10 gallon dwarf crayfish tank

1. superbutterfly12 Well Known Member Member

So I have determined my dwarf crayfish aren't going to go in my 36 gallon community tank and are getting their own tank. Thinking lightly planted with low light plants and a few of those pipe decors or cichlid caves for territories for the crays.

I'd also like to put some fish in there on my someday list lol. What do you guys think of this stocking?

3 orange dwarf crayfish
    3 dwarf coral sunset platies
    1 powder blue dwarf gourami
    And a nerite or two?

Aqadvisor puts this at like 95% stocked with only warning me my crayfish are dangerous and the 2 to 1 female to male ratio for platies.

Any thoughts on this? I've never kept either fish but i understand they are mostly top and middle swimmers from my research and vieeing them at lfs.

And this motivated me to clean up my cookbook collection...now there's space for two 10 gallons side by side on my kitchen counter! Yay! I have extra black sand and gravel and just ordered caves and a black background for it. These little guys are going to really pop in there!

2. superbutterfly12 Well Known Member Member

Well the biggest of the three passed away this morning so that drops my stock level a little. They've got about 4 weeks left of quarantine so early July I can set up their tank. I've got a small filter running in my main tank so it should be instantly cycled for them.

3. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

The stocking is fine besides the dwarf gourami, which I would not keep in a 10g. 15g min for them.

4. superbutterfly12 Well Known Member Member

Would a honey gourami work? Looking for a centerpiece fish that stays towards the top more than the bottom.

5. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

No, those would also need a 15g imo.

You already have 3 platies, why do you need a centerpiece? Imo, it's pushing it a bit.

6. superbutterfly12 Well Known Member Member

Well plan changed. Having to downsize the office betta tank so one of them is in the ten gallon tank. Think I'll put in a tank divider and put crayfish on one side betta on the other. Maybe a few endlers on the crayfish side?

Dwarf platies probably too big for a 5 or 6 gallon space right?

7. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Yeah, too big. What do you mean by dwarf platy?

8. superbutterfly12 Well Known Member Member

My lfs carries mini platies. Adult size is an inch to nust over an inch look about half the size of the regular ones. Labeled sunset coral dwarfs.

9. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Oh, well those would just be baby ones not 'dwarfs' technically.

10. superbutterfly12 Well Known Member Member

Maybe I'll try those platies out in the 36 gallon, they are really cute! But the endlers are already in with the hunting crayfish and seem to be able to avoid getting eaten. And they are super tiny so a few should be ok to make that half more lively.

11. superbutterfly12 Well Known Member Member

Plan changed again! No more work tank so all four tanks are at home. (Quit my job.) So divided betta tank is an option again. Currently looking at putting 5 endlers, 2 dwarf crayfish, 2 rabbit snails and 4 nerites in the 10 gallon. Going to try my more peaceful betta as a centerpiece fish. If he doesn't work out there back to the 5.5 gallon divided tank. If he does I can let the other betta have the 5.5 all to himself! I've got a stunning red tiger lotus in the tank I think they will love climbing on and a random sprinkle of rcs in there too.