10 Gallon Fish in cycle

Angelfish2016
New to this whole thing and after reading have realize I’m in over my head. So to what stats I’m showing. For the past 6 days my ammonia has gone from 2ppm then to 1 ppm with changing water everyday (50%) nitrites and nitrates are still showing 0. PH has been a constant 7.0-7.2. I’m treating with Prime and stability. We have 3 danios in the tank they are acting fine and are feeding every other day. Anything else I need to be doing to help lower ammonia? Is doing water changes every day going to hurt the tank cycle any slower?

StinkyLoaf
Welcome to Fishlore! :)

When fish-in cycling I would only do a water change when ammonia and nitrite combine to reach 1ppm (for example 1ppm of ammonia and 0ppm of nitrite, or 0.5ppm of ammonia and 0.5ppm of nitrite etc). This way you keep some ammonia in there to allow the nitrosomonas bacteria colony to grow. Eventually you’ll see that ammonia has reached 0ppm and this is good.

Nitrite will appear soon; cycling can take weeks. You seem to be on the right track.

Angelfish2016
So if it’s 1ppm of ammonia after I did a water change do I need to go change it again? Or should I wait for tomorrow?

StinkyLoaf
Waiting until tomorrow would cause it to rise, so you want to do another water change now to lower it below 1ppm. Aim for between 0.25ppm and 0.5ppm of ammonia for this stage of the cycle. :)

Angelfish2016
Thank you for the help!

Angelfish2016
Changed the water again. And somehow after I tested an hour later I’m still getting 1ppm ammonia. I’m assuming that can’t be normal?

Dunk2
Angelfish2016 said:
Changed the water again. And somehow after I tested an hour later I’m still getting 1ppm ammonia. I’m assuming that can’t be normal?
Sorry for jumping in, but have you tested your tap water for ammonia? What are you using to test?

Angelfish2016
Using the master API test kit. Think my tap water is my issue. It’s reads 2ppm ammonia. What can I do about this?

Pfrozen
Angelfish2016 said:
Using the master API test kit. Think my tap water is my issue. It’s reads 2ppm ammonia. What can I do about this?
I buy RO water from Culligan and remineralize it... for a 10g this would be very cheap. Alternatively you could cut it with distilled water down to a reasonable level but then your water might be too soft

Angelfish2016
Would spring water work? How would I go about remineralizing the water if I go with RO water

Pfrozen
Angelfish2016 said:
Would spring water work? How would I go about remineralizing the water if I go with RO water
spring water would work provided you can find one with the right parameters and have consistent access to the same brand on a weekly basis

there are lots of products for remineralizing RO.. I went with ReGen and ReKharb from Nilocg because I like the liquid and I'm lazy and the dosing is easy

Top Bottom