10 Gallon Cycle Questions

Smiley0515

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok so I'm new to fish tanks but did as much research as possible. I decided to do a fish in cycle with my new 10 gallon. I made the decision to do this with 3 cherry barbs. It's been 3 weeks of feeding them small amounts daily, doing 10 to 20% water changes and testing the water every other day or so. My PH stays pretty consistent at 7.4ish. Ammonia just recently seems to be up around .25 ppm, 0 nitrites and 0 nitrates. I know cycling can take some time and I've been patient and trying to do it by the book. I haven't changed the filter cartridge even though the red light is flashing. My question is, can i add Tetra Safe Start to help boost the bacteria growth? My little guys seem completely fine and very happy actually, but now that the ammonia is finally starting to go up I want to help the cycle along a bit. I haven't done a water change since yesterday morning so I think if I was going go to add it, now would be good since the water hasnt been conditioned in 24 hours. Thoughts?

Skavatar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
yes, add it now.

you can get a small bucket of the tank water and gently rinse out the filter cartridge. there's probably a lot of gunk in there. and if it has carbon in it, after about 6 weeks you'll need to cut it open and get rid of the carbon.

depending on what filter you have, you can mod/add extra bio media in there.

Smiley0515

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Skavatar said:
yes, add it now.
Simple response which is great! Since Im new to this I was half expecting someone to tell me I was doing it all wrong Haha! Thank you!

Ohio Mark

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I just want to add a welcome to FishLore.

Smiley0515

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Skavatar said:
you can get a small bucket of the tank water and gently rinse out the filter cartridge. there's probably a lot of gunk in there. and if it has carbon in it, after about 6 weeks you'll need to cut it open and get rid of the carbon.

depending on what filter you have, you can mod/add extra bio media in there.

Its an Aqueon Quietflow 10 so i believe the filter does have carbon in it. I have heard that the carbon just stops working after a period of time and there really is no need to remove it but it seems that's not actually the case. Ill take a look at the links you submitted to see about adding some bio-media to the filter. Right now, there is the regular filter pad and a little ammonia sponge that came with it. Those are currently the only things in the filter. Any media that I add needs to come after the filter correct? The only space i have is the reservoir before the filter.

Ohio Mark said:
I just want to add a welcome to FishLore.
Thanks Mark! I'm so happy i found a forum with nice people to answer questions. I'm really enjoying this process and eventually want to get a bigger tank but i absolutely don't want to harm any fish in the process.

ETNsilverstar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I second adding it now. I did it with my 10 gallon, though I was having a hard time getting ammonia below 1 ppm even with daily water changes. I had no ammonia after 3 days. Just make sure to use the whole bottle!

Ohio Mark

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Smiley0515 said:
Thanks Mark! I'm so happy i found a forum with nice people to answer questions. I'm really enjoying this process and eventually want to get a bigger tank but i absolutely don't want to harm any fish in the process.
You're in a good place --- lots of nice people on here who can give you good advice. I respect your attitude about wanting what's best for your fish.

Smiley0515

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Eventually (post cycle) I wanted to add a couple of gold barbs or get one centerpiece fish such as a Gourami... I've heard Bettas would actually be okay too but I'm hesitant since I don't want anyone being stressed out. Any suggestions on a nice centerpiece fish that's a little bit larger than the barbs which would be appropriate for the 10 gallon?

Ohio Mark

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
There is supposed to be a 10-gallon stocking list on here, but I've been unable to find it...

Coradee Lucy ???? Can you help?

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

Smiley0515

Reaction score
Experience
Just started

Skavatar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
that reservoir can hold poly fill or quilt batting for mechanical filtration. then where the cartridge is, you can put ceramic bio media. then in the water fall part a small piece of sponge.

if you do this, cut the filter material off the cartridge frame and keep it as seeding material when you add the new bio media.

the carbon will absorb chemicals for 6 weeks, and after it is full, it will release those chemicals/toxins back into the water, that's why it must be removed after 6 weeks.

Smiley0515

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok so it's been I think 5 days since I added the safestart plus. I'm not showing any nitrites but I do have 5 ppm of nitrates and an Ammonia level of 1ppm which is the highest I've ever seen it. I know I'm testing too soon but i was curious. Lol. Seems like the cycle is on its way and should complete soon! I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to have a small Ammonia spike during the process. So... Now to my question.
The video linked above... Can I do this at any point without messing up the cycle? I have what I need to do it but am hesitant. I know my filter is getting gross and I can't clean it off because with the safestart I can't do water changes and I can't rinse under the tap. I know changing it to a new filter completely while cycling will mess me all up. Help! :wideyed:

P.S. my cherries don't seem to be having any issues with the Ammonia level so that makes me happy. I love my little barbs. They come right to the front when I come and visit them.

Barch

Valued Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't bother with the filter and cleaning it. That's where good bacteria grows, you never want to rinse it with clean water only old tank water. Just rinse it off in the bucket of old tank water when you do your next water change. Keep doing 25-50 percent water changes every day or two until your cycle is finished. Only thing I would do is go to your local petsmart and buy a filter sponge, shove it in behind the carbon and allow that to seed some bacteria. I still have my original carbon after 6 months, the carbon isn't active any longer but the bacteria is still on the filter floss. You can always just get yourself some pillow stuffing too and use as filter floss, but it's usually cheaper to just buy a filter sponge at PetSmart.

Ignore the light on the filter it's useless

Ignore any and all quick fixes such as bottled bacteria. Just keep the water changes up. If your fish aren't dead yet they'll be fine just keep doing what your doing until your ammonia and nitires are 0

Smiley0515

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
MAGA said:
I wouldn't bother with the filter and cleaning it. That's where good bacteria grows, you never want to rinse it with clean water only old tank water. Just rinse it off in the bucket of old tank water when you do your next water change. Keep doing 25-50 percent water changes every day or two until your cycle is finished. Only thing I would do is go to your local petsmart and buy a filter sponge, shove it in behind the carbon and allow that to seed some bacteria. I still have my original carbon after 6 months, the carbon isn't active any longer but the bacteria is still on the filter floss. You can always just get yourself some pillow stuffing too and use as filter floss, but it's usually cheaper to just buy a filter sponge at PetSmart.

Ignore the light on the filter it's useless

Ignore any and all quick fixes such as bottled bacteria. Just keep the water changes up. If your fish aren't dead yet they'll be fine just keep doing what your doing until your ammonia and nitires are 0
My post stated that I have already used bottled bacteria which was tetrasafe plus about 5 days ago. I cannot do water changes for 14 days. Still wondering if I can do the mod of the filter in the video above because i have the filter floss already and the ceramic balls. Also, there is already a sponge in the filter since Aqueon provided a space for it.

Barch

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yes you can still do the mod

Skavatar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
yes, the bacteria will be growing on the filter material. just cut it off the cartridge/frame. rinse it gently in old tank water. place it in the 1st reservoir. the water will pass through it first and help spread the bacteria to the rest of the filter materials in the filter.

Smiley0515

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Skavatar said:
yes, the bacteria will be growing on the filter material. just cut it off the cartridge/frame. rinse it gently in old tank water. place it in the 1st reservoir. the water will pass through it first and help spread the bacteria to the rest of the filter materials in the filter.
Thanks Skavatar, I did what you mentioned. Unfortunately I couldn't put all of the filter pieces in because it was causing the water spill over rather than pass it all through the floss. If that's ok then I'll put the other piece in there. I also have a bag of fluval ceramic beads in the tank. Right now my water is s bit cloudy... It's been happening over the last few days. Unfortunately I cannot change the water yet because it only been 6 days since I added the TSS. Any feedback on if I did this correctly? I'm also have a bit of a brown algae bloom but I read that's because of the silicone holding my tank together and it will go away in time. I may get some nerite snails once the cycle is done unless I can put them in now? Water parameters are between 5 and 10ppm nitrates, hard to tell, seems kind of in between. 1ppm Ammonia and 0 nitrites.
20181027_133241.jpg
20181027_133335.jpg
20181027_133313.jpg

Nj fish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Just go to walmart or your lfs and get a bottle of tetra safe start. I have been using it for all my tanks.

Smiley0515

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Nj fish said:
Just go to walmart or your lfs and get a bottle of tetra safe start. I have been using it for all my tanks.
Already added the TSS about 7 days ago. I thing the water is cloudy due to a bacteria bloom which would be a good thing if I'm not mistaken.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom