10 gallon Fishtank - 4 fish

SkrimJohn

Reaction score
Hello, I just started fishkeeping last week and I really enjoy it so far, but as I read more and more about fishkeeping I'm beginning to realise that I'm not doing it right. I bought a 10 gallon fish tank from my friend, without much research, I poured tap water and turned on a filter for 3 days, then I went to pet shop to get some fish! I told a lady that I'm a complete beginner, and asked her how many fish I can keep in my 10 gallon tank. She told me 5 max 6. I bought 4 of them, 3 comets and 1 black moor. It's been a couple days now, and I don't see any issues related to health of my fish but I'm worried that it might not last long. What should be my next steps? How many fish and which species I should keep in my tank? I need a guidance, please :(.91341948_812662502570508_2749051623769636864_n.png91139556_511231656208416_1813370084685512704_n.jpg

QCAquaholic

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
A 10 gallon isn't large enough for one goldfish much less 4. Goldfish are also very messy so they'd fill that tank up with ammonia pretty quickly. Hopefully you can take them back to the pet store.

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
BettaBender said:
A 10 gallon isn't large enough for one goldfish much less 4. Goldfish are also very messy so they'd fill that tank up with ammonia pretty quickly. Hopefully you can take them back to the pet store.
Yeah, have to agree, no goldfish in less than a 55 gallon tank and even then not more than 3 individuals. Comet tails I wouldn't even keep in less than a 100 gallon or a tank of less than 8 feet length.

Magicpenny75

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Please take them back right away. That was pretty awful of them to sell you four goldfish for a ten gallon tank....
First off... please read up on the Nitrogen Cycle.
Then, once your tank is cycled...you could have 5 or 6...guppies, or glolight tetras, or harlequin rasbora, or some other small fish like that.
Good luck! We are here if you need help, and thank you for wanting to do what is best for your fish. :)

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
As the others have said, those goldfish need to go back to the store. There are multiple youtube videos with suggestions for stocking a 10 gallon tank. You might want to check some of them for ideas.

CaptainAquatics

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I agree with above, read up in the nitrogen cycle, if you really want to keep these you will need a very large tank so I would agree that you should either take them back or give them to someone who has a pond or large tank.

Sunflower

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'd also like to add that you might want to invest in some water conditioner, as the chlorine in tap water can burn and kill fish pretty quickly. Unless you plan on doing water changes with aged water every time :)

LeadLungs74

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I can't add anything else because everyone nailed it. But I'll agree especially with magicpenny for wanting to do what's right for the fish. I love mine, they're part of the family. Good luck and I hope it all works out. Listen to these people, they know what they're doing and talking about...

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
That sales lady should be ashamed of herself. I am glad you questioned what she said and ended up here.
Should you choose to do a fish in cycle you may want to consider taking 3 of the fish back. Keep one as your ammonia source to get this tank cycled. Check with the store you got the fish from to see if they will take the fish back once your tank is cycled. They may very well do it if you end up buying the proper fish for this size tank from them once the cycle is complete.

Danny002

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thank you for reaching out for advice! I would definitely say that you should return or rehome the comets asap, as they can get very big. You should also do the same with the black moor unless you are willing to get a 20+ gallon tank for it and do a fish-in cycle (which I wouldn't recommend for a beginner to do).

Once all that is sorted out, look into one of the many ways that you can do a fishless cycle and start on that. I would recommend that you get a water conditioner (Seachem Prime is a favorite of many, and lasts a very long time) and a water test kit (API Freshwater Master Test kit is preferred as strips are not very accurate). It may be hard to get these right now with everything going on, so you can either let your tank sit for a while or try to get something going.

Here is a link to a post that lists a huge number of stocking options for 10 gallon tanks: Stocking List for 10 Gallons | Aquarium Stocking Questions 207629
As mentioned above, there are also numerous YouTube videos with 10 gallon stocking ideas, but as always, do your own research to determine what's best for you!

I would also recommend getting a few easy live plants such as anubias, java fern (don't plant these two in the substrate, tie them to something), java moss, or a number of other things. These will give your fish comfortable places to hide and explore, while also giving your tank more decoration and visual depth. I hope you get everything sorted out and thank you again for taking the initiative to reach out!

bmuckluck

Reaction score
I had one of those 25 cent feeder goldfish in a bowl when I was younger.. When I got my 20 gallon tank I felt bad for him so I added him to it. He grew to about 4 or 5 inches and lived 6 years. It worked because my tank was overfiltered and reasonably stocked (except for him of course.) But that was only one goldfish in double the amount of water.

New Threads