10 Gallon drilling reinforcement question

SotaAquatics

I am going to be drilling a new rack of 10 gallons soon. I had a thought of cutting out some 5x5 or so pieces of 1/8 to 1/4 inch glass, and siliconeing it to the tank. the hole and bulkhead will then be drilled/installed through the middle of this reinforced section.

My concern is not cracking tanks while I drill them, my concern is to help alleviate any stress fractures from plumbing being attached to the back. I am thinking that a reinforced section around the bulkhead will help distribute any possible forces that might bump the plumbing or even just the general weight of it. I am willing to silicone a piece of glass across the entire back of each tank as well if anyone things this would be a good idea or worth it.

BigManAquatics

How big is the piping you are wanting to install? I would think doing either one should be enough.

SotaAquatics

I am planning on 3/4 inch bulkheads, the idea is this will basically just be a drain at the back of the tank behind a matten filter. I will be able to just pour in a fresh 1-2 gallons in the front of the tank, 1-2 gallons drain out the back.

It will be flexible tubing from the bulkhead to the drain pipes so shouldn't be too heavy or ridged. I just know I am very prone to bumping into things and would prefer to avoid cracking the 10s as best as I can. I will do some experiments.

Perhaps I could get away with almost doing a little sandwich of 1/8 inch on each side as well and keep the reinforcement glass pieces a bit smaller. Ugliness is not a factor as it will be hidden behind the matten.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Coradee
Replies
Views
NavyChief20
Replies
Views
harleygrooo
Replies
Views