10 Gallon Dwarf Puffer Home

1. WolfaraRose Member Member

Hello Again!

So lets get straight down to business.

Aquarium is 10 gallons. Was thinking of getting 3 dwarf puffers (1m 2f)

Heavily planted with a lot of plants that are native to where they are.

Filter.....Was thinking about a 20i Tetra Whisper Filter

Heater... One that is a grade higher then what is recommended (saves on power) Thinking Marineland since I've had good luck with them.

White Gravel so far as substrate goes as well.

So what do you think? Suggestions?

2. WolfaraRose Member Member

Bump!

3. shayla1 Well Known Member Member

10 gallons may be a ok or may be too tight. If the puffers are nearly full grown, you should easily tell the sex because males have a darker line down their belly and the "wrinkles" beside their eyes. If these are juvenile, like my pet store sells, you may end up with 2 or even 3 males which can lead to a rough time for all.

That said, I do have 4 dwarfs in a 15 g tank. I had a mature male who had been quite aggressive to the tank mate he had in the 8 g tank. I had tried to get a male and female when they were small, about half an inch or a bit smaller, and ended up with a dominant and submissive male. Winston chased Marley constantly and all my attempts to provide plenty of hiding places, plants to break up the line of sight and changing the tank around to help Marley didn't work. :( I eventually moved Winston into the 15g tank alone.. this is a columnar tank and my puffers seem very happy in there. After about 4 months, I added 3 very small puffers, about 1/4" long each. Winston being the dominant male is no longer constantly chasing the babies. He now comes out to feed with them, they swim together, he taught them the joys of attacking snails and they all seem happy.

Some of the things I have read was that baby puffers living in the territory of a dominant male will generally become female.. I'm not sure how true this is, but none of the new babies seem to be developing male characteristics, so maybe it is true.

For your tank, the white gravel sounds nice. I use black Eco complete. Do plan on lots of plants to help break up sight lines. Give hiding areas, make sure you have access to live foods or plan to grow some live foods of your own. Make sure the tank is well and fully cycled. Puffers are sensitive to changing parameters and will appreciate a tank that is already cycled. Also, be sure to read up as much as you possibly can.

Aside from this fabulous forum, I did a search and looked for other information, also.

4. WolfaraRose Member Member

Many thanks @shayla1 !!! Will def. be using plenty of hiding places and lotsa plants! This tank is going to be in my kitchen so it def. needs to be pretty (ie plants lol) I think that I can find a def. male and 2 females, probably through online, but if not I think my LFS had adults that I can look at as well!

I do appreciate the input!