10 gallon finally CYCLED! Question 

ExiledxAssassin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Alright well my 10 Gallon finally finished cycling 0/0/5.0, that big 75% wc must've kicked it in gear Thanks for the tips for telling me about the wc.

Now since it is cycled now, is it okay to put fish in there? I'm gonna swap out 3 of my guppies from my [uncycled] 30 gallon in to there and then a week later add 3 more.

Now I know the rule of fish per gallon and I know my 10 gallon will be overstocked for awhile after I get them all in there, but they will only be in there until I get my 30 gallon cycled first.

But it is safe to add 3 in to the 10 gallon right?

jwokmuba2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
if those are your current test readings I would say its safe

catsma_97504

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
I agree. Go ahead and add the 3, but continue to check the water parameters just to be safe.

alexizhere23

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
As said above, The key is to add a few fish, and then check and recheck your readings to see how the tank reacts. If after a week the readings are fine, add a few more, Continue this pattern until you reach your stocked level, constantly checking the water.

alex

ExiledxAssassin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Alright, was just making sure by more people on here but I will still be doing readings on it daily to make sure. They seem to lovee it more in there than the (uncycled) 30 gallon..

Now I can't wait til I get all the rest in there to start cycling the 30, which I will be moving it (30 gallon) to another room.

Another question though, since my 10 gallon is finally cycled, could I use the filter media that's in there in my 30 gallon to help speed that one up? or should I not do that? if not then I could just get some of the gravel out of it to put in there too [or both if possible].

catsma_97504

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
You do not want to remove all of your filter media. You could double up on the media for 1-2 weeks and then transfer the extra to finish your 30 gallon cycle. Or you could cut your filter media in half, but keep a watchful eye on your 10 gallon to ensure losing half its media doesn't cause it to lose it cycle.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads