantastic and I spent a lot of time in front of that tank! If you're doing neocardinas, I would start with 10 or less and from what I've heard, they will have your tank buzzing with shrimp before long.
 
JLAquatics
Member
Leeman75 said:
I'm just a little bit ahead of you in a similar journey having just completed the tank set up and purchasing shrimp a few weeks ago. I originally purchased 8 shrimp and have already seen at least 3 babies...though I think they may have hitched a ride in the bag unseen as they are already colored up fully and I can't imagine they would have done so after only a few weeks at most.

They are fantastic and I spent a lot of time in front of that tank! If you're doing neocardinas, I would start with 10 or less and from what I've heard, they will have your tank buzzing with shrimp before long.
You would be surprised. Some Cherry Shrimp babies I have had in the past had color very shortly after they were born. When I bought my first batch of 12 shrimp, I ended up with a single berried female and she had babies a week later in my 29 gallon setup and the shrimplets already had color within a week after that.
 
  • Thread Starter
DogsOfWars
Member
I set the tank up this evening with some already well established bio media, Another entire spare filter from another tank, I double up on most of my filters in my tanks so if I ever need media asap I always have some on hand. Tested the water a few hours later and it appears the 10 Gallon is already cycled, But I will wait a few days and test it again just to make sure. Should not take a 10 that long to be safe and cycled. For most shrimp what should the KH and GH be?? Just wondering since there will be a mix of them in this tank
 
JLAquatics
Member
DogsOfWars said:
I set the tank up this evening with some already well established bio media, Another spare filter from another tank. Tested the water a few hours later and it appears the 10 Gallon is already cycled, But I will wait a few days and test it again just to make sure. Should not take a 10 that long to be safe. For most shrimp what should the KH and GH be??
Definitely test the water daily for the next week or so to make sure it is completely safe to add shrimp. Add a small source of ammonia to ensure your tank is properly cycling before placing any livestock because shrimp are most vulnerable with the acclimation period, even more so than fish. It is also a good idea to wait some time for algae and biofilm to grow in the tank to ensure the new shrimp have things to graze on as well.

For Cherry Shrimp, I have mine at 6 GH and 13 KH and they reproduce like crazy. If anything, GH is the more important factor in shrimp keeping. Make sure it is 6 or higher as GH (Calcium, Magnesium) allow the shrimp to molt properly but not over 14. KH is the buffering capacity of the water, which a higher value prevents ph shifts. As long as this value is above a 4, you should be fine here.

Note: I measure GH/KH in degrees and not ppm. If you need the conversions let me know.
 
  • Thread Starter
DogsOfWars
Member
JLAquatics said:
Definitely test the water daily for the next week or so to make sure it is completely safe to add shrimp. Add a small source of ammonia to ensure your tank is properly cycling before placing any livestock because shrimp are most vulnerable with the acclimation period, even more so than fish. It is also a good idea to wait some time for algae and biofilm to grow in the tank to ensure the new shrimp have things to graze on as well. For Cherry Shrimp, I have mine at 6 GH and 13 KH and they reproduce like crazy. If anything, GH is the most important factor. Make sure it is 6 or higher as GH (Calcium, Magnesium) allow the shrimp to molt properly.
I have some ammonia on hand to add some drops to the tank if need be, I guess a little fish food would be okay to if need be. I have many tanks I run the KH 6 and the GH 12 OR 13. I do this because from my tap I only have 2 or 3, So I half to dose most times to keep my tanks stable.
 
JLAquatics
Member
DogsOfWars said:
I have some ammonia on hand to add some drops to the tank if need be. Okay I have many tanks I run the KH 6 and the GH 12 OR 13. I do this because from my tap I only have 2 or 3, So I half to dose most times to keep my tanks stable.
You should be good to go with Neocardinia Shrimp then with those water params, I'm so excited for you! Like I said above, don't assume the tank is completely cycled just by adding media. You got some liquid ammonia, so you should be good to test out to see if the tank cycles correctly over the next few weeks or so. You should show us some pictures once the tank is stocked, it sounds like it will be awesome. ;)
 
