10 Gallon Fishless cycle question Question 

ExiledxAssassin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sorry for so many questions, but if i'm unsure I know to come here for help from people that actually know what they're doing

Alright well I took all my fish out of my 10 gallon for now and put them in my 30 gallon (which is also still in cycling stage) but i'm trying to get the 10 gallon cycled fully before putting anything back in there and then going to TRY to get all the fish out of the 30 gallon to finish cycling it after the 10 gallon is done.

I added ammonia and got it up to 4.0ppm yesterday (6/6) and it's still at 4.0ppm so far today.

1. Should I do water changes daily and then add more ammonia to get it back up to 4.0ppm after?

2. Do I have to put declorinator in the water for water changes since there are no fish in the tank or should it be fine with out any?

If you need any more information i'll be happy to give it to you

Thanks for ALL the help everyone! :;z

npandav011

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
1. You need to wait til the ammonia drops to around near 1.0 ppm and then add more ammonia. You do not need to do water changes daily since you have no fish in there.
2. You must dechlroinate the water with a conditioner. Otherwise the chlroine will kill the bacteria you are trying to grow.

Hope that helps

ExiledxAssassin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Alright, thanks for the help npandav011

yeah, I was thinking that about the BB but wasn't 100% sure, that's why I asked

Another quick question, How long (estimated) does it normally take for the ammonia to start lowering?

npandav011

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well it really depends, have you seeded the tank at all? Also increasing the temperature of the water really speeds things up. If you have a heater, put it up to around 84 to 86 degrees.

ExiledxAssassin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well I don't really have anything from my 30 gallon to seed the 10 with (I have sand for my 30 gallon) and the filter is to big for the 10. Heater-wise I can't turn the heater up any :\ it's one of those automatically set to 78. But the one in my 30 can turn up so I will switch them around for the time being.

npandav011

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yeah go ahead and do that. The heat will speed up the cycling, just be sure to turn it down once you add fish. Good luck! Haha I gave up on my fishless cycle on my 10 gallon, because it was taking way too long . I bought some TSS and I am still in the process of using that to cycle my tank!

pinksprklmonkey

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Go to your LFS and ask them for some gravel. Most give it for free but some will charge a minimal fee. It will help get the bacteria started growing. With my cycle I got nitrates within a week. However it took 6 weeks for mine to completely cycle. Good Luck!

ExiledxAssassin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well my 10 gallon had fish in there at one point but I decided to take them out and put them in my 30 gallon while I let the 10 gallon to finish doing its thing haha

I do have nitrates in the 10 gallon tank and nitrites. Right now (from my last testing) I had 4.0ppm ammonia - 4.0ppm + nitrites - 40ppm nitrates.

I also have been to the local LFS's and none of them will give up anything of theirs to use.

ExiledxAssassin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Another question about this (sorry everyone I know I ask a lot)

So do I have to do WC with fishless cycle at any point?

because I just did some tests and here they are... Ammonia: 2.0ppm (came down from 4.0 so far) - 4.0ppm+ nitrite - 80+ nitrates

For the nitrates, the color is not even on the color chart. It is about the color 'blood red'. which is higher than 80ppm but below 160ppm

The reason why I ask is because I know you're suppose to do WC when the nitrates get to about 20ppm.

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Don't feel bad about asking questions...it's the best way to learn!

There is no need for you to do a partial water change, since you are cycling fishless.

Sometimes when people get their ammonia too high and their cycles stalls because of it, it is recommended to do a partial water change to reduce the ammonia levels. Remember, ammonia is used as a cleaning product becuase it will kill bacteria. So if the ammonia level is too high (say abouve 8ppm) it could stall the cycle.

You are just going to want to do a large water change in order to get nitrates below 20ppm just before you add fish.

ExiledxAssassin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Alright thanks much jdhef!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads