10 Gallon Dwarf Puffer Tank Question

Gourami123

Reaction score
I want to set up my 10 gallon tank as a DP tank. I have decided to just get one but I want to keep it with otos. I have read mixed things about keeping them together. Can I have otos with my DP? If I can, how many should I have?

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Gourami123 said:
How aggresive would 3 pea puffers be in a 10 gal?
Depends on how planted it is.

Pea puffers are a bit harder to keep though. They won't eat prepared foods like flakes or pellets. You will need to feed them frozen and live foods. You will also need to have a snail colony for them.

BobNJerry

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i have looked into pea puffers and 3 would do well in a very heavily planted tank and i think oto's would be ok to because they move fast and are unassuming.

Here is where i decided i was no go on pea puffers- meal time- they are very picky eaters and mostly eat live snails - and i wasn't up for that.

If you want a cute little active fish for a nano tank .. look into hasbrosus cory's- cutest little things ever and you could easily do 5 in a 10 gallon.

Mazeus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
BobNJerry said:
i have looked into pea puffers and 3 would do well in a very heavily planted tank and i think oto's would be ok to because they move fast and are unassuming.

Here is where i decided i was no go on pea puffers- meal time- they are very picky eaters and mostly eat live snails - and i wasn't up for that.

If you want a cute little active fish for a nano tank .. look into hasbrosus cory's- cutest little things ever and you could easily do 5 in a 10 gallon.
The problem is that otos need a bigger tank that a 10g (20g is really the minimum), hasbrosus cories need a 15g ideally.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Otos wouldn't be okay, especially with pea puffers, because they need groups of six and are wild caught with cyanide. Also, since they're wild caught they often downtown recognize anything other than algae as food, at least for a few weeks. This is a major issue because in that time the bacteria in their guy that helps them digest the algae can die off and they will slowly starve to death. Often the bacteria is starved off during transport as well, so most don't make it. A 10 is too small for a school and likely won't have enough algae for them.
I've been told that technically a snail colony isn't required as this is one of the few puffers that do not grow their beaks, so they don't have to be kept down. I believe live bloodworms are a favorite though.

bubblaroo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I think a 10G is too small to keep Otos and pea puffers together comfortably. Otos need groups of at least 4 to feel safe and social, and alongside 3 puffers (who are quite aggressive fish) that makes it a bit crowded in a 10G.
A 15G is a different story - I currently have 4 pea puffers and 5 Otos in a 15 gallon tank who seem to do well together. But I also got lucky with my gender ratio - 1 male to 3 females. The females are quite pacific and the male only really harasses the female puffers, ignoring the Otos.

BobNJerry

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Rtessy said:
Otos wouldn't be okay, especially with pea puffers, because they need groups of six and are wild caught with cyanide.
There are varying species and not all are wild caught. Many are tank raised. Many more are tank raised than wild caught.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
BobNJerry said:
There are varying species and not all are wild caught. Many are tank raised. Many more are tank raised than wild caught.
That is awesome to hear, but every single Petco/PetSmart, and LFS near me only sells wild caught, and I hate to say it, but as of 2015 over 97% sold were wild caught, and the dynamic just doesn't change that fast.... the vast majority sold today are still wild caught.
Edit: I do not at all mean to sound rude or unbelieving, I would absolutely love for most of them to be tank raised, but I can't find a single source that says less than 90% are wild caught.

bgclarke

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The two pea puffers I recently purchased (both have since died) were wild caught.

As has been mentioned, they only like live food (I fed bladder snails and later MTS) and frozen bloodworm.

WanhiBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have two in a 10g and three would would also work. but I wouldn't add anything else because they're really aggressive.

Not all pea puffers are so picky and only eat live food. Mine will eat whatever frozen food I give them, even pea.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom