10 gallon for my dad

erinw347

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My dad is looking for something to do during quarantine so I was thinking about setting up a 10 gallon for him. Here’s the kind of stocking I was thinking about:
What are some other stocking options I could go with similar to this? Open to anything.

jkkgron2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
erinw347 said:
My dad is looking for something to do during quarantine so I was thinking about setting up a 10 gallon for him. Here’s the kind of stocking I was thinking about:
  • School of ember tetras
  • School of pygmy corys
  • Nerite snail
What are some other stocking options I could go with similar to this? Open to anything.
Possibly a trio of sparkling gouramis along with the Pygmy Corys and then one or two nerite snails?
For an exact stocking I would do
3x sparkling gouramis (one or no males tho)
6x Pygmy corys
1-2 nerite snails

CoryBoi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you end up doing Pygmy corries, you will need at least 10. They will just hide and not exhibit their true behaviors.

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'll second the suggestion for the shrimp tank, but the only drawback is that a tank should really be up and running for a couple of months before adding shrimp.

OP
erinw347

erinw347

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My dad has never kept fish before so i’m gonna hold off on the shrimp since they’re sensitive. I’m looking for hardier fish

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Have you considered a wild betta? They’re flashy and hardy and more tolerant of tank mates than most domesticated fish.

In one of my tens I’ve got:
1x Betta imbellis (max size 1.5”)
7x Neon Tetra (people may argue with you on this because of tank size and temperature compatibility but it does work)
?x ramshorns snails (mostly blues)
And if you wanted something like that but with bottom dwellers, I always though like 6x black “Kuhli” Loach would look cool (I don’t have sand in my tank tho), or maybe like 6-8x salt and pepper cory if you wanted corys

The downside is that it might be hard to find an imbellis within the country and you’d want to wait until after the quarantine to import

OP
erinw347

erinw347

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Dewclaw83 said:
Have you considered a wild betta? They’re flashy and hardy and more tolerant of tank mates than most domesticated fish.

In one of my tens I’ve got:
1x Betta imbellis (max size 1.5”)
7x Neon Tetra (people may argue with you on this because of tank size and temperature compatibility but it does work)
?x ramshorns snails (mostly blues)
And if you wanted something like that but with bottom dwellers, I always though like 6x black “Kuhli” Loach would look cool (I don’t have sand in my tank tho), or maybe like 6-8x salt and pepper cory if you wanted corys

The downside is that it might be hard to find an imbellis within the country and you’d want to wait until after the quarantine to import
Thanks for the suggestion, I’m not sure if i’m going to be able to get a wild betta but I could get a female and just add her last.

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
erinw347 said:
Thanks for the suggestion, I’m not sure if i’m going to be able to get a wild betta but I could get a female and just add her last.
A good option!
If you want to try to ensure you get a peaceful betta you can try holding up the females next to each other and see which ones react less in the store. It might give you a good idea of how she’ll react to other fish

New Threads