JettsPapa
Member
DogsOfWars said:
Yes will be aqua scape tank and I prefer shrimp only and maybe 1 snail of some kind. I have never really ever had shrimp so thought I would ask about them. Looks like I also have a spare preset heater that is rated 78 temp. Would this work are is that to hot for shrimp?? I also have spare Jungle Val, Java Moss for the tank and some other plants on hand and some sand and a filter rated for a 20 gallon tank and if this is to strong I can use a filter sponge instead if need be ect. Maybe I will try 10 yellow and 10 cherry and see how this goes, Maybe a few Ghost as well too. I hate seeing a tank empty with nothing in it, It drives me crazy lol
  • 78° isn't too hot for shrimp, but if the tank will be in your house you don't need a heater, assuming it doesn't get below freezing there since shrimp survive in a wide range of temperatures. Reproduction will be faster at higher temperatures, but they'll also die younger. It's my understanding that 72° is just about ideal.
  • As far as I know any live plants are fine for shrimp, but ones that are dense are ideal since they provide hiding places for juvenile shrimp and for mature shrimp when they first molt. Even if there aren't fish in the tank they'll feel more secure with hiding places.
  • A sponge filter is ideal, but you can use a HOB. If you do be sure to cover the intake to prevent juvenile shrimp from being sucked up into the filter.
  • There's nothing wrong with mixing colors, but keep in mind that you'll get more clear and/or brown shrimp by doing that. You will get some even with only one color, but it's accelerated when you mix them. The first generation or two will likely produce some interesting colors and patterns, but they'll revert to the wild types pretty soon.
  • I'd be cautious about mixing ghost shrimp with neocaridinas. I haven't kept them together, but I've seen results that they'll eat the juvenile cherries.
  • If you'll be patient, that tank will fill up with shrimp and you'll have plenty of activity to watch.
 
  • Thread Starter
DogsOfWars
Member
JettsPapa said:
  • 78° isn't too hot for shrimp, but if the tank will be in your house you don't need a heater, assuming it doesn't get below freezing there since shrimp survive in a wide range of temperatures. Reproduction will be faster at higher temperatures, but they'll also die younger. It's my understanding that 72° is just about ideal.
  • As far as I know any live plants are fine for shrimp, but ones that are dense are ideal since they provide hiding places for juvenile shrimp and for mature shrimp when they first molt. Even if there aren't fish in the tank they'll feel more secure with hiding places.
  • A sponge filter is ideal, but you can use a HOB. If you do be sure to cover the intake to prevent juvenile shrimp from being sucked up into the filter.
  • There's nothing wrong with mixing colors, but keep in mind that you'll get more clear and/or brown shrimp by doing that. You will get some even with only one color, but it's accelerated when you mix them. The first generation or two will likely produce some interesting colors and patterns, but they'll revert to the wild types pretty soon.
  • I'd be cautious about mixing ghost shrimp with neocaridinas. I haven't kept them together, but I've seen results that they'll eat the juvenile cherries.
  • If you'll be patient, that tank will fill up with shrimp and you'll have plenty of activity to watch.
A lot of information there, Thank You for taking the time to share it with me.
 
  • Thread Starter
DogsOfWars
Member
Used some seed from another tank that I have in the house, Looks like it wont be much longer for the cycle to be complete, Is moving a long pretty fast just for a 10 Gallon Tank. Dosed the ammonia to 4.0 ppm couple days ago and the ammonia has already dropped to 0.25 ppm looks like yellow in the picture but it is still green just hard to see it with the glare from my lights. Nitrites are 0.25 ppm as well. I am for sure gonna stock the tank with Cherry Shrimp when the tank is ready for them.
 
Leeman75
Member
Almost there!!
 
Magua
Member
Following along! So much good info in this thread.

Can’t wait to see pictures!
 
  • Thread Starter
DogsOfWars
Member
Tank hit 0 ammonia and nitrite this morning, So I added some more ammonia to 3.0 ppm lets see if it drops two zero on both these readings in the next 24 hrs. If so then will do a well deserved WC since of course the tank looks like **** has hit it by now in there, Funny how

that bacteria works in a tank but are fish rely on it to survive and for our tanks to stay healthy we all need it. Just look at that nasty Java Moss and that Jungle Val. This will be a low tech planted tank but I have a lot of things I plan on doing to it in the end once it is cycled,
 
  • Thread Starter
DogsOfWars
Member
Redosed the tank back to 3 ppm Ammonia yesterday when the ammonia and the nitrite both hit 0 and this morning when I woke up the tank has completed the cycling process. Did not take long !
 
  • Thread Starter
DogsOfWars
Member
If your wondering how I cycled the 10 Gallon Tank so quickly, Here are a few tips I would like to share with you all. I took the sponge filter from a AquaClear 50 filter that has been set up for several years in another tank and used the beneficial Bacteria from the sponge twice, I squeezed it out in the 10 Gallon Tank twice, Lots of bacteria there, Those AquaClear sponge filters hold a lot of bacteria and are great sponges. I also did a 20% WC, I did not remove the
biofilm on the inside of the tank, It needs to always stay. I just changed some water. I also set the heater at 80 and it set the bacteria off rather quickly. I also checked the water daily. Keep


in mind this will not always work like I have stated before sometimes cycling a tank can take several weeks other times it can be established rather quickly, Many factors decide this of course, Such as the tank size, The tanks temp, The tanks filter and so on, Results will vary for us all. I have a lot I am gonna do with the tank, Gonna have some Hornwort and Jungle Val for sure, Little disappointed with Aqueon they sent me a versa top and the glass was not cut correctly. Will be doing a lot when I have the time, I myself have been working a lot of over time and have been super busy.
 

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom