10 gallon crawfish tank

1. josh7 Well Known Member Member

My freind caught a crawdad today and went a bought a 10 gallon tank for it I already seeded it and he has the 1 crawfish it is a cambaridae camburus and he was wanting some type of care sheet and was wondering if he could add another to go with this one.

2. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

3. josh7 Well Known Member Member

Okay i will tell him not to add another one because of the territorial reasons.

4. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Crayfish are cannibalistic. I didn't look up the species you stated, but unless it's a dwarf the 10 gallon is a temporary tank at best. They are excellent escape artists, though Ive only ever had them escape from 10 gallon tanks. Never in a 20 or 29. A 40 breeder is probably the smallest tank I would attempt two crayfish in.

5. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

some crayfish will work in a 10, but once it gets over 3 inches id upgrade it to 20 long. if he wants multiple crays in a 10 he should try CPO's (dwarf mexican orange crayfish). you could keep atleast 2 pairs in a 10 gallon.

6. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

"working" to me means a permanent home. If you have to upgrade, then the old tank didn't work.

I tried to keep several CPOs in a 10 and they, like their full size cousins, are cannibalistic. The biggest issue I had was keeping them from killing each other, which I did not manage to fix.

I would personally try dwarf cajun crayfish instead of CPOs, as they are significantly cheaper.

7. josh7 Well Known Member Member

I will just tell him to stick to the one cray thanks for the input.

8. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

really? ive never heard they are cannavalistic, weird. anyway what i was saying, since he's unsure of the actual species then he could do by size and if it gets past 3 inches it should be upgraded, thats what i was trying to say.

9. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

10. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

ok i believe you. i just thought one of the reasons they were so popular is bc they werent cannibalistic, but i guess i was wrong.

11. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I didn't expect that to be the case, but it was with both the dwarf species and the regular ones.

I hear that marmorkrebs are the exception, though